what do you guys think about it? Would it make a good machine? It's been sitting there for a while. This one was right under my nose and I didn't even know it. The property is for sale according to the sign out front so I'm pretty sure they'd sell the grader. What do you think I should expect to pay for it assuming it all functions properly?
more pics
even more
I would pay even less for the memories it brings back. The Air Force had a ton of those when I was in. Good enough machine i guess. I wasn't a grader operator so I don't remember anything good. The only thing major I ever did was road one from McConnell AFB (wichita ks) out to Andover I think (NE of the base on HWY 54) for a prairie fire response. I cut right through a homeowners landing strip while making a fire break.
John Deere graders are good machines. This one definatly looks "well used" but if everything works you might be able to get it for a song. Check the center of the moldboard, as in the picture it looks like it might be worn up into the board. Looks like it would a good candidate for a restoration project.
it even has the roof mounted a/c and custom back window, that guy paided good money for them:laugh :roll
That cab looks like a Ford 9000 from BC. Definetly looks like it needs work.
well I spoke to the owner. He wants 15 grand for it and he sounds pretty firm. That's alot of food stamps!! Story on it is he's owned it for 12 years. rebuilt the motor at the dealer 4 years ago. It all functions properly. The company has since upgraded to newer CAT equipment but they kept this old dog around.
Iron Planet's auction results only list one sold there in the last few years. It was supposed to be in pretty good shape overall, and it sure looked better than that one. It sold for $13,000.
thanks digger. I wonder why more haven't sold? that good of a model or what? yea, with the amount of cosmetic work it needs (not to mention possible mechanical work) I would be hesitant to pay more than 5 grand for it. As much as I like fixing stuff up, they can get expensive quick.
That's the only one Iron Planet has sold on their site. I wa too lazy to look for any others...
I looked at an old 50's model Cat the other day. I think they said it was a 12. Rougher than this deere and not hydraulic. They are firm on 10k for that one. Without really having any prior experience in either machine, I would probably pay 10k for this deere before paying that for the Cat. what do you guys think? Is there any reason the Cat would be a better machine even if they were both in equal mechanical shape?
That seems like a lot of dinnero for either one There would be pros and cons into which one to pick. You would have to access each one individually and decide. Myself, and this is only my opinion..if all things were equal mechanically, I would choose the Deere because of the full hydraulics. Knuckle buster controls would not be my cup of tea...Maybe I'm just getting old... Dam..I am old
If all you are doing is looking for some place to spend money then here is a AW like mine. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330119390470&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us
great analogy, thanks!
That seems like a much better deal than the Deere. I would like to buy one for ~10k and obviously I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck. I think I can save myself some money on my equipment (trailers/trucks) wear and tear by keeping my mile long dirt road that leads to my shop and yard maintained. But I can't justify buying an expensive machine since I don't do any work outside of my business. The first time I ever heard of AW was yours so I have alot of learning to do. I like the fact that it runs on that two stroke detroit motor. Those are hard to kill.
Wow, check this one out! It's about 50 miles from me too. What's with the single rear axle? Is that undesirable or would that be fine? Can we still get parts for these? http://cgi.ebay.com/AUSTIN-WESTERN-...ryZ61568QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Parts are still avalable but some will be used. it is all wheel drive so it still has the traction of the cat or JD you are looking at plus it also has rear wheel stearing. Price is right for a personal machine. If it is that close why don't you take a 1 hour drive to go try it out. By th elooks of the cab side windows and the fact it has power stearing I would put it in the late 50's or early 60's machine. It also looks like it has the valving for front blade or riper.
Thanks for the great info Dwan. :drinkup I sent the seller a message with my phone number when I saw the auction. So as soon as we make contact, I'll get myself up there. I have 2 spare 3-71 engines that I use for my tire cutter, one of which is a new rebuild, so we are familiar with the 2 stroke detroits. What kind of transmissions are on these? Are they durable machines? Being a lighter machine, will that have many drawbacks?
I thought this comment was funny. I didn't see any overspray on the tires. "IT HAS JUST BEEN REPAINTED. AND LOOKS OUTSTANDING. WE ARE NO PROFESSIONAL PAINTERS , BUT ITS STILL GOOD. "
I would not be the one to ask about running any grader. The only experance I have with them is the one I have been working on and that has only been in the shop and no seat time. They have a 3 speed with a high/low range transfer case and yes I beleave they are durable.
Here's one a lot like it but in looks much better and is in great mechanical shape. And if I remeber correctly it was bought for a lot less than the one you're looking at a few years ago.
wow.... there was one just like the grader you posted, right down the road from me for sale 2 years ago. I didnt bother picking it up, but it was only 5 grand, and it was in good shape, just needed a paint job. was an old John Deere grader Actually knew the guy that owned it, but really had no use for it, If only i had known it was worth more ------------------------------------- That guy is outta his mind! Thinks he has a sucker, offer him 4 grand for it and tell him whats what! Tell him that things nearly ready for the scrap yard, and ask for paperwork on that imo "bs" engine rebuild. If he dont got it, i think thats plenty proof that hes full of it. He probably just threw that whole "well the engine was rebuilt" when your face went sour with the price he told you. If the body was allowed to rust out like that, along with no replacement of windows that look like someone built a 2x4 frame inside the cab... thats usually a red flag that someone treats the equipment like crap. Yea right , i betcha that engine was never touched ever.
Serv I purchased an old Adams 511 about a year ago with spare UD14A engine for 1K and these units seem to be harder to come by up here in the GWN. All mechanical except for hydraulic boost on the steering, need to go over spare and then install and test out unit. Bladeless as I'll call em as it came missing moldboard and mounts from the circle down so I'll either try to find one or most likely fab something up as the County already has cutting edges for the taking. Ebay seems to have lots of older machines going through regularly. I'll try to post some pics, looks better up close most is surface rust where the paint is missing. If it all checks out reasonably then I'll start the beautification process. Any others know what years the 511 came out? Seems Adam history is hard to come by?
hardtail, glad to see you over here too. thansk
hardtail, glad to see you over here too. thansk
Wow thx KOO x2