Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Permanently mount a battery charger in my backhoe.

emmett518 ยท 2021-03-31 14:09

I don't expect to be using my backhoe daily, so I'd like to put a battery charger on to keep up the battery. Would it make sense to permanently wire a battery charger in the hoe so I can plug in the charger easily, rather than having a charger and wires hanging all over the place? I am going to put in a engine block heater if it doesn't have one, so I figured I could put a 110 volt socket on the hoe like they have on boats, and do both at the same time. I could switch each unit off the console. Thanks

Replies13
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2021-03-31 15:10

    There are small maintainers like the Napa 90-300A that get used on standby generators and other equipment that sits for long periods. I've had zero issues with them. Small and easy to mount. https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBC90300A

  2. #2edgephoto2021-03-31 18:26

    I have been considering putting a solar battery maintainer on my backhoe.

  3. #3NH575E2021-03-31 19:40

    I have SAE pigtials on all my batteries. I use a solar charger for maintenance but 120v chargers work also. The battery tender brand seems to be popular. I use their solar regulator on a 30w panel.

  4. #4Welder Dave2021-03-31 20:08

    Some battery chargers will back drain the battery if the cables are connected and the power is lost. Leaving a charger hooked up while running doesn't sound like a good idea.

  5. #5Tinkerer2021-03-31 21:31

    Agreed not a good idea. I wouldn't bother with mounting one in the machine. I would install a main disconnect switch instead. A good battery will hold it's charge a long time if there is no parasitic drain on it.

  6. #6stinky642021-04-01 01:15

    I have pigtails mounted on all my equipment batteries as well, and just move maintenance chargers around when it gets cold, not much need when it's warm...Block heater is a must if you live up north...A warm machine is a happy machine when it's cold....

  7. #7NH575E2021-04-01 09:48

    The low amp maintainers I have all have a light that tells you if it's charging or if the battery is charged. I rotate my solar maintainer between 2 tractors and a car. I put a switch between the solar panel and the maintainer. When I see the light is green I turn the panel off, move the lead to a different battery, and turn the panel back on.

  8. #8Dirttracker182021-04-01 10:58

    AS noted above, solar or a maintainer, both usually come with permanent wiring for the battery and a quick connect. The maintainers are good for the batteries and tend to extend battery life is you buy a quality unit.

  9. #9Coaldust2021-04-01 14:44

    I wire them in to the block heater circuit. Cold weather is when the batteries need the extra help.

  10. #10Rob Gunn2021-04-01 15:41

    I have a battery tender permanently on my JD 550 Dozer Diesel and my JD Gator Diesel. Both have good batteries but don't get much run time yearly, especially during winter months here in Michigan. I also always plug into a tender during the winter on my Harley Road King. Iv never had any issue with any of the batteries.

  11. #11kshansen2021-04-02 09:31

    Not really heavy equipment but on my motorcycles most of them have the battery connected with a two conductor SAE plug at the battery. Makes it simple to hook up from one to the other. Also works as a convenient power source for things like intercoms or GPS. Probably should add them to the old Farmall and Zero Turn mower. I'm not a big fan of having the charger mounted permanently mounted on anything especially a mobile piece of equipment that may be out in the weather and dirt.

  12. #12NH575E2021-04-02 10:52

    F.Y.I. This picture is for the charger end. When you install the pigtail on the tractor battery you want the positive lead to be the insulated side of the connector.

  13. #13kshansen2021-04-04 07:53

    Good eye! I missed that little detail! The ones I have installed all have the "hot" end the insulated one!