Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pics of Rear Drawbar/Hitch/Winch for SSLs/CTLs

StumpyWally · 2013-10-28 17:49

Improvement # 2 to my New Holland L220 SSL was the addition of double 2" receiver hitch tubes to the rear drawbar. See my thread A SSL/CTL is basically just a "power unit" to which you add attachments. It makes total sense to me that you would want to be able to pull things from either end. Maybe not so much in the construction field, but for landscaping, farming, or other unusual uses I think a rear mounted drawbar or hitch or winch could be very useful. If you doubt it, see this thread as an example: So, I would be very interested in seeing pictures of how other owners who share my point of view have added or fabricated a rear drawbar, or hitch, or winch on their SSL or CTL. Please post pictures of your solution with some reasons for doing it. I would be particularly interested in a solution for a JCB/Volvo.

Replies20
  1. #1Digdeep2013-10-28 20:18

    A 2" receiver is standard on all ASV(now Terex) machines. I like it because it is built in to the frame for heavy pulling.

  2. #2durallymax2013-10-29 22:49

    For our needs I just built an attachement for the front to move equipment around. We never need to actually tow something while we have another attachment on. We use the SSL's for moving equipment a lot and need a one person system for moving equipment which is why I am making an attachment with a reciever tube that allows different "hitches" to be put in it. One with a 3/4" pin sticking straight up for moving most equipment around. Then some other ball attachements and a pintle one which will all be stored on the plate itself . I will be making it on a bigger piece of pipe than a standard reciever. This will ensure that nobody will steal the hitches to use them in a pickup or something. The reason for needing a "one person" system is due to the cabs and not being able to get out to put a pin in.

  3. #3Construct'O2013-10-30 20:07

    Here's one i had built for my machine works great!

  4. #4Construct'O2013-10-30 20:12

    Why i added the hitch.Also one i had put on the mini to pull the tile stringer with.

  5. #5Digdeep2013-10-30 20:13

    Very nice.

  6. #6stumpjumper832013-10-30 22:28

    Awesome constructo, I like it a lot, if only it was on my gehl ctl70. I was actually thinking about making one so I could pull a wagon running gear converted into a log wagon.

  7. #7CRAFT2013-10-31 03:08

    My Version of having installed a 14,000# Warn winch & bumper c/w trailer hitch ……. Originally I had added the suit-case style counter weight brackets (6yrs ago) …. I modified the brackets to attach the Bumper c/w Warn winch, this bumper easily hinges away from the tail-gate or can also be totally removed (4-bolts and Warns quik-disconect cable system) it only sticks out barely 10" past the tailgate, the bumper is virtually the same width as the Bobcat @~76" …. I used Warns Wire-less remote control :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup, they claimed it to be good to 50', but it works beyond the 125' of the 7/16" spool cable reach ….. FYI : For those that were interested in using a back-up camera, you can see my camera mounted above the tailgate, very safe and out of harms way mounted there, visibility is great (wide-angle) Night & Day. I have to do some more cosmetics (LOL) like the 1 missing b/u light and re-paint the bumper, will also add some expanded metal on the left/right sides of the bumper as that area is designated to carry extra cables, snatch-block, shackles etc. …. will put a piece of expanded over the winch too, it became a natural spot to pack a good sized chainsaw safely (like my 066 Stihl Mag & 28" bar) c/w extra gas/oil ….. For day to day Bcat use I remove the extra suitcase weights (5-mins) but when I've got the big mulcher out front, or any of my heavy lift attachments, I add the suit-cases and it's a perfect weight balance

  8. #8StumpyWally2013-10-31 09:14

    Construct'O, that's a very nice simple & strong looking design. CRAFT, boy you got it all...receiver hitch, winch, & tool carrier...nice!! Keep the pics comin'...

  9. #9CRAFT2013-10-31 12:55

    Thanx Stumpy ! …. it was quite a project to put together, But well worth it !!!:drinkup

  10. #10StumpyWally2014-05-22 07:45

    Well, I finally added a rear winch to my own skid steer. Here is a pic... View attachment 119154 ...and you can read all about it starting at post #63 at my thread

  11. #11pafarmer2014-05-24 05:10

    Very cool Mods from you guys...I will be stealing your winch design Wally...Well done by all posters.

