Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Perkins lift pump blowing oil

Knivens894 ยท 2014-11-16 12:50

I have a Perkins four cylinder tractor engine blowing engine oil out of the fuel lift pump vent hole. Has anyone experienced this problem before and know its cure? I suspect it is a ventilation problem for the crank case or some emissions control valve.

Replies7
  1. #1tpitt2014-11-16 14:16

    My JCB 214 is doing the same thing although not too bad. I bought a new lift pump from Ontrack. Just haven't installed it yet. It was fairly if I remember right.

  2. #2Knivens8942014-11-16 19:00

    "I suspect it is a ventilation problem for the crank case or some emissions control valve." If it were a bad lift pump, it would probably be putting diesel into the oil. I am guessing a PCV valve stuck or something else like that is pressurizing the crank case, causing the oil to leave where it can get out. Please let me know if the new pump solves the problem for you. Tomorrow I will get into the manuals to trace out the engine vent system. I'll let you know if I have any success.

  3. #3tpitt2014-11-16 20:54

    I meant to say priced fairly reasonable. I probably won't get it changed for some time. But the lift pump is lubricated. I don't know how much oil your losing, but mine is minimal.

  4. #4Knivens8942014-11-17 09:19

    Mine started as a slow weeping. I thought it was leaking around the pump mount, so I removed the pump, replaced the gasket and sealed it on both sides. Put gasket maker on both sides of the gasket, retorqued the bolts. It has now advanced to about a quart of oil an hour at high engine speeds with a steady drip. It increased over time.

  5. #5joe--h2014-11-17 10:44

    Remove oil cap, see what you get out there. Joe H

  6. #6Knivens8942015-01-01 18:58

    Problem Solved I had a service call from the dealer for a main injector pump leak. During his visit, I ask him about the oil from the fuel lift pump. He said to replace the pump, which I did, and it solved the problem.

  7. #7Dickjr.2015-01-01 19:40

    I think these pumps are somewhat problematic in two areas. This one leaking oil , and the other letting diesel fuel in the oil. One thing mine did , which is a 416C with a similar 1004 perkins , it will loose prime if not started for 3 days or more. If you manually work the pump , it fires up. For some reason mine seems to do this every couple thousand hours. A new replacement pump from Cat was 78$. Came with a gasket , and of course I ordered a gasket so if any body needs one pm me an address and I'll mail it to you.