G'day guys Just wondering if anyone has any experiences with the 854F-E34T Perkins we are looking to run it in our smaller loaders like a CAT908 size machine aimed at the North American market. But not sure if it is a common model in the US thought i would ask the guys on here. Thanks again to everyone who gives feed back
Not familiar with that particular Perkins engine BUT JCB uses some Perkins Diesels in their Tractors that are sold in the U.S. Teh CAt 980 looks like a JCB 406.. Althought they put a Duetz engine in their 406
Years agoe Perkins was a great engine.
you guys thing the qullity is the same now as it was back then? i seem to hear from a lot of older blokes that Perkins is the way to go but a lot of guys seem to have no experience with them. so it is hard to know.
Some Perkins engines are being manufactured under license in China. I happen to own one with 1300 hours on it that is now scrap metal.
Curious as to what hp range this is? I'm guessing 80 to 100. My backhoe has the 3054 Cat which is a Perkins. All the new Massey tractors use them as well as JCB. I think they are great engines.Very fuel efficient and today that is big. My 416 is turboed engine , as far as the hydraulics it has plenty of power. Pushing sometimes it seems a little light but I will sacrifice that for economy . It fills the bucket fine , just when cutting. I know the comparible John Deere is more powerful but fuel consumption is lots greater. Maybe you can give me a job in your R&D department.
Yeah steve i remember reading about it i thought your one ended up coming from the UK? well the ones Perkins is trying to push me is made directly by them in china at there factory. I think they got out of the joint ventures and went at it themselfs. But i would love to learn more about it.
I assumed mine was British when I bought the machine, I thought at that time all Perkins were. I've done research since and by looking at the casting number it appears mine was made in China, a real disappointment to me. It self destructed due to a metallurgy failure within the oil pump.
well i tell you what steve it has got me worried as i wonder how many of them are the same i mean i have seen chinese pitching these engines are UK built and i wonder just how many of them are? i mean i have seen so many chinese skid loaders and mini excavators all saying that they are UK perkins seems like it might all be a load of BS
Steve, now you know how i feel about dodgy china made engines that get put into mediun to light machinery that gets exported to U.S.A. Australia and who known where else. (see my thread about motor for Wombat Skid Steer loader). The actual machine looks excellent ad holds up well in my case but after replacing my motor with the same in port when i had issues and it lasted 50 Hrs before overheating and other dramas, i think you got a real good run out of yours in comparrison.I just dont trust the either metal used, or the machining or assembly of their motors, i dont thik they care about quality end of story.
MADE IN UK... that is a slippery slope. The Lawyers have played games with this statement. It can be totally assembled in china expept for the last bolt. Put that Bolt in while in a factory in the UK and it is OK to slap on that Made in UK label. Assembled in China/ Made in the UK
sounds like an iphone made in america assembled in china. all it really is , is marketing
JGS, Isn't Perkins a subsidiary of Caterpillar? Might be a tight-rope walk to buy engines for a loader that competes with the 908. Where I am, in western Nevada, Perkins doesn't have a good reputation.
Well Jim would Cummins be a better bet then? they are telling me these cummins are manufactured in Japan and they meet the new EPA 4 for the US so I am wondering what would be the better bet.
There's a gazillion Cummins engines in equipment in N and S America. I don't think that any one would be critical of your machine for having a Cummins engine in it.
Perkins engines are a well known and well liked World Class engine, I think CAT bought them in 1998? they were used by Komatsu before this date in the Dash 5 series Excavators that in many peoples minds was the best Komatsu Excavators ever built, in the U.K. we only like the Home built units, the small motors are a bit of a Mystery here, any trouble with your Perkapillar Call Caterpillar Inc USA as they own em.
Perkins are still used in JCB. Other options would be Iveco or Yanmar , Mitsubishi , Duetz. Cummins would probably be a good choice because of parts and a lot of people are familiar with them.
Not Duetz. Two weeks ago I had the timing belt fail in a 3 liter Duetz. (A rubber tooth belt cam drive in a diesel engine...?)(Also the engine-mounted hydraulic pump drive is a rubber tooth belt.) When I was ordering the parts to fix it, the rubber timing belt and tensioner pulley and pushrods and rocker pedestal bolts, the parts guy says to me 'The Germans are smart, they designed the pushrods to bend and the rocker pedestal bolts to break when the pistons hit the valves, so there won't be any damage to the engine.' (!!!) 'Bent pushrods and broken rocker arm bolts are not damage to the engine?' asks I with the hardest stare I could manage. The irony and the hard stare were totally wasted on a 23 year old with an earring in his nose and tattoos on his neck... JGS, FWIW, for your loader, I'd only pick an engine that has a long/good track record in construction equipment (not something that's only got use in ag tractors). Something that's already used other in mini-loaders, and skid-steers, etc. I'd feel good buying something that has the same engine as a Deere, Cat or Case mini-loader.
