Acert C7. Got all my codes/logged events cleared off today. My problem has came down to the 25 code. However, the check engine light is not staying on all the time, just at certain times when the loss of power occurs. Would this code be logged into ET as logged event instead of active code since the light isn't staying on? Will the boost pressure sensor cause this fault?
What I have lists it as boost pressure open or short circuit.
Engine serial number..?
Serial number tag gone... :Banghead Where can I find it on the block?
Didn't you get an ET download when all the codes were wiped...? The engine S/N will be right there in the Configuration Screen. If not call and ask whoever did it for you.
Didn't get the printout Nige. I'll try to get it tomorrow.
Finally found some information on this under the engine S/N prefix KAL. As you correctly stated Code 25 is related to the boost pressure sensor, CID 0102. However the one code covers no less than five different faults, as follows:- 0102-01 - low boost pressure 0102-02 - boost pressure signal erratic 0102-03 - boost pressure sensor voltage high 0102-04 - boost pressure sensor voltage low 0102-07 - boost pressure sensor not responding Unless the problem continues for long enough to log a code the only way I could see to identify which one of the possible faults is causing the problem would be to run the truck with ET active and have someone in the passenger seat monitor the boost pressure sensor signal.
My prefix is KAL. The check engine light has stopped coming on, truck is still really really weak. Swapped a known good BPS and still doing the same. I may have to end up taking it to the dealer to fix. I have no ET myself. :Banghead
Correction, per ET my engine serial #is 11000600????? I have the 370hp upgrade. Do you need a recal after boost pressure sensor install?
Where did you get the info regarding the KAL s/n prefix...? 11000600 as a s/n makes no sense at all. Also what's the deal about 370Bhp..? I can't see any arrangements of the KAL prefix C7 rated at any more than 330BHP. Was the upgrade done by a Cat dealer..? Do you know what Flash File Part Number is currently installed in the ECM..?
KAL was old engine serial #. It's an emergency vehicle flash in for the 370. Upgrade done by dealer. That is what ET tells me my engine serial # is????
That's probably coming up as overboost. Do you have a boost gauge? On mine the atmospheric pressure sensor was going out and would cause the boost pressure gauge to start at a number higher than 0 at idle. So if I came to a stoplight the bps read 5psi then as I accelerate it would add 5psi to actual reading tripping light and defuelling. If that makes sense.
If the same dealer has worked on this engine for a while now I'd suggest they should be the ones you should be talking to regarding the engine S/N. Let's face it, without a S/N how can you order parts for example..? Especially when you consider there are probably a couple of hundred different arrangements of the KAL prefix C7 engine. How would you know which was the correct one...? I'd still be interested to know what Flash File it has in it.
Flash file really won't have any bearing on ordering parts. Kal serial is what he needs. If the flash file he got works on his kal that means all of the hard parts are the same. Injectors turbo pistons etc. Kal serial is needed for parts like mounts, fan, etc that will be paccar specific.
I can trace any flash file part number directly to the engine arrangement number in which it's used. That's why I was asking for it.
I haven't checked it under load. At idle, on ET boost is 0. I can't run any test because the Ambient air temp sensor doesn't exist on this engine and it's showing as an active code and won't let me do any testing on ET... :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead This is a mess. Apparently they done away with that sensor for the tune. Wonder how that would effect it if I put it back to get the code off to test?
I hate to pay them 90+ an hour to fix what they did previously. I have to do something for the ambient air sensor. I tried crossing over the wiring for the sensor but no avail.
So you have had an engine replacement..? Who installed the replacement engine, the dealer or someone else..? If it was the dealer you have every right to start banging the table and demanding answers without having to pay $90/hour for the privilege IMHO.
This truck was purchased new by CAT Earthmoving dealer. They ran it ten years and then they sell them. Engine wAs changed. The engine I have now only has almost 4500 hrs. I think the tech that drove the truck done all these tunes. It was sold as is where is...we bought it from them.
As I said before there are no C7 on-highway engines rated at more than 330BHP. If the dealer is playing fast and loose with flash files and engine tunes by setting an engine up with power it was never designed to have in the first place threaten to spill the beans to Cat unless they pull their finger out and help you. That might just bring them to their senses.
350 and 370 for emergency vehicles on highway and motorhomes too. Don't think it's outta line. At 370 it's still not maxed out and blowing smoke either. Did I read right there is no ambient air sensor on your motor? Pretty sure it needs it to calculate egts. They will defuel if it calculates high egts on a hard pull. You almost have to drive it and monitor atmospheric pressure sensor. My bad one gave me fits to diagnose until I saw it live. One mile it was fine next it wasn't. You can unplug it and it will read just above sea level. Light will come on but if you notice more power and consistent power that's your answer.
