Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins Diesel Engine injector O-Rings gone hard within 2 days!!

Hazhar · 2021-02-05 06:39

Guys, Could anyone help me with injector O-rings from perkins engine that after replacement have gone hard and broken within few days. They were fine for years and then were worn out had to replace them with new one and again gone hard and broken again. Perkins Generators HEUI 459-8473 injectors Regards Hazhar

Replies28
  1. #1thepumpguysc2021-02-05 08:33

    R u replacing them yourself.?? R u getting them from a Perkins dealer.?? R they coming in a Perkins bag.?? I’m thinking, if they’re not coming in a Perkins bag, your getting sold aftermarket.?? Or if they r coming in a Perkins bag, it’s time to explore some aftermarket options.?? Dipaco, Reliabuilt..??

  2. #2Hazhar2021-02-05 08:49

    Do you think oil type or brand could be of a change, or where can I find which type of oil should i use??

  3. #3Coaldust2021-02-05 14:10

    Slow down. Went from o-rings to engine oil in three posts. Lol. Let’s figure out the o-ring issue, first. Actually, how about a introduction? Tell us about yourself and how you found HEF.

  4. #4Truck Shop2021-02-05 18:17

    Speed up need to talk about that oil.

  5. #5lantraxco2021-02-05 19:53

    Fuel, coolant, chemicals, source of O-rings? If you're using Nitrile out of a hardware store kit, fuggedaboutit.

  6. #6Truck Shop2021-02-05 20:03

    Darn I was going to use those in my sink.

  7. #7lantraxco2021-02-05 20:05

    If you'd stop cooking meth in the kitchen....

  8. #8Truck Shop2021-02-05 20:09

    Darn I'm trying to build up my retirement fund-Breaking Bad.

  9. #9thepumpguysc2021-02-05 20:34

    And yet not 1 answered question.!!

  10. #10Truck Shop2021-02-05 21:42

    not trying to be funny -did expect answers without more questions?

  11. #11Hazhar2021-02-06 00:32

    Thanks Mate, I am Hazhar, am a mechanical engineer, living in Erbil Kurdistan/Iraq. I have been searching for information on Engine maintenance and so on, that is how I found about HEF.

  12. #12Hazhar2021-02-06 00:38

    Guys, I have replaced O-rings recently because it was mixing oil & diesel, So I got the O-rings replaced but within few days same problem occurred. I myself thought of Oil type could have affected the O-rings because the O-rings I purchased are not Original but they were meant to be good quality. The O-rings I talk about are from a HEUI injector in Perkins Engine Generator. What else could have hardened the O-rings? Could I have stressed them while I installed them? Could stressing it then lead to have harden ? Thanks In advance.

  13. #13Coaldust2021-02-06 01:08

    Hazhar, Welcome. The HEUI injectors see a lot of heat. The new o-rings you installed are probably a generic BUNA-N rubber material rated for 250 degree F and the heat caused the rubber to fail. The original factory installed o-rings are a proprietary viton blend (FMK). Which handles the heat much better. I highly recommend sourcing original equipment parts, in this instance. Which, may be very challenging where you work. Or, try finding some viton o-rings. Make sure to lubricate the injectors with engine oil before installing the new o-rings.

  14. #14lantraxco2021-02-06 01:54

    As I recall the O-rings on HEUI injectors are usually colored, Viton is usually brown or green, though I may remember red, orange, yellow somewhere along the line. Manufacturers like to mess with things.

  15. #15Coaldust2021-02-06 02:08

    Sealing HEUI injectors was a big issue in the early days. Look at all the updates and service bulletins from Ford, International Cat/Perkins over the years before a supplier was found to make a reliable seal. Allied Metrics Seals & Fasteners in New Jersey manufactures most of the OEM Ford, International & Cat HEUI injector o-ring kits, in those beautiful neon, pastel rainbow colors. I think to aid with proper install ID, more than anything.

  16. #16Coaldust2021-02-06 02:13

    I’ve tried the NAPA kits for the 7.3 PSD with bad results. Re-branded Doorman. I get about six months before they start leaking. Others have told me the same thing. Not sure where Doorman sources them. What’s my point? Stick with OEM or purchase Allied kits.

