Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pick up truck tool boxes.

Truckie · 2007-03-29 21:17

I have a Dodge ¾ ton short bed and was looking to put a tool box in the back. What do you guys have? Bed rail to bed rail or one that sits down in the bed. I like both but not sure which style to go with. I know if I go with one that sits in the bed I can still get a bed cover down the road. So what do you all have in your truck? Who is it mad by? And do you like it?

Replies28
  1. #1CT18fireman2007-03-29 21:21

    I have always been fond of Weatherguards. I like the over the rail single lid if you are going with a crossbed style. I like there pushbutton opening system and my experience with other bobes tells me they are the best out there. I have two crossbeds on different trucks now as well as some of there underbody boxes on the dump. I like the aluminum diamond but that is more of a personal choice I guess.

  2. #2PSDF3502007-03-29 21:57

    I'll second weatherguard. Worth the extra money. Weatherguard is a www.knaak.com product. And they make some nice inside the bed boxes.

  3. #3Countryboy2007-03-29 22:06

    I got the JOBOX below except in black. Its a maximum security box with a double reinforced (2 ply) lid. The latches are the same style you find in a car door and ratchet tighter as you push down harder. It retailed around $650 and comes with a "no questions asked" warranty. The latches withstand 2,000 lbs of pulling force. If you want to make sure your tools are where you left them then I would suggest this box. Hertz Equipment is an authorized dealer which is where I bought it from.

  4. #4Jeff D.2007-03-29 22:10

    I've an aluminum diamond plate "Husky" brand box, that sit's on the bed rails. I have had too replace the latches/locks once, although I've had it quite awhile now. Other than the latches I'm happy enough with it.

  5. #5PSDF3502007-03-29 22:46

    I had one of those Lid never closed right. Needed to always have it locked or it might pop open. Finally only one latch worked, then that one didn't. Now it sits next to house with 2 big holes where locks were. Used my mual to smash it open

  6. #6Jeff D.2007-03-29 22:57

    Yup, that's the one. So it wasn't just mine then?:beatsme Mine's been alright since I replaced the latches about 4 years ago.

  7. #7CT18fireman2007-03-29 23:26

    One thing, I never slam mine shut. I slowly lower the top down until it latches, then give a firm steady push to lock it down. I actually fired a guy for slamming it closed. Well he slammed it and then argued with me about it. My old box is 10 years old no and still latches and seals like new.

  8. #8unimog2007-03-29 23:39

    Weatherguards are pretty much the top of the line but go with what your budget will allow. Here are my boxes.

  9. #9PSDF3502007-03-30 01:33

    Had to weather strip it to when I first bought it. Thought I was saving money. ointhead I did have an issue with the weatherguard the locks stopped working, They sent me new ones. They were the wrong ones. So they then send the right ones. Haven't had a problem since.

  10. #10smalltime2007-03-30 07:26

    Weatherguards seem to hold up really well. I have had one for about 6 years now & it still works great. I like the over the rail style. They allow me to still haul long stuff in my short bed. I can slide plywood, 2x's or pipe under it, & it helps hold the stuff in. I think an in the bed box looks better, but does not seem as useful for a work truck.

  11. #11N.B.CONCRETE2007-03-30 09:27

    WeatherGuard all the way. I have the both Safety Rack & Back Rack, WeatherGuard L-transfer tanks and the largest Singlelid Saddle boxes . Some boxes are 10 years old and work perfectly .:usa

  12. #12CM19952007-03-30 20:34

    I agree - Weatherguard all the way. Cross-boxes - alum. diamond tread and L-shaped and square 100 Gal transfer tanks. I have boxes that are 7-8 years old and work properly. You may have to replace the gas shocks but that's it. I have many underbody boxes on the 1-tons, 3 L-shaped tanks, 2 - square tanks, 4 cross-over boxes and some saddle boxes. That is the only brand of box I will buy - they are more expensive but they are definetely worth it. You get what you pay for.

  13. #13DPete2007-03-30 21:03

    One of my pickups has a box from Lowes ( Kobalt ) alum. diamond plate, not a bad box. The Latches are adjustable if you take the time to get them right it works good. Slaming the lid from one corner will tweek any box. My other is a Delta, it's OK too if you take care of it. Some guys will tear up an anvil if you give it to them. DP

  14. #14hvy 1ton2007-03-30 23:10

    i have a deezee platinum. It's a great box I took the slider they give you and made one out of AL, my brother ran over it with a tractor so it's on my to-do list. Deezee Platinum :drinkup

  15. #15Truckie2007-04-04 18:43

    Thanks for the info guys. I just need to find some time to go look at a few and pick one up.

  16. #16CAT245ME2007-04-05 09:39

    I dont see many toolboxes on trucks now a days, Delta was the most common one around, I have one my self and I know that it is easy to break into one cause the latches are not very strong. My uncle has had his broken into a couple of times and the thieves took everything in it both times.

  17. #17PSDF3502007-04-05 11:31

    Thats a regional thing then. Because around here there on most trucks.

  18. #18CM19952007-04-05 11:39

    Same here.

  19. #19DR RPM2007-04-05 16:09

    I'd say, cause I have a toolbox on both of my trucks and all 340 company trucks have them.

  20. #20Kgmz2007-04-18 18:47

    We have Pro-Tech boxes. This company also makes a lot of the aluminum boxes and headache racks you see on the big trucks. These boxes are very popular in the NW. We have these boxes on our pickups, except special ordered extra deep.

  21. #21Countryboy2007-04-18 20:01

    Welcome to HEF Kgmz! :drinkup

  22. #22guest2007-04-19 17:12

    I have a Rawson-Koenig aluminum one for over 10 years very well made all latches and hinges still work find. Went threw several cheaper ones like TSC don't waste your money buy a quality one and only spend once.

  23. #23wrenchbender2007-04-19 18:21

    I agree guest that's the only way to go. Welcome aboard guest

  24. #24Countryboy2007-04-19 19:00

    Welcome to HEF guest! :drinkup

  25. #25Dickie2007-04-20 01:02

    Have a Husky on the work truck as well, and I must agree with the latch problems. My lock has failed, too. Managed to mangle one latch into working, but as this truck hardly leaves the mine nobody seems to be interested in replacing it. Those Joboxes look schweet, though.

  26. #26Backhoe310SG2007-05-03 21:11

    Back in 93, my dad bought a pair of 7 foot Weatherguards that mount on the bed rails. They worked really well until the fall of 2001 when the truck they were mounted on died. We parked that truck and never took the boxes on because they wouldn't fit on the truck that took its place. There are still some things in the boxes, and they don't leak and haven't rusted or anything. Were hoping in a year or 2 to get another fullsize and mount them back on a truck and put them to work.

  27. #27Countryboy2007-05-04 19:58

    Welcome to HEF Backhoe310SG! :drinkup

  28. #28tuney4432007-05-18 09:17

    Check out American Van---prices and selections of the major brands are hard to beat.I've bought a bunch of boxes,racks there over the years--real good service.