My old Super 6-33 had a Fiat 6 cylinder transplanted in it when I brought it home. It was beyond tired. Always needed a few shots of ether to get it running no matter how warm it was. After using it for 20 minutes it would lose power so bad it would not lift a serious load. Knowing it was going to need a get a transplant from one of my spares I started looking and scratching my head envisioning the cobble-ability factor of engines I had on hand. I quickly got down to using either a 3-53 Detroit or a 242 Ford Dorset. The Dorset had been a good running power unit on a log loader/slasher that a friend wrecked. When I loaded it for the scrap yard for him he gave me the engine, clutch and hydraulic pump for my troubles. The Dorset won out because it had the correct #2 bell housing on it. Here's the first set of pictures. They are the motor mounts I cobbled up to bolt it down. More to come.
I was not thinking when I started this repower and neglected to take pictures of the removal. It was straight forward. The Funk transmission flex plate matched up to the flywheel holes but the Dorset flywheel had a larger diameter recess in the center. As the flex plate has a protrusion in the center with a snug fit to help carry the load of the torque convertor a larger bushing was machined to mate them up. The radiator was as simple as cutting the welded mount loose and slide it back to the new shorter engine and rewilding it. The cooling water was a easy connect using unequal sized ends radiator hoses. The engine heater was also re-installed. on the straight frame.
Under the engine is still dirty. I changed this engine in the pasture where the original croaked it will get it pressure washed under the engine after the fact. Sometimes you do what you have to do. A adapter was made to bolt the front drive to the crank pulley for the hydraulic pump. The one inch plate in the picture was fabricated with a large hole in the center to go over the big nut on the end of the crankshaft. The hydraulic pump was as simple as sliding back to make up for the shorter engine and the same old cobbled up mount was re-welded to the substructure. No hoses had to me removed to relocate the pump.
I reinstalled the Pettibone's original dash and hood. I left the hood the full length and it protrudes to the front a bit. It will make a nice cover over the gauges. The Fiat intake hose and air cleaner will fit right up with the addition of a 6" long piece of coupler hose. I ran it with the temporary tank you see in the 2nd picture. I am going to drain the fuel tank and insure it has clean fuel before I connect it.
I had planned on reusing the existing Fiat exhaust but it was a different size (top photo)and I would not have been able to make the bend after adding an adapter. I went with a 3" straight stack inside. It sounds better anyway. It is running and working good at this point. I still have some misc electrical and a master disconnect to add along with flushing the fuel tank. It will wait a couple weeks until I get back from a southern California trip. I will update the finishing up details then.
nice work buddy.
Its working out well Mog. We used it to lift the 8V-71 and 10 speed Road Ranger out of the old loader truck when Junkyard was hear a week ago. It also picked the long double framed remains with rear ends. I carried it to the "waiting for the price to go up" scrap collection. It was pretty light but handled it OK. Got the starter, shut off and disconnect plumbed. It's setting waiting for gauges and an oil change now. Think I'm going to add a 90 degree elbow and a muffler pointing back also. It a bit loud in its own way. Hope to get to it this week now that we are home again.
I like it with a straightpipe on it....
What exactly is a Pettibone and what are they used for? I worked at a company that was a dealer for them but we never had one come into the shop in the time I was there. Apparently not a popular machine in these parts.
Early version of a skytrack style forklift. Not an extendable boom but the lift will move out away from machine to gain some reach. Almost a Rupe Ginsberg way of doing what extendable boom machines do now.
They were originally built for sawmill operations as far as I can tell. Built much heavier and earlier than a Lull or other similar functioning lifts. The lift sits on the front "bumper" to take the load off the lift assembly. The back cylinders extend the forks 4' forward to be able to stack a bundle of lumber two deep. Pettibone is still in business making similar lifts. They did/do? make small carry cranes, wheel loaders etc. Is Rupe Ginsberg the more sensible cousin of Rube Golburg? Rupe the one who likes to build everything like a brick outhouse?
Whatever it is, you got the idea lol
Definitely a unique looking beast. Definitely have not seen one of those before.
They also built cable log skidders back in the 50s and 60s, ugly square machines but used over the counter components. East to get repair parts. They made thousands of swing loaders for the railroad at the Duluth plant. In the late 60s into the 70s they built a 100 ton low profile truck crane. The first 100 built went to the railroad and were fitted to travel on the railroad as well as highway. They also built a smaller skid steer that was gear drive in the finals instead of chain. There are still a few around. They were built with picking eyes for setting them in ships holds for clean up. A family friend was shop foreman at the Duluth plant which closed in the seventies. Pettibone has a website with there current product line. They still make a good extending boom lift.
While talking about Pettibone. We had one of there "Multi-Cranes" for several years at the quarry.They were built till the mid 1980's just a bit east of here in Rome NY. Recall it had a six cylinder gas engine, can't remember if it was an IH or Hercules. And a Funk Reverse-O-Matic transmission, always like that name! It look very much like the one in the picture below and was a struggle to get in or out of climbing over the front tires and all the control levers in the cab. But with the four wheel steering it did get in to tight spots despite its size.
I forgot about the multi-crane. Both my Super 6 and Super 8 had International 6 cylinder gassers when new. The Super 8 still has has a International 6 cylinder at, I think 262 cubic inches. They both have the Funk Reverse-O-Matic transmissions. The predecessor to the hydrostatic drives.
Finished up installing charging system and gauges. Now I'm thinking of adding some lights sometime in the future. I put a tee in the temperature port in the block so the tank heater hooks into that. Got a valve cover gasket on order. Its leaking where the old manifold was broken. Burned at that spot I guess. After I stop the oil from running down I can clean the whole works.
It's about time! Just kidding. I know you had the mrs to take care of. Looks good.