Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Wiring upgraded points style ignition

mattyt1984 ยท 2021-02-05 15:28

Attatched are pics how do these get wired I have a red and purple wire coming out the round coil.

Replies10
  1. #1kshansen2021-02-05 16:15

    Might help to know what this engine is, that sure looks like a Prestolite electronic distributor. I actually have one of those modules but no instructions on how to wire it. I believe those wire have to be connected to the ignition coil but right off can not find a clear diagram online.

  2. #2mattyt19842021-02-05 16:28

    It's a hercules g 1600. Yes it's a prestolite distributor.

  3. #3kshansen2021-02-06 07:10

    After a lot of digging I think I might have the answer. Only thing is seems Prestolite changed the color of one of the wires. They all seem to have a red but the other wire color varies. Yours has red and purple, I have one of those modules with red and tan and I believe I saw one with red and some other color. I can only assume the color of the second wire in some way told someone at Prestolite something about the module. All that said the easy to understand diagram I found shows red and black so I would think of your purple wire as being black! See the attached picture: Red wire being hooked to the + terminal on the coil along with the switched wire from the ignition switch.

  4. #4mattyt19842021-02-06 07:34

    Ok that's how I have it wired and I am getting no spark still. When I bought engine this was not connected so I didn't have anything to go by.

  5. #5funwithfuel2021-02-06 08:20

    Have you adjusted the air gap from relucter to stator? Have you places a test light (grounded on power) to your negative side of coil and checked for pulse while cranking? Lastly, have you checked the coil integrity? Is it shorted or leaking.

  6. #6mattyt19842021-02-06 10:15

    Tried 2 new coils tested them and are good. Air gap is good. But no spark

  7. #7funwithfuel2021-02-06 10:30

    But are you getting a pulse while cranking? If the coil doesn't have any dwell time, it can't build a spark.

  8. #8mattyt19842021-02-06 11:22

    While cranking no pulse it never seems to make a ground

  9. #9funwithfuel2021-02-06 11:46

    Then odds are your pickup is failed. There are tons of aftermarket sources. Just make sure you match the voltage. 6, 12 or 24

  10. #10BillG2021-02-06 12:08

    Try this, it should tel you where the problem is.