Steve , Just some quick info . Pettibone did make a " neck breaker " like Galion had . The Company I worked for had a 36 rt , 36 rt swing cab and a TK 160 truck crane . I'll throw out some quick pictures from brochures and see if any one is interested .
In my area that's all we saw. I can't remember seeing any Galion's like in the other thread. It was weird how that appeared in my mind as if I was there LOL!! I've been a nut about machinery since I was a little kid and I'm pretty sure that's when I saw them, late 60s and early 70s.
Around Kansas City it seems to me anyways they were evenly split . Trouble was they were the same color when I was growing up , faded yellow . Paper work here shows that you could get a Detroit , Cummins , Hercules Diesel and a Hercules gas engine in one but Detroit was the only thing I ever saw ( or heard ) in one . Or in a Galion for that matter . Horse power ranged from 110 to 130 Looks like Pettibone called Rome New York Home so that might explain why they were all over in New York
Thanks for digging this up!! I don't remember the engines I'd have heard, at that age I hadn't developed my ability to recognize the difference. Now that we've been talking about Pettibone, I seem to remember that name associated with Dynahoes as well. I do remember the majority of those were powered by Detroits. They were VERY popular in Westchester County and NYC, I'd see them (or hear them) on occasion here in Dutchess County.
i believe they were manufactured in rome, ny.
All I had to do was look ...
Almost all of my few hundred hours of crane experience was on one of those old Pettibones.
There is a Pettibone industrial crane in Frankfort, N.Y., one and only I ever seen, I even got it running and played around a bit with it, had a Continental 6 cyl. gas jobber.
Has anyone seen Pettibone that looks like this ??
An invisible one? :beatsme My first crane operator experience came on a Pettibone like that industrial model on your brochure, but it had no winch, just a hook on the end of the boom. It was ex-navy, the owner,(also ex navy) said it was a loader, not a crane.
We had a model 25 that look just like the one in the top picture. Came with the Hec. 3400 gas engine. Handy machine till another plant in the company borrowed it and as I heard they destroyed it some how as we never got it back They did the same with the P&H T750 we used to have!
The 36 helping to put together a 4100 ringer and the 80 ton truck crane at a refinery
My brother in law grew up in Rome, I'll have to ask him about this. Rome is a ghost town now, all industry has left and Griffis air base has closed.
They are apparently still in bis https://www.facebook.com/GoPettibone http://www.gopettibone.com/products/ Contact Us PETTIBONE World Headquarters: 1100 Superior Ave. Baraga, MI 49908 U.S.A. Phone: 906.353.4800 Toll Free: 800.GO.PETTIBONE (800.467.3884) Fax: 906.353.6325
Steve , The address On the brochure tells the same story you told about leaving Rome N.Y. . Google maps pic
Most of the Pettibone stuff I see today is railroad related and deals mostly with track maintenance. Haven't seen a model 36 in years and they used to be quite common.
Pettibone I am not sure how many manufacturing plants Pettibone had but they built them in Duluth, MN for many years. The first trucks cranes, 80 ton and them upgraded to 100 later, were built in Duluth. the first bunch of 100 tonners were ordered by the railroad, BN if I remember correctly. Many of my relatives and friends fathers worked A Pettibone. The Pettibone log skidders were built in Duluth also. In the mid 70s or so they shut the doors. Edit, The company I work for still buys only Pettibone zoom boom fork lifts. They have been reliable machines. We use all 6,000 lb lifts.
Pettibone also made wreckers for a short time. They didnt sell well and didnt make many, way less than 100
Ran many 'Bone' pickers in the past. Very uncomfortable! Outrigger controls jabbed you in the shoulder, couldn't hardly get in and out of the damn things. You had to remember to flip the axle the locks down to swing over the side on rubber or over she would go. Had nice winch control lever system-two levers, one for slow, the other was med., pull both for up-up! Notice the rad.grill in the sales brochure it was cast. Heavy! I remember they made a swing cab model that the cab looked like a phone booth, don't recall mod. #
I worked at a place that sold used equipment. They always had one around and it was a handy size. Most of them i was around had v6 cummins. One we used alot would start in below O weather with a little ether but it also need a little on a warm day. One bad thing about them was the hook on the block was forehead high so you always parked it with the cable let out a little. We got in one with a 4.53 with a basket case trans/drop box. I rebuilt it and we used it some before it was sold. It was a real screamer in the mud. I dont remember ever geting one stuck witch seams funny with all the mud we were in all the time.
Hello Tiny We have a Multikrane Pettibone Model 36 diesel engine Detroit and I need the catalog of his pieces, one of the group have? If you can help me I will be grateful. Walcio
Picked up one of these in a 36 model from auction in Eastern Colorado. Looking for a service manual on it.