just wondering if anyone has or does haul a mini ex and skid steer on a 5th wheel behind a 2500hd diesel. right now i have to use two trucks or two trips. just thinking about purchasing a bigger trailer and hauling both. i would have to get a 20k trailer though. i have a tandem with trailer but would rather haul with pick up. i need to look up to see if truck would even handle it. might have to go with bigger truck too. thanks
My 2500s are rated nowhere near 20000# towing capacity, GN or bumper pull. It's not that you couldn't do it, it's that you SHOULDN'T do it.
I'll have to agree and second this quote ! Check out your local/state gcvwr laws first before u do
I see a local landscape company doing it on a regular basis , but , not sure if legal weight is being reached. The trucks can handle it , but still not sure if its legal.
I agree with the others that it's not safe and I would not do it. The other point to ponder is if you did drag all that weight around it will put severe wear and strain on 2500. What size skid and mini will you be pulling? Again, check your State and local regs.
what size is the skid steer and baby hoe?
What are the weights of the 2 rigs combined? Your horse[w/o knowing your cab type,etc.] can 5 wheel trailer in the area of 13,000 lbs. so you most likely will be overweight.
I noticed some wrote it could pull it but not advisable, I would probably agree, just remember pulling may not be the problem, stopping sure could be though. If you ever get in an accident being over weight you may loose a lot more then what 2 trips ever would have cost.
I have a 3500 SRW and would not even think about doing that. Just hauling round bales is enough to work the truck hard. As Maddog says stopping all that weight is a lot more important than pulling it.
Yeah i have a 259b and 304ccr. Combined is around 20k. My trucks book and other sources say around 16k. So i will not be doing that. Thanks for the input. I strive to be safe and this isnt an option.
A 259 and 304 is a good load behind a pickup. A F450-550 gooseneck set up would be the best option. I have been pondering the same set up myself. Currently I pull a 14K lb gooseneck behind my SRW F350, hauling my T250 or 334 mini-ex. It pulls and stops fine and is a good set up for my small jobs. I too don't like to take two trips to haul the skid and the mini to a job and would also like to haul my 420D around as well. I have considered buying a used F450-550 and upgrading the trailer to a 20K lb gooseneck. Then I start to think of adding an extra truck and another trailer with all the added maintenance, capital expenditure, tags and insurance and realize it's cheaper to just take two trips and charge the customer for two mobilizations. Until the work load and economy gets better, that's the best route for me. Currently I have an arrangement with a business friend of mine that moves my heavier equipment pretty much anywhere in my working area for $150 per move. He has the dump truck and I have the 54K lb trailer. He gets to use the trailer to move his equipment around (he is not a dirt mover but has a midi trackhoe and an old loader) and we split the maintenance cost of the trailer. This gets my heavier yellow iron moved and is a "win-win" situation for both of us.
yeah i have a tandem with a trailor to haul 315 and d4. i am like you cm on the economy picking up, then upgrading.
I could use a single axle flatbed dump and gooseneck set up above fairly often. However, I make it work without them. Trucks even if paid for, cost a lot of $$ to have every year and that expense eats into the bottom line. Often I find myself wanting certain trucks/equipment but left wondering exactly how they will make me money.. Work has picked up. Not necessarily the type of jobs I like but it's work nonetheless. I am pricing my jobs with my current mobilization costs, like I said before it's working and the jobs are profitable. Just don't want to add any more expenses at this time.
Always very glad to see here on HEF,people actually listen up on weight related concerns.I've been accused SEVERAL times of being a weight cop on other forums and IDGAFF[use some imagination--not difficult].Maybe,just maybe my advice just might get thought of after all the stupid ''I know better'' jibberish and Mr. Hotshot won't try and move his severely overloaded rig.I guess the guy who I saw last week moving a 580 Case hoe [with the boom in transport position to boot] on a 20 ton trailer with his SRW Chevy 3/4 ton wasn't one of them though.
We have a F-450 flatbed that we pull our 20k gooseneck with. It's a good trailer and the truck runs good but when fully loaded you definatly need to pay close attention. I definatly would not use a 3/4 ton truck to move that kind of weight.
Buckfever what are ya'll hauling?
I am same problem with a twist I would like to move fill or gravel to or from site. Thinking about roll off truck. Not sure size heavy single, tandem or tri axel. Would be great to roll up to site with 4 ton mini ex in roll off bin. Unloaded mini, then load fill leave and return with gravel. Maybe still tow trailer with 2nd machine. Or get heavy tri axle put both machine in one bin. Options....I do have AZ license and cvor etc...
I pull 20k with a F-550 on a daily basis and would not want to have any less truck. When things go bad it happens fast and every little bit of brake is important a 3/4 ton truck has far less brakes.
Another part to the problem that has not been mentioned is the length of trailer necessary to haul both machines, I'm guessing you would need 30' of deck, maybe more. And that will have alot of tongue weight. Here is how I would do it, get a standard bumper pull trailer for the skidloader. Buy a flatbed single axle truck like a ford 750, load the mini on the 750 flat deck and the skid on the trailer. Or just make two trips.