Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tailgate Spreader Chains

Stump Knocker ยท 2012-11-12 16:10

When the last time anyone has seen the tailgate chains used? Stump Knocker

Replies11
  1. #1dirtmonkey2012-11-12 16:23

    Two weeks ago and again this week for two days. For some a lost art maybe ? One thing is for sure , some can do it and some ....well:beatsme:duh

  2. #2Dwan Hall2012-11-12 17:36

    I use them when ever possible. Especially if it is on a job with my name on it. Did a job a few years back ware the spread on a 400 yard long driveway was good enough 90% of it did not require grading before it was compacted. Spread right side then left side with just enough overlap for a real good crown. I learned a lot on that job. first was to grade the driveway before spreading the D-1.

  3. #3RTSmith2012-11-12 17:37

    I use mine for gravel. But like Dirt said, some of us aren't too talented with it. My issue is the first part of the pass looks good, but then as I need to raise the bed some more, my speed gets into an issue so my consistency goes down the tubes. Hints anyone?

  4. #4FWD2012-11-12 21:58

    I use mine a lot with Class 5 that needs to be spread on one lane private roads. The consistency of the Class 5 is important. If the stuff is too wet or has too much binder, it can cause problems. This summer I was hauling from a pile in the pit I normally use with great results spreading. That pile ran out, so I moved to a new pile about 500' away. Went with the first load and raised the box like the previous load, very little came out so I raised some more and it plugged the tailgate. Started putting the box down and it decided to start coming out again. I called the owner of the pit and he tried some with his truck, ended up having to have the gate open one more chain link. He changed his mixture some and then it was good the rest of the summer. It is great when it works right but you can make a mess if there is a problem. Spreading up and down hills can be a challenge too. You especially have to be careful going up a hill with a lot of dirt in the back and box up high. FWD

  5. #5mitch5042012-11-12 23:15

    They are used all the time around here, too.

  6. #6Haddy2012-11-13 23:50

    We use them alot . Can't really get away without them on the work we do

  7. #7The Learner2012-11-14 01:14

    not a day when you don't see them used around australia a lot of guys are pretty good at them you tell them how thick and off they go spread the truck first and the trailer next without gap or overlap its great watching the guys who know what to do

  8. #8tuney4432012-11-14 12:51

    I use mine maybe once a month for aggregate deliveries or if I'm top dressing a driveway myself.I found that removing the long sloppy paint removing chains from the factory is better if you make up some short dedicated only chains with an S hook in one end[my gate has a HD bracket on each lower bottom] and feed the other end with a link into the banjo cut out for the adjustment.As long as there's nothing to worry about overhead,I can lay down a perfect mat of stone,except of course the little puddle you always get when you start out.

  9. #9AT&SW2012-11-18 14:39

    Last week 300 tons of rock.

  10. #10LeakyBoot2012-11-19 21:25

    75 percent of the time. Ever raise bed too fast and the load slams the tailgate and both chains break? Makes the driveway owners day. LB

  11. #11Stump Knocker2012-11-20 10:35

    I don't recall ever seeing them used here in central FL. Hard enough getting drivers to dump where you need the material! ;-(( STUMP KNOCKER Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! ******** and brilliance only come with age and experience.