  17. #17Truck Shop2021-02-06 07:29

    This situation goes back to using OEM parts, just like the discussion on another thread about using aftermarket injectors.

  18. #18Nige2021-02-06 10:23

    I'll second Coaldust's comments about sealing HEUI injectors. Unless you use OEM seals (or seals made from the same material as used by the OEM) they will not last at all - as you have found. Regular black nitrile O-Ring material will not resist the heat in an engine cylinder head.

  19. #19Nige2021-02-06 10:44

    I'm going out on a limb and speculate a bit here. The Perkins Part Number in your photo (459-8473) is the same format as a Caterpillar Part Number would be. I suppose that should not be surprising, as Cat owns Perkins. However the particular Part Number does not appear in Caterpillar's online parts system. Looking online (Amazon) I found the same Part Number of injector listed for sale. The interesting thing is that all the advertisments I came across also stated that the same injector was suitable for a Cat C-9 engine. If that is true, and you have a Cat dealer local to you, then Caterpillar OEM O-Rings for a C-9 HEUI injector MIGHT JUST fit your Perkins injector. https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-C9-Perkins-Injector-459-8473/dp/B08LQ76BDZ Can you take a photo from the side of the injector showing the locations of the O-Rings and the copper sealing washer (if it has one).?

  20. #20Truck Shop2021-02-06 13:33

    It's why I'm a stickler about using only cat gasket sets. If anyone has resealed a Cat retarder-that's a job you don't want to do twice.

  21. #21Hazhar2021-02-07 01:12

    Thanks for replying, Well what I did is, I contacted the company which represents CAT and Perkins in this area, and got the O-rings but they didn't last a day. I believed they should be original but it is seems like they were not and/or they didn't give the right ones. The Perkins Generator I have uses a CAT engine. but the ones you sent is completely different.

  22. #22Nige2021-02-07 09:49

    Thanks for the photo. What you have to remember is that often internet sites use "generic" photos. This was apparently one of those cases. From a Cat Parts Manual this is what a C-9 injector looks like. It appears to be identical in design as your injector therefore IMHO it should use the same O-Rings. Now here's a thought that just struck me. When you removed the injectors the first time to reseal them did you clean out all the carbon that would have been in the bottom of the bore where the injector fits..? Because this design of injector does not use a sacrificial copper washer to seal the joint between the tip of the injector and the cylinder head.

  23. #23Nige2021-02-07 09:56

    Here's the injector installation procedure. It may help you.

  24. #24Nige2021-02-07 10:23

    The top side should have two backup rings not one, and I’ll be honest that I have never seen a red backup ring on an injector before. EDiT: I'm sure the O-Rings should be a coffee brown colour, and the backup rings I recall were green. or it could be the other way around, but I certainly remember green & brown somewhere. Also the five Part Numbers listed in post #23 above are only used in fuel injectors. They have no use other than that, implying (to me anyway) that they are made from a specific material designed to work with fuel injection systems.

  25. #25Truck Shop2021-02-07 12:23

    And to go with what Nige said {on a 3406E or C15} do not use any aftermarket o-rings to seal the injector coolant jacket sleeves. Cat only and those are dark blue. Plus it is recommended to put a light coating of Cat green loctite on those o-rings before installation. Any o-ring other than Cat can't take the heat and it won't be long before it's pushing coolant into the fuel and fuel into the coolant. just adding my two cents.

  26. #26Nige2021-02-07 13:39

    Worn injector sleeves (#4 below).? Can you feel or see any sort of damage where the lower O-Rings sit.? From the installation procedure. "Inspect the unit injector sleeve for damage. If the unit injector sleeve is worn or damaged it should be replaced."

  27. #27Hazhar2021-02-08 05:42

    Thanks Alot Man, I will have a double look at it again. Regards

  28. #28VEP Engine Parts2021-02-09 03:47

    Through the inspection by VEP engineers, this is the injector of CAT C9 Engine. You need to check whether other parts of your injector can be used normally. If possible, we can provide you with a new O ring. Please Contact VEP CAT Engine Parts .