Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Peterbilt 20k axle options

dieseldog5.9 · 2026-04-01 19:05

I have been shopping for a heavy steer axle to replace the 12k in my 379 peterbilt, I am under the impression that my 1999 truck would have come with an Eaton EFA20F4, however this is only from some random youtube video I came across. Does anyone know what model a 99 379 would have come from the factory with for 20k capacity? I have access to a D2000F that is from a 2016 Peterbilt 348, I believe it would be a spicer. The measurements for width and spring seem to match is there any major differences in these axles?

Replies10
  1. #1Coaldust2026-04-01 19:24

    Interesting project. All the 20k fronts on my rigs have big fat steer tires and twin steering boxes. The creeper cops at the chicken coups are always looking at the front tire widths hoping to catch an over-weight. During the coof, I could not find 385’s and resorted to using skinnies and they busted me a couple times. That’s how it goes being an outlaw tanker yanker.

  2. #2Truck Shop2026-04-01 19:40

    What matters is distance between spring pack tie bolts, and I'm assuming your figuring on changing spring packs too. But normally most go with a 16K front axle with single steering box using a tie rod. I think a something like a Meritor/Rockwell MFS-16-143A-N, Not saying it's the exact one needed but they are out there.

  3. #3dieseldog5.92026-04-01 20:50

    We just did this conversion on a Mack granite, Mack makes a standard axle for 10-14k, a heavy axle for 18-22k and another axle for 24k. After that my 12k axle in the Pete seams light. I picked up the heavier spring mounts and heavier steering box and auxilary piston and mount for the passenger side.

  4. #4cfherrman2026-04-02 20:45
  5. #5dieseldog5.92026-04-02 20:50

    Finally a use for AI, never thought of it, good information, What is the second most common?

  6. #6cfherrman2026-04-03 08:51

    Dana spicer Efa/ifa It also basically said 20k fronts were special order, which isn't everything special order on a truck lol

  7. #7crane operator2026-04-03 09:50

    In my area, heavy steer 379's aren't very common. It's really difficult to find any junkyard parts to make a light truck into heavy spec for a Pete. KW and Mack are much easier to find in heavy fronts. Either in a used truck, or as parts in a junkyard to swap. I can usually find heavy spec trucks, used lumberyard, block, roofing drywall trucks, but they are usually small motors. If I shop big block engines, they end up being in light front , big sleeper, road tractors. Heavy spec + big engines = big $ I can find oilfield trucks out of Oklahoma/texas, but those guys are pretty hard on their trucks. I always like seeing pictures of other people's projects.....

  8. #8dieseldog5.92026-04-03 10:32

    I agree with the above statement, I currently have a Mack Granite, and as far as working everyday it is a fine piece of equipment, large cab for the driver, AC works, Typical vocational truck. The Mack engine is a reliable engine for a dump truck and is good on fuel, not a contender for the left lane gang. I always wanted a Peterbilt but can't seem to find a 379, 18spd, heavy spec truck with a C15/3406E Cat, 20k front, 46k rears and 4 way locking rears, there is always one of the pieces missing, heavy axle-small engine, 475 cat/12k front, Hendrickson suspension-8LL. So I started with a double frame 379, 475 Cat, quad locks,18 speed and figured I could swap the axle to make it perfect. Years ago when I had an older western star, Truckshop's advice was if you are going to build an older truck best to make it a Peterbilt or a Kenworth. Subsequently I have bought 2 other Peterbilt trucks with some of these specs when they came up for short money.

  9. #9Truck Shop2026-04-03 11:37

    A big factor in these times for vocational trucks, maneuverability in various models.

  10. #10dieseldog5.92026-04-03 19:46

    Well I shot that in the foot, first truck is a 127 hood.