Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins 6.354

lugnutt ยท 2017-10-07 21:56

Hi, I have an old forklift with a Perkins 6.354 that I took to a shop and had it rebuilt @ 2 years ago. The engine burns oil and I thought it may need time for the rings to seat. Any idea why it continues to burn oil? I was thinking of removing the head and checking the valves, guides and seals. Any ideas? thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2017-10-07 22:00

    How many hours since the rebuild? Could be that the rings just haven't seated because it hasn't been run hard enough. Especially on an old forklift, I can see this being something that's used only lightly, on pavement and for short stints. The next time you use it for something, do some hill climbing for a half hour afterwards.

  2. #2Welder Dave2017-10-07 22:12

    Yes, they say to work a newly rebuilt diesel. The 6-354 is one the best and most fuel efficient engines ever made. It is possible the new rings haven't seated. It must be a pretty big forklift with around 100 HP. My rings didn't seat and it wasn't smoking or anything but was using a lot of oil. They said to put 500 hours on it but it never improved. Good thing the place had good warranty. First lost oil pressure after 16.5 hours because oil pump gear sheared two teeth off. Then was using way too much oil. I had to get the machine to them but they pulled the engine the 3rd time on their dime. Sometimes it pays to take things to people who have experience and warranty.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2017-10-09 00:06

    I assume you don't use ether in it. Perkins hate ether and will quickly show the effects of it. We had a 6-354 in a Tree Farmer log skidder with over 10,000 hours on it and running good when we traded it. Always preheated the engine with quick couplers from a warm engine in the winter. How much oil does it use in a day? Is it mostly low RPM work? May need some harder work.