Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Photos of Abandoned Log Yarders

DerelictTexture ยท 2012-07-05 18:41

Link to the photos of the rusty relics of logging's heyday are here... http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.ca/2012/07/photos-of-abandoned-log-yarders.html

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies19
  1. #1TEC2012-07-05 20:40

    Are you doing anything to the photos to make the rust pop. It looks pretty orange in the photos. Thanks, Tom

  2. #2DerelictTexture2012-07-05 20:47

    Hi Tom...it depends on the shot. Sometimes the sun/weather/conditions are perfect for a great image. Other than that I might adjust the light levels and tweak the contrast....no Photoshop stuff though. Plus...this is the West Coast of Canada....things rust up real good here beside the ocean Part of the recipe is that I purposely look for those shots...and might even make a return trip to get the right conditions. Glad you like them...makes it all worthwhile Mike

  3. #3TEC2012-07-06 00:27

    Definitely like the pics and blog, added to my bookmarks. Keep up the good work. Tom

  4. #4DerelictTexture2012-07-06 00:47

    Glad you like it. Seems like the right thing to do...is to share the images that I enjoy taking. Mike

  5. #5johnson2012-07-06 06:55

    Nice pictures on the blog,why are those yarders abandoned?Are they too old or is there no work for them?

  6. #6DerelictTexture2012-07-06 10:29

    Thanks for the comment on the pictures. Perhaps some of the active loggers could address the issue of why they were abandoned. I will start with these ideas. The size of the cutblocks got smaller and newer types of harvesting proved to be cheaper ( grapple yarders, hoe chucking, sometimes skidder logging ) grapple yarder systems require a much smaller crew tongue in cheek...everyone forgot how to blow the yarding signals and refused to pack a 90 lb block through the felled and bucked Newer/faster systems promised more bang for the buck....just like us changing cell phones and computers now anybody else?

  7. #7Vigilant2012-07-06 10:55

    All Talkie Tooters went up in smoke when Finley Hays died?

  8. #8DerelictTexture2012-07-06 11:08

    One of my best childhood memories is, Pete Jackson ( of Jackson Bros Logging ) driving by our house after visiting HD master mechanic Floyd Wilson...and blowing yarder signals on his car horn as he went by. When I'm rich and famous, I'm gonna pay someone to do that once a day, except Sundays

  9. #9Born2clearcut2012-07-06 12:15

    I remember Floyd and Pete very well as you know . Jackson Bros logging was a great time alot of good memories .We had big crews on the Madill 90 foot towers, each side had 3 chokermen ,riggin slinger, hooker , chaser ,second loader ,loader operator and tower operator most the riggin Rat's were haywire young guys . We had alot of fun and got alot of wood doing it . Jackson's had 3 sides running and we always trying to get more wood then the other sides One game we use to play was Run or Die ( not compo approved ) , we leave a talkie tooter on a stump when the rigging was stopped we run in and set your choker and run out , first guy to set his choker and run out grab the bug (talkie tooter ) count to 3 tell the other chokermen and blow go ahead . We had ole Minow Braun running the tower , he would wait around 3 seconds before he started to go ahead on the turn , The 2 other guys setting chokers didn't have much time to get it done and run to get the hell out of the turn . I was the riggin slinger and always have my bug on, if it looked like someone wasn't goin to make it on time iwould blow stop . The guy that didn't make it on time would have to buy round of drinks after work. Don't think Pete knew what were up too ,but i'm pretty sure Dave Parish did ( woods foreman ) . Things you do when you were young , ten feet tall and bullet proof.

  10. #10DerelictTexture2012-07-06 12:27

    Oh man...I just about spit out my coffee when I read "Run or Die"....that made my day. I wish I had those legs now. Born2clearcut used to live across the street from me, Floyd Wilson lived just a couple houses from both of us. Pete lived several blocks away ( he topped and limbed trees for me with a belt and spurs when he was in his 70's ) Floyd was still traveling around the globe in his 90's ( still fixing broken iron too...in his backyard ) Run or Die....I wonder how seriously screwed you would be if you tried that today?....

  11. #11DerelictTexture2012-07-06 12:42

    Here are a few old photos of the Jackson Bros in action. These aren't mine...please take note of all the sources when you click through. Info is from the notes on the Sechelt online archive page. http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.ca/2012/05/jackson-brothers-logging.html

  12. #12SPMiller2012-07-06 16:18

    Glad to see you're enjoying your summer Mike!

  13. #13DerelictTexture2012-07-06 18:21

    It's been good so far, the sun only came out a few days ago though. Where are you working these days? Get that buddy of yours signed up for another trip!! You guys can take over the video duties

  14. #14Jim19602012-07-06 22:31

    "Run or Die....I wonder how seriously screwed you would be if you tried that today?...." I remember playing run or die. And these days I'd be seriously screwed because my knees are shot and I can"t run anymore. Now it would be "Hobble or Die" LOL!!

  15. #15johnson2012-07-07 03:47

    Run or Die sounds awesome,whats hoe chucking?I ain't never heard of anything like that is it similar to jammer logging?

  16. #16Jim19602012-07-07 17:17

    In the states it's called shovel logging. You walk a hydraulic loading machine out into the fell & bucked and then forward the logs to the road.

  17. #17Born2clearcut2012-07-08 10:17

    Here's a video on you tube i found on Hoe chucking using a couple machines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpBQczS57es

  18. #18donkey doctor2012-07-08 11:49

    Thats a great video. 4 Madills playing nicely together. D.D.

  19. #19johnson2012-07-09 10:48

    Nice video,got any pictures of the Madill 075's?