Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins Frost plug issues

Therapydoc · 2018-11-24 19:50

Have a 104.40T Perkins in my JCB backhoe and was putting in a freeze plug heater. Directions call for front or rear placement in the right Lower holes. Well I removed what I thought was the lower plug and there was a rod on each side of the hole. Didn’t seem right and coolant didn’t come out. What’s that plug hole for? Is that the internals of the engine? A we ran it for a few seconds to see if coolant would come out in case thermostat had to start opening to fill the motor since I had drained it prior. When running a very slow and tiny bit of oil trickled out the bottom of the hole. Obviously this was the wrong hole but didn’t know why a freeze plug would be to the internals. I removed the plug above it and coolant came out so I used that hole and pointed the heater in the opposite direction of directions as that’s the only way it would not hit the block. Two questions: when putting the frost plug back in the lower hole, does any kind of sealant need to be used? Old plug wasn’t damaged in removal so I assume it will work. 2. The plug is about 1 inch from the exhaust manifold, how do I prevent it from melting the wires for the heater?

Replies0

No replies yet.