hello, I’m looking into buying an excavator but I’m having a hard time picking which size to look at. Are there any general rules or roles for determining which size you need? My one friend who runs a landscape and excavation company just seems to think go bigger and bigger is better but where does that become not true? Thanks
If you can supply some information as to what you’ll be doing with the machine it will make it easier to figure out what size would work best
Yes indeed, have to lay out the wants and needs along with the tasks you're thinking of contracting out for as well as transportation limitations. When you get over 30ton moving starts to become a challenge. If 90% of your needs will be satisfied by a mini, buy a mini and rent for the other 10% of the time.
We have a 100 acre farm. 30 of it in loblolly pine which needs to be thinned/cleared. I have been told to get an 8 ton, but I’d also like to do work for people, maybe in landscaping or excavation work. Am I going to be too big for some jobs?
What are you going to use to move it between jobs?
Until I can buy my own f350 or 650 My cousin owns a f350 with a 38k gcwr, or I have a friend with a landscaping companies.
I would suggest then that you purchase an excavator size based on the carrying capacity of the hauler.
Yeah, I'd set the maximum weight at 20k, I have a 350 and a 550 that both tow a 20k mini or 15k backhoe without any complaints. Though 20k is a midi more than a mini.
At 100 acres, you may look into a backhoe. It would take you an hour just to crawl across that lot at 3 mph. They aren't so great in the mud, but move faster and have about the same lift capacity.
I wanted a toy that I could move easily in my P/U. I've been having a blast with it !! It's time consuming dragging dead trees to the burn pile at 2 MPH on 10 acres. I think a chain tied to the truck bumper would be more efficient . The fun factor is still way up there even with the light weight and low HP. The war department is restricting me from digging deep or doing too much damage at the farm. I need to operate when she's asleep so I don't get nagged. Had to change from stock 6 ply to 10 ply tires.
That's pretty cool looking. Do you back blade the road at the same time?
Someone mentioned transportation capability, which in my case was a deciding factor. I should note, that I’m a hobbiest, not for hire. For me, I looked for the near the top end of what I could haul with my F250 and without needing a CDL. I ended up with a Bobcat E42, which with a couple extra buckets is close to my weight limit. Although it would be nice for something bigger from time to time, I’m amazed at the work I can do with this machine. After having this size machine, I couldn’t see myself going smaller. Using the same weight criteria, I picked up a T595 CTL this summer. Really happy with that machine.