Well what worries me is like what steve said , see cummins is telling me the engine i want to run is manufactured in Japan but i am starting to wonder if it is really made there the model i am looking at is the B3.3-C60 (teir4i) anyone got any experience with this model? I know with the new Komtsu excavators 65% of all the parts inside the engine are manufactured in china the local reps in china are using it as a selling point for the price of parts.
JCB ,Stopped useing Perkins Engines in their backhoes When Caterpillar bought the company . JCB uses their own Engine now .
JGS, I wouldn't get hung-up on exactly where the engines are made; I'd look at the installed track record in other construction equipment. And at the Tier 4 Final compliance, or whatever it'll have to be to sell your equipment here in NA in the next few years. I have a handful of 4BT and ISB4.5 engines (irrigation pump 4BT engines with 10 years and very many hours without failures). The B3.3 isn't the same family design as the larger B series. The larger B series are as bullet-proof as any engine I've seen. PS 4BT engines from Brazil have been as reliable as any others...
Thanks for that info Jim D mate i just want to sell something that i know the blokes in the states will be happy with. I have had great feedback in Australia with my machines even have been sent photos of them working in Australia , I know the markets are different as a hell of a lot of people have pointed out. just gotta figure out ow to get them into the market in the US. Would be happy to upload the photos if people wanted to see them.
No they didn't, it was another five or six years before they stopped, and after that Perkins still went into some backhoes and fast-tracs for certain customers.
It might be worth noting that Perkins Engines would have built the most well liked and proven engines in the World, the little 3 pot thing in P.C. or Direct injection form has no other engine known to better it, the rebuild kits for these little bangers are just a few ££, the cheapest engine on the Planet to repair or re-build, Cummins does not have an engine in this low basic class, the Phaser 1004-6 (1004 = CAT 3054)again is a tough little engine that would out last and out work any other engine within its class, plus when they are worn out they do up for buttons.
I'm afraid the old 3.152 has gone now, due to the emissions nonsense. It had a run of close to 50 years and very little changed in that time. The last ones still had nearly all unf bolts in them.
Well... only one half, or less, of the blokes here will ever be happy with any one thing or any one brand. It's the Ford vs Chevy thing (Ford vs Holden in Oz?) I'd like to see any pictures. Cat and Cummins have very good brand recognition and loyalty here. The only new Perkins engines I've seen have been Cat branded. If you had a Cat branded engine in your loader, the Cat lovers would swoon and the Cat haters would dis' it... vise versa for a Cummins engine. You can stand in the center of any bar in American any yell "Iveco and Yanmar engines are ****", and not one drink would be spilled... and a waitress would seat you at a table and ask you what you want to drink! (My silly way of looking at it is; I'd buy the heaviest engine, avoirdupois, for the requisite power. Never owned a B3.3, but the 4BT's are boat anchor heavy and they are boat anchor reliable. The light weight Duetz and VM engines that I have haven't been reliable, by construction standards.)
Jim don't forget to look at ISUZU they make some bullet proof engines.
That's the real drag, all the new engines are electronic, the old, good, mechanical ones are out of the picture in N American and the EU.
I've never had one! They have a good reputation here, but no one wears Isuzu branded hats or T-shirts here... You'd never be able to start an argument over here about whether you're looking at an Isuzu or a Diawou or a Mitsubishi or a Yanmar engine. "Wat zit?" "Duho no.." Only the mechanics say they know the difference, and we users don't believe them!
G'day guys Wow heaps of good info here well we looked at ISUZU and Yanmar problem we found is that they where not a good fit for the Transmission we run the only real choices we had left where Perkins and Cummins . Cummins in Australia is very good for us as we can use a Tier II or Tier III engine also with no issues so we can get them cheap and quick, but for the NA market that was not the case there can be upto a 5 months wait to get an engine from Cummins if it is for Tier IV, But I think we will stick with the Cummins for now and look at the Perkins a bit more down the road or have it as a cheaper option for customers who want it. Also here is some photos of 2 of my smaller loaders in Australia , got really good feed back on these machines we are building another 8 machines this week coming all for export to Australia.
And here is the rest of the photos
JGS, That loader looks like it is a little bit larger than a 907/908 Cat. It looks like it has more height and reach, loading the truck. FWIW, here in N America, sales of machines to the ordinary bloke contractors are facilitated by the seller's financing of the purchase. Cat seems to big the 'big dog' in that arena, with available financing. It might be that a source for sales financing is more important than the brand of engine in the tractor, for sales here in NA. Cheers, Jim
G'day Jim yeah mate you are right in Aus its the same CAT now has 0.9% intrest on there machines and that and lets be hounest who has 500K sitting in the bank to just go out and buy a new machine and a lot of the banks and finacing mobs there rates are fairly high. that is why i think maybe in australia you see a lot of the chinese gear maybe more so then the states beacuse of lack of the EPA laws and also beacuse they are dirt cheap.