Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air cooled Diesel engines.

hosspuller · 2018-11-25 14:55

I am considering a purchase of a Deutz-allis 6250 tractor. It's 28 years old at best. BUT .. I have no experience with the air cooled diesel engines. It has a Deutz F3L 912 engine What should I look at / for / in conditions or concerns. Does this tractor have a timing belt that should be changed ? Parts ? Service tools ? I'm on my own for all repairs / service since there are no local dealers. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. TIA

Replies11
  1. #1John C.2018-11-25 19:03

    Pull the sheet metal covers and see how much crude is stuck on the fins. If a lot then pass it by.

  2. #2repowerguy2018-11-26 04:48

    If it has loose or missing sheet metal ducting be careful. On a cold start listen carefully for a popping noise that goes away when it warms up, that is a head gasket blown from ether likely. Tough, durable, and easy to rebuild engines. Iv'e rebuilt a couple and they have some German quirks to them, but all in all a solid engine.

  3. #3funwithfuel2018-11-26 06:44

    X2 on solid platform. Yes, timing belt. You don't know when it was done, bank on doing it. As JohnC stated packed material in oil cooler and through cooling passageways in the head are warning signs. If it starts, runs and has power (without fogging the countryside) no loud knocks. Should be good to go. Someone posted a video a while back on LinkedIn. A little 4 banger deutz just chugging away on 3 with the rod blown out the side of the block. Didn't care , still had 3 and was still running this oil derek

  4. #4Vetech632018-11-26 06:57

    The Germans designed those deutz engine for tanks, very tough and can take a lot of abuse. If it starts right up and doesn't create a cloud, like said above, should be good to go.

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-11-26 13:08

    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...0682763551&refsrc=http://www.google.com/&_rdr Not a fan of Facebook but quickest link I could find

  6. #6hosspuller2018-11-26 14:38

    FWF … no blow by in that engine … PS … I did some further checking. The 912 & 913 Deutz engines have gears between the crack & cam shafts. The 1011 & 2010 engines have the belts. ( inspect every 500 hours, replace 5 years or 3000 hours )Thanks for the comments.

  7. #7funwithfuel2018-11-26 14:46

    I was unaware. I thought only the liquid cooled had gear drive. One less thing to be concerned with. I still stand by my position. They are stout.

  8. #8Cmark2018-11-26 15:15

    They are an old style air cooled pushrod engine. For a cold start you can push an excess fuel button on the FIP which lets the rack go to full fuel which will result in a fair cloud of smoke, but beware of any loud cracks and bangs from the top of the engine indicating head gasket trouble caused by, as mentioned by repowerguy, use of ether. Make sure the blower belt and tensioner are in A1 condition. If you do need to repair the top end, there's a special wrench for the head bolts and a tool to install the pushrod tubes that will make life easier, and you need to carefully set the bump clearance, but don't let this discourage you from buying one.

  9. #9Wes J2018-11-26 15:17

    What's everyone's opinion of the rest of the Deutz tractors? I've seen some but never had hands on one.

  10. #10newdanr2018-12-06 01:19

    Dad has a 1975 D100-06 Deutz. Starts great, runs like a top, they are famous for long life (if you keep the fins clean). Compared to North American tractors of the same vintage, they are typically lighter, and have lower pressure, low volume hydraulics. Nothing to keep them from working, just sometimes leaves you wishing for more. And the drivetrains are lighter - designed more for PTO-type work than heavy pulling in the field. Some of those engines were used for generators or irrigation pumping, where they ran for tens of thousands of hours. From what I've seen over on NewAgTalk forum, you actually have to change the fan from time to time for very, very high hours - the fan will move enough air to wear the fins enough to reduce airflow, especially in dusty conditions. danr

  11. #11hosspuller2018-12-06 01:32

    Thank you all … Some one wanted the machine more than I was willing to pay.