Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pettibone Multicrane 25, need some help

OldStuffGuy ยท 2013-05-27 19:07

Hi. I just purchased an old (probably 1965?) Pettibone Multicrane 25. It is just for use on my farm and so far it works well. But the extension boom does not extend. The main boom extends fully and all other functions operate properly, but the extension does not extend to allow the extra length of boom. Can anyone help me with this issue? I have an operator's manual, but there is no other instruction about extending the boom except for the single lever, so I am guessing that the extension boom should extend when the main boom has fully extended without using any other levers. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies14
  1. #1BillG2013-05-27 20:11

    Are you saying the inner section does not extend or the center? If the first stage (larger of the two) goes out normally, when it hits the stop does the engine pull down or stay at the same speed?

  2. #2HATCHEQUIP2013-05-27 20:29

    should have another lever for that function

  3. #3OldStuffGuy2013-05-27 20:39

    When the larger boom has extended out all the way, the engine pulls down some.

  4. #4BillG2013-05-27 20:45

    I have seen 25's set up a couple different ways. How many hoses do you see going into the boom (not the winch)?

  5. #5HATCHEQUIP2013-05-27 20:54

    Does it still have the hose reel in between the boom tower uprights

  6. #6OldStuffGuy2013-05-27 21:04

    There are only two hydraulic hoses going into the boom.

  7. #7OldStuffGuy2013-05-27 21:11

    No, there is no hose reel that I can see. Would that be near the cable drum?

  8. #8BillG2013-05-27 21:18

    Follow the hoses into the boom and you will find a sequencing valve. This valve transfers flow to the second cylinder when the first reaches full extension and vise versa. Find an immoveable object such as a large tree or concrete abutment. Place the boom head on against it and release the brakes and place the transmission in neutral. Operate the boom extend valve and see if the boom will move the machine in reverse.

  9. #9OldStuffGuy2013-05-27 21:22

    Thanks for that suggestion. I was wondering if something like that would tell me something. I will try that tomorrow and let you know what happened.

  10. #10HATCHEQUIP2013-05-27 21:31

    Does it have a control lever that doesn't do anything was wandering if someone might have disconnected because of a problem

  11. #11OldStuffGuy2013-05-28 06:11

    I was looking for some control that was not connected, but so far everything I can find is connected (or appears to be) and effects some action. I will look again and see if any levers may be dual action. Thanks for the suggestion.

  12. #12Tiny2013-05-28 20:09

    Haven't been around a 25 but and an old tk 160 we had , had what I called a dead section of boom ...Had to swap a pin around to push out the dead section then re pin it , suck the cylinder back in to pick up the next .

  13. #13Tiny2013-05-28 22:07

    looks like one lever does it all http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dCIJe5Ir_g

  14. #14BobCatBob2013-05-29 09:59

    I'm in the process of refurbishing an old Galion 150 (just finished resealing all the outrigger cylinders), and went through the same exercise with the boom. Once you've "crowded" out your 1st section, there is another lever to "crowd" out the next section(s). There should be a hose real on the side of the crane if more than two sections.