Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pesky Fire Hazards

DMiller ยท 2025-07-10 18:44

Seems all of teh most Recent new truck(Petes) arrivals have Master Disconnect switches installed, FACTORY. Seems a few odd ones of the units boss is buying have caught fire off hours no one around and Keys INSIDE a Office Lock Box. Insurers pushed Manufacturers to Install disconnects to stop random one time events that run through a row of Parked Equipment.

Replies5
  1. #1CM19952025-07-10 19:22

    No clue about the Petes but I do know our newer Cat machines with telematics will drain the batteries over time if the disconnect is not turn off.

  2. #2DMiller2025-07-10 19:38

    Kind of Similar but the machines of note are Randomly catching Fire from Onboard electronics faults.

  3. #392U 34062025-07-10 20:43

    The one wire on most machines that isn't fuse protected on pretty much every machine is that big starter cable. It's not often I see that cable routed or protected to a level I'd consider adequate for the level of potential destruction it can cause.

  4. #4Truck Shop2025-07-11 09:56

    On Freightliner--there is a battery shutoff by the drivers seat, but that only shuts down a portion of electronics. When towing batteries are recommended to be disconnected. When I tow I do shut off the switch by seat, because that shuts down any GPS on that vehicle so dispatch doesn't know where I'm at.

  5. #5skyking12025-07-11 11:10

    There are some beefy circuits out in vehicles that are hot all the time. Ford had a run with power seats burning vans and trucks down in the night.