I found these on Craigslist very close to my land, thinking of looking at them and possibly grabbing the "better one". http://buffalo.craigslist.org/hvo/5678876984.html Thing is, I do not know anything about them... Does anyone have any experience with these? They look like predecessors to today's Telehandlers...
Yes, they're basic, maybe crude, and built like a brick outhouse. The gas tank built into the frame under the engine might be a problem if you use them only occasionally. I haven't seen the second one before, the true "missing link" between the carry lift, and telehandlers.
I went and looked at them yesterday, I'm pretty interested in the telescopic one (Model 88). The only part I don't like about it is it has a gas engine, I would have preferred diesel.
Good luck finding a diesel telehandler for $3,500. What is the gas engine? an IH? or Chrysler? If it runs smooth with normal blowby, I'd prefer that over the Detroit that some of the pettibones come with. Gas engines were pretty much perfected by the time these were made. Some of the diesels needed more refinement.
I remember those. I asked why at one company all the o/s forklifts were Pettibone. An operator told me they were the only 4wd forklift available at the time where the operator could easily see the tips of his forks. (Unlike loaders)
I'm getting the Model 88 for $3000, comes with parts and service manual too. The engine is an IH straight 6, not sure what size. The mech fuel pump has already been bypassed by an electric one. I do have to fix a few things before I can use it, there are no brakes. E-Brake does not work, and some vandals had cut the braided brake lines. The radiator also has some damage to the core, I'll have to do a bit of nipping & soldering. Hope this proves to be a handy machine for me, it was an impulse buy.
Ok, so I bought the machine, it has the following main components: International Harvester UB-240 engine, s/n: 4979HANLQI Funk Reversomatic RCA23121 transmission, s/n 30763 Michigan Transaxle 165B transfer case Michigan Transaxle PS-151 front & rear axles Anyone know where I can find out the specifications on the engine/trans? How much HP etc...
Took delivery of my new toy: http://imgur.com/a/zgEKA A couple things need to be fixed right away, namely the hydraulic brakes, the parking brake and the front sway hydraulics. The machine continually sways to the right, constantly putting a load on the engine. The spool valve might need to be rebuilt? I'd love to talk to someone who has experience working on these.