Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Physical Limitations/Cranes

NoNameCrane ยท 2015-06-22 13:05

Hey everyone, Hoping some of the grizzled elders here can give a young guy w/ zero experience in the construction industry (and also maybe not physically cut out for the industry) some advice. My current career doesn't pay what I'd like, so I started looking into crane operator pay online (it seems pretty nice, even more so once you're established and if you're able to work your way up to the big tower cranes, etc). Then I started looking into a local IUOE apprenticeship near my location - it seems like a great deal, but they only accept 30 members twice per year and I feel I have virtually zero shot of making this cut (I'll still try though). If my end goal is to be say, a gantry crane or tower crane (or some other large crane) operator, what can I do besides a union apprenticeship to break into that industry? It seems that rigging, maintenance, etc would need to be learned, then start out in mobile crane operations (thus a CDL, etc), but what comes before that? How do you get into an industry like this when you're 25 and have zero construction experience whatsoever? Not only that, but if I have to start as a laborer, I'd be willing but probably not physically able. One of the reasons crane operations seemed pretty sweet to me was that I was told by a couple schools that crane operators usually do a little less manual labor (less heavy lifting by hand) than a guy running other heavy equipment. I've had shoulder problems in one of my shoulders for most of my life. I've had two surgeries to fix it, and after these surgeries it is stable again. But any static lifting over 50 lbs just isn't good for me and could result in me blowing it out again (particularly very heavy weight). Hell, lifting 50 or more lbs on a daily, regular basis, even though I can physically do it, would just be bad for my shoulder (doesn't heal day to day like a healthy joint - instead just wears and tears and gets more painful). Sitting in a chair w/ controls is something I can do - but the other aspects of the job I'm not so sure of. Because of this physical limitation, combined with a complete lack of construction industry experience, do you feel I'm barking up the wrong tree wanting to work my way up to a large crane? I feel I have the energy, the drive, and the financial ability to accomplish it, but I just don't know if I have the physical goods to do the job (particularly the maintenance, any required heavy manual lifting, and other jobs I will likely have to start in to work my way up to crane AKA the physical stresses of being a rigger, etc). If anyone could point me in a direction as to how/where to start (and if you feel I'd be physically able to as per my description), I'd really appreciate it. -NoNameCrane

Replies4
  1. #1Buckethead2015-06-22 16:14

    I don't know who told you you will never have to any manual work, but they were wrong. Most cranes have outriggers. Truck cranes, rough terrains, all terrains, all have outriggers and they need dunnage under the pads. And you generally have to remove and stow the pads before you move. Of course the other trade you are working with will help you, but there is NO rule saying you don't have to do it, you do have to help with it, it's operators work. Even crawlers might need some planks under the cats to level them up sometimes. And you can't just start out in the seat of a crane, you kind of have to work up to it. Either you're going to have to bite the bullet and hope the shoulder stays good, or do something else. If you absolutely can't do any manual lifting and want to run a crane, your only bet would be to get hired in house at some kind of manufacturing plant that uses an overhead crane or something.

  2. #2CaptainAnalyzer2015-06-22 18:47

    Unfortunately for people in our circumstance, our industry relies mainly on a strong back, nerves of steel, and little something that isn't very common anymore; sense. You're going to have to struggle at first, like buckethead said, no company is going to put you right away in the seat of a tower crane. Your best bet is going to be getting in contact with someone in the operators union, and (as sad as it sounds) either paying a bribe, or set up a meeting with the Business Agent of your particular area and prepare for a powerful introduction speech.

  3. #3NoNameCrane2015-07-05 00:29

    Thank you both for your replies. I had thought about the outrigger pads as well as the positions I would very likely have to work in before I was able to work my way up. From what I've read it sounds like a semi-common route is a dogman/rigger--->mobile crane operator--->bigger cranes (tower, gantry, etc)....in the IUOE apprentiships guys started out as oilers in the beginning as well. I think I could handle stuff like placing outrigger pads, etc. But can anyone here enlighten me as to the physical demands of being an oiler, and also the physical demands of being a dogman/rigger? Specifically the lifting demands - how much weight do you find yourself commonly lifting as a rigger and how often?

  4. #4Buckethead2015-07-05 13:29

    I don't care who tells you different, if you're an oiler you're going to have to climb sometimes to get at fittings. You will be shoveling dirt out of tracks on a crawler, and you will have to lift something heavy when you're putting a rig together. If you become a tower crane operator, you're going to have to climb a ladder probably hundreds of feet. Your shoulder needs to be able to handle those things. If you are a rigger, you will working as, an ironworker, laborer, carpenter, pipefitter or something like that. Those trades are physical jobs, no way around it. Just telling you like it is.