i Wanted to ask the masses if anyone has ever come across this. I’m replacing a turbo on a Perkins 854, that’s in a Terex track steer. In order to get the turbo out, I had to remove a valve on the intake manifold. I believe it’s called a metering valve. The part number is T419490. Anyway, I took the valve off by taking 5 or 6 torq screws off, took the valve off, and got the turbo out. I’m getting ready to put the turbo back in and I see that valve has a screen and a rubber gasket. So I call diesel parts direct to order the gasket and they tell me I can’t replace it, I gotta replace the valve. The valve is almost 2 grand! So what they’re telling me is that Perkins made a component that comes apart with common hand tools, but when you do, you’re in for a $2000 bill? I’ve been working on engines for a long dang time, and I have never heard of such nonsense. Has anyone else? Am I off my rocker here?
Can you take a photo of it? Might be able to track it down as a Cat part number.
The first .jpeg is the part I actually removed. You can see the screen and the rubber gasket. The second is out of the manual. Index #1 is the part in question.
What does that thing do anyway, is that an EGR valve?
That would be a Cat C3.4B I believe. Valve part number is 4638913 and, confirmed, you can't get seperate parts for it I'm afraid.
So the number 2 or possibly 15 don’t show “gasket” or something like that?
No. Item 15 is the valve and I can't break it down any further.
Thank you sir! I have an email into Perkins down in Florida. They're doing an inventory so won't be able to get back to me until maybe next week. This is so frustrating to me, I just can't believe what I'm seeing. I'll post up what I find. Maybe I'll just slap the dang thing back together and call it good.
Well, after the rude *** down in Florida told me to RTFM, I told him where to stick it. So, bottom line, that's not supposed to come apart. More accurately, there are no replaceable parts in there. I asked him if he had ever heard of one-way fasteners, rivets, welding... there were 99 solutions to this problem and they picked the absolutely worst one. I'm just going to put it back together and move on. Perkins.