heres a couple pics from my new job i started a couple weeks ago.
is that the plant in bridgeport right on the sound? or is this in RI?...very nice machines there...looks like something I would try for one shift
very nice machines!Thanks for sharing,The last picture,the dozer look to have the new power edge logo from cat?True?
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Will be looking for more. Trbo
Jimmyjack what are you pushing and what is the tower used for?
the plants in mass, were treating coal and theres two more towers they run down the middle of were the pile is they just have spray nozzles on them to keep the dust down and lights. its just a temp job (just to the end of the year) theres two D10Ts and a D8T with a coal blade on it thats with us. the power plant has there own machines i'll try and get some pics of them, its hard getting a lot of pics when working weeknights. heres a couple more last ones a friend of mine thats runs the other 10 makes him look small in front of it
nice shot!Is these dozer are renforced at the blade such as a special coal application?
Just curious but how well do tracks on big machines like those hold up in coal? How does it effect them. I'm wondering because i simply dont know What's a job like that pay/ how'd you run into getting it etc. Give us details -Michael-
some more pics
more
I've been told (I have no direct experience), that crawler undercarriages in coal piles last nearly forever. For the same reason that graphite (which is nothing more than carbon), is used as a lubricant, the carbon in the coal actually lubricates tracks and rollers. Maybe somebody can confirm that?
sounds likely , the machines are new for the most part(two of them are under 1500hrs) so i don't think you'd see much wear in the two months left the they will be there. it does polish every thing up that rubs in the coal , like the arms on the blade and the bottom of the counter weights
Nice pics! So did you stop trucking?
yea, kinda had enough of driving for know. maybe i'll get back in the seat at a later time, there was a bunch of little bs that was getting to me every day,so when i heard about this one for more money and less hours less bs i left:beatsme
Congrats on the new job. I've always figured life was to short to put up with a bunch of Bull at work. A mans not gonna get rich working for wages so he ought to have a good time doing it. Nice pics too.
Nice Machines Thats me standing between the 2 d10's. It pretty fun playing with those machines but the coal isn't really a challange for them because its so light. You can bury the blade halfway and it just keeps on going. I wonder what an 11 is like!
Welcome to HEF TATER! :drinkup
more pics a few of them have the power plants dozers in the pic
couple more
Awesome pics. Love the new T's.
wow!very nice dozers,thanks for sharing.
Nice photos, I'm a little curious why they couldn't do the same thing with a radial stacker though. I think Dozerboy is doing the same type thing in Texas too.
Some pics of the ship unloading the Gdansk Unloading
some new pics from working nights again. we got a D6T XL also now as a spare
some more, sorry my camera doesn't like the dark that much doesn't help with the black coal background:beatsme
and a few more
LOL.. You spend just about as much time taking pics as I do...
Right on!:thumbsup
a few more of the power plants equipment first one thier D9N getting ready for a new motor then the rubber compactor they use alot of times just to clean up the road that goes around the pile after a heavy rain, the 924g loader ,the D8L that just came back from getting a new undercarriage,and the dressta TD25M that i think is justa demo:throwup
How did you ever land a job like that!!! Good looking pics though.
Ya I did some bulk coke (similar to coal) stockpiling night work wasn't for me and it was boring spent about as much time sleeping with nothing to do as I did working. Its also filthy work and if you don't I would wipe down your cab every or every other shift that helps a bit. Good luck Digger is right about the undercarriages, but we broke a lot of bolts on our undercarriages. Make sure your doing a GOOD walk around look at ever bolt you can especially the rear idlers.
i got the job offered to me from a friend that was already there. dozeboy ,yea your right with being dirty , no matter what you touch your hands get black, i try to sweep out the cab and wipe the controls off but it doesn't help the day crew are pigs. boring isn't the word for it more like mindless , its over at the first of the year so i'll deal with it. lately we bring movies in to watch when we take lunch, its not real production driven so we got time to sneek in a movie here and there:naughty
I don't like getting dirty so what I did was run the biggest POS they had that no one else would run. I bought me a gal. of Simple Green and mixed it with a bit of water. I would clean the whole cab at the beginning of every shift or as needed. We where supplied coverall and gloves and I had them on any time I wasn't in the cab. I also showed at work on the clock and changed into clean cloths before I headed home. After all of that I still would track stuff into the house and our shower still got filthy too, but it helped a lot. Sweeping and wiping things down don't do much since its such a fine dust you need a cleaner or at least a damp rag. The first thing I did when I started was bury that blade to see how much those U blades could push. Its amazing to see material boil a few feet over a blade that big. We only pushed ~6,000 tons a shift, but when we loaded a ship we could bury the ship loader and it would do 25,000 tons a shift.
some more pics
dozerboy i went back and read your posts from when you were at that other job, its funny cause these guys here (the power plant) do the some thing. they just push the coal randomly around, theres no thought about were to push it tomorrow. they leave piles everywhere, then they have to go back and move the piles again so they have room to unload the next ship:Banghead we joke around saying they'd have the same effect if they blasted the coal around
i figured out how to make a video with my camera, so heres two thier not me operating, i'm sitting in the D8. first ones pushing coal as they unload a ship. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pO6MuCdqxU this ones still pushing coal ointhead but with out the motor running on my dozer so you can hear the sweet sound of a V12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mk7iUc-0hg
That is wild, gotta love the sound of that engine and the tracks in reverse, it's no wonder the Palestinians fear the Israelis big Army Dozers, I'd crap my pants if I heard that rolling down my road too!
Agreed, the sound of the pads clanking in reverse is so awesome.
X3, excellent vids for a cell phone jimmyjack, I would love to run a dozer that big, the biggest I ever ran was a high track 5.
Steam lol I did know how warm the coal would get so I didn't think that would be a a issue. Here some times at night the steam would be so bad you couldn't anything for the first 50' of your push.
we've had the steam so bad you have to stop cause you can't see the blade any more, and when the pile is close to 30' knowing were the edge is is important:nono . it was also about 20 degrees out that night when a filmed that
You can feel the edge coming as long as you turn so your going straight down you won't roll if you go off it. I liked to leave 2/3s of a blade on the edge it's easier to keep the edge straight that way and that is 10' less you have to travel.
Great video and photos! - Christopher
great pics
heres a couple more videos of pushing coal. these were one night helping the plant operators unload a selfunloader ship, it took four of us ( the two 10s the 8 and the plants komatsu) and we were barely keeping up with how fast the ship could off load. theplant operator said the ship could off load as fast as 3200tons an hour,so for awhile it seemed they were offloading that fast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b9yXa-N7g http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrf3h06H0s i have a couple more vids but i don't know if i should load them, just the same thing pushing more coal around
Nice videos Jimmyjack!:thumbsup Not to high jack your thread but this one popped up as a related video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJervtj8YEM&NR=1 Wow, sort of interesting
one of the guys we got on our crew that runs the 10 was in the army running them. he said you couldn't see crap with them. i got to ask him if that was his unit, he only got out this past summer