Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pics of fixing a large crack

Mccahilldozing ยท 2013-08-19 00:47

Here are a couple pics of a job I'm doing. I use this attachment to dig out trees with my sizer. It mounts to the C- frame. It came up cracked the other day and I carbon arc gouged the crack with a 1/2 inch carbon. I plan on welding it up with 7/64 Lincoln NR 311 ni flux cored wire. I will post more pics as I go.

Replies14
  1. #1mitch5042013-08-19 00:55

    When I saw the title, I thought you had seen Granpa bent over. Please post a pic of it installed when you get a chance

  2. #2Mccahilldozing2013-08-19 01:06
  3. #3mitch5042013-08-19 01:31

    Ok, I got it now. Thanks, Mitch

  4. #4Scrub Puller2013-08-19 02:02

    Yair . . . Mccahilldozing . When you get it fixed do you reckon you could post a close up picture of that attachment in position on the "C" frame. I am having a bit of difficulty understanding the application and how it actually works . . . and umm . . . I'd be checking those carrier rollers for rotation. (he grins) Cheers

  5. #5Mccahilldozing2013-08-30 01:28
  6. #6Mccahilldozing2013-08-30 01:31

    I used NR 311 ni to fix the cracks. It was an easy wire to use in the flat position.

  7. #7oceanobob2013-08-30 23:44

    Curious: why not use 7018 excalibur with some backstepping? perhaps a bit slower and will have wonderful impact properties....

  8. #8OCR2013-08-31 02:37

    Pics of fixing a large crack: Oh man... that's a good one...:lmao Or... a bad one, maybe... :laugh OCR... LOL

  9. #9powerjoke2013-08-31 15:30

    I can't quite wrap my head around what it does, have any videos?

  10. #10heavylift2013-09-01 07:17

    It reminds me on a p-38 can opener. Looks like you may place in the ground, then start cutting all the roots around the tree. Then maybe a gentle push,

  11. #11Delmer2013-09-01 11:19

    I think it's for orchard work, think a whole orchard of 8" trees that nobody likes, tear them out to plant a new variety. It runs about 1' deep and lifts the root ball right out of the ground and pushes it to the side. Go right down the row?

  12. #12Scrub Puller2013-09-03 22:59

    Yair . . . powerjoke I'm with you there mate, I just don't understand. I have cleared many acres of orange and mandarin groves and can't imagine what you could do with that what couldn't be done with the judiciously tilted toe or heel of an angle blade . . . but there has to be a reason and a video would help. Cheers.

  13. #13Mccahilldozing2013-09-14 01:59

    Basically it runs like a big plow through the orchard. The trees are all planted in straight rows and have berms for the irrigation. Well we stick the digger in the ground and run it about a foot deep. It pulls the tree along with the root ball up out of the ground and lays it along side of the tractor. In smaller trees we can run the machine in second gear. We can dig out about 30 to 35 acres in a 10 hour day of running. Since we charge by the acre for removal the faster we get the trees out of the ground the more we make. I have a couple vidoes and I will try to post them to youtube so you can see what I'm talking about. This type of digger also really works good for vineyard removal.

  14. #14Mccahilldozing2013-09-14 02:05

    I am not a big user of stick rods. When I was in college they only preached innershield and mig welding for heavy repairs. I learned with stick but just don't use it that much. Because of the size of the weld and the length involved a felt it would be faster and better to use an innershield wire. I usually use NR-212 on alot of my repairs but because of the impact properties I choose NR 311Ni. It was a really easy wire to run. I ran it right about 29 volts with a wire speed of 250ipm. The weld was low spatter and really easy to clean up which saves a lot of time. For me the longer I am welding means the more time the machine is down which is costing me money.