According to SIS, the pins that are for the ambient temp sensor, the wires are strung and tied up to the firewall. Nothing connected to the two wire connector. Where does this sensor even go? The intake air sensor is tied up too with plug in intake. Boost pressure sensor is the only sensor on intake.
I agree, but not if the engine is a KAL prefix. The higher HP versions are a different S/N range, RMF prefix if I'm not mistaken, and have some different iron inside them than cooking models with 300BHP or less.
KAL was old serial number prefix Nige I found wrote down in glove box. I have no clue why this serial number is all numbers...I can't see the number on the block for the frame...
Surely the dealer who sold it will have details of the replacement engine if they installed it before the sale to you..? It's worth a try, because IMHO once we've figured out what you've actually got under the hood we're probably half way to fixing the problem.
They're not offering much help tbh.. I'm going to call them on Monday and try again. The wastegate line is pinched off as well.. The truck ran great the first two months now it's fell on its face. It does run nice though when right.. I've got to get the ambient sensor lined out though to run any tests..
I forgot to add this is a Reman engine..
That shouldn't make any difference. In addition to the Reman S/N a reman engine is usually marked on the S/N plate with something like "for parts and service information use S/N xxxxxxxx". That S/N is either the OEM engine which was used to build the Reman engine or is a typical S/N of an engine arrangement that is identical to the Reman engine.
Looks like the dealer is saying it is an SAP prefix. Checked fuel pressure today, 73-75 psi at idle. High idle 80-83. I went through the fuel system, checked all sensors. The only thing i have questionable, is the fuel pressure regulator. What is the proper way to check this regulator?? Is the regulator only for fuel bleed back purposes?
Well that's fine then. It only narrows it down to about 400 or so possibilities........ Is there any chance they can come up with an Arrangement Number...? FYI later KAL prefix engines and all SAP prefix engines pretty much share the same possible combinations of Arrangement Numbers. Correct. The regulator is a spring-loaded check valve set at 5psi. When the pressure in the fuel rail in the cylinder head is lower than 5psi (like when the engine is not running) the spring forces the check valve closed so as to prevent fuel draining back to the tank. If this valve was dodgy IMHO you would be having hard starting issues, especially if the engine sat overnight for example.
I found a temp sensor to plug up to the ambient air harness. Hopefully the code will go off so I can run some test on ET. I changed the regulator the tip was sticking out of the end and when I split it, the small o ring inside was cut. Didn't help power issues as known, but it was faulty and needed replaced. My fuel pressures seem to be where they need to be, I'm leaning towards a boost issue. I'm going to hook it to ET and see what I got. If the Huei was bad, would it keep good pressure at low and high idle?
Fuel pressure is generated by the fuel transfer pump which is independent of the HEUI pump, so even if something was out of whack on the HEUI side it shouldn't affect fuel pressure, in the fuel rail at least.
Which is on the back of the HEUI.. I'm not really familiar with this HEUI setup. I'm about to figure it out though. Thanks Nige!
I wish I was at home. I could download you the complete system operation for the HEUI system an email it to you. Unfortunately for you I'm on a beach somewhere and my options are severely limited. Maybe someone else can help..? Quite simply the HEUI system has 3 separate components - 2 mechanical and one electronic. First there is the low pressure fuel system supplied from the transfer pump which is mounted on the back of the HEUI pump that keeps the fuel rail in the cylinder head full of fuel at somewhere around 75psi right up as far as the injectors. Second is the HEUI system that is full of oil at high pressure (2000psi+) generated by the HEUI pump. The actual pressure generated is somewhat variable and is controlled by the IAPCV (injection actuation pressure control valve). The IAPCV and the injectors are controlled by the engine ECM which effectively tells the system how much hydraulic pressure to generate in the system and how long each injector will open to supply the necessary amount of fuel at any given time. When an injector solenoid is activated the hydraulic pressure in the HEUI system is what operates the injector to fire in the fuel, it's just a unit injector but operated by hydraulic pressure rather than by a pushrod from the camshaft.
Okay, had a 30 degree day a few days ago, truck was fine. Now it's been in the teens low teens and it's been a struggle! Start, run a few seconds, then shut down. Try to start back, no start just crank. Let sit ten minutes, starts up runs a few then the same. When it does start, it is not idling up for the cold start either.. Now what?
Can you give me any info on the engine temp sensor Nige?
Their absolutely are 370/1000 tunes out there. Its a souped up cat win flash file
But is it a standard Cat flash file and is it designed to be installed in a KAL-prefix motor.? It was noted before that higher HP is available but with a different S/N prefix engine that has different iron inside it.