  12. #12StumpyWally2015-02-08 14:13

    CRAFT: How did you pipe & how do you control the hydraulic winch that you put on the back of your Bob Cat SSL??? BTW, the only commercially available hydraulic winch on the back of a skid steer that I have seen is from SuperTrak. Check this out: http://www.supertrak.com/storage/WinchKitD.pdf Also, the only other commercial reference I've found to a rear winch on a skid steer is in the JCB Operator's Manual for their large frame SSLs-CTLs 225, 260, 280, 300, 320, & 330. Check out the following from the manual: But no body I've found in JCB seems to know anything about it & it does not appear as a priced option.

  13. #13CRAFT2015-02-08 21:39

    "Who Said It WAS Hydraulic ????? " …….. I posted a "WARN Winch " ….. 12V and it happens to be the #14,000 model …. LOL …. BUT Hydraulic driven now that would be the BEST way if you wanted to ….. it sure would be a Hell of a lot Easier on the Battery & Alternator ….. that day I was stuck it was more than once I had to wait for the Battery to recover …. NOW If I was to do that … Bobcat has the option for rear Hydraulics, used for rear stabilizers when using for the Backhoe attachment or the Tree Spade … but to make it easy i'd run 2 hyd hoses down the top of the boom and use the Aux couplers in front, it not like you'll use it all the time but would be nice to have it there just in case ….. I have an old Braden PTO winch and would just chain drive it off to one side of the winch with a hyd motor like they do on Wreckers …. I May just still look in to doing that …. Thanx for putting the bug in my ear … LMAO ….. might be a job on this springs "TO DO" list of stuff …. LOL ……. cheers … GK

  14. #14CRAFT2015-02-08 22:14

    Stumpywally : That Kit I think is the version on a picture that motivated me to install the winch on mine ….. it sure look similar to this pic … The winch in the link you posted looks like a hydraulic model of the Warn winch I'm using …… seems I saw that model in a Warn Catalogue ….. gonna check it out again ….. later …. GK

  15. #15Bumpsteer2015-02-08 23:23

    Even my old Bobcat 743 has the rear axillary's, tap into them and remove the lock bolt from the left joystick and one is good to go...now ya'll has got me thinking..... Ed

  16. #16StumpyWally2015-02-09 08:49

    CRAFT...For some reason I thought your winch setup was hydraulic, but thanks for reminding me that it's an electric Warn setup. And yeah, I bet that does suck the battery down. Even my "little" 8,000lb Warn on my NH L220 has a pretty heavy draw, but fortunately my L220 has a 120 amp alternator which keeps the battery pumped. Also, I didn't realize that some SSLs (like your Bobcat) have rear hydraulic connections. My NH does not... As to getting you & Bumpsteer thinking about hydraulic winches now...always glad to help out!!! I'm interested to see what you come up with. I think I will email SuperTrak & inquire as to how they pipe & control their hydraulic winch on a Cat.

  17. #17StumpyWally2015-02-11 17:14

    Hey CRAFT, where are you...I sent you a PM.

  18. #18CRAFT2015-02-11 21:16

    We had a Full on Structure Fire this morning … Mutual Aid another Halls area ….. just got in …… On the Western side of the Continent …. LOL ….. don't forget we are at least 3 hrs time zone different …… I'm off to practice now …. TTYL ...

  19. #19StumpyWally2015-02-12 10:04

    Went to plow some snow yesterday...about 50' from my garage door I "lost focus" for a moment & backed my NH L220 SSL w/ OTTs too far back, down a slight incline with the rear end stuck into the snow bank. It had warmed up a little, so the snow was now wet & packed. Went to pull out, & my rubber OTT's couldn't get a drip on the hard packed snow/ice. So, what to do...?? I was by myself, wife was recovering from a cold in the hse., didn't want to disturb her...couldn't just tow my SSL out because unless you're sitting in the seat, the brakes won't release...Then, I saw the back of my 4wd compact diesel tractor just sitting in the garage, on which I had previously installed a 2" receiver hitch drawbar affair. Plus, I had wired it to run my 8,000 lb. electric receiver-hitch mounted winch, which I can interchange between my SSL, my pickup truck, & my tractor. But, the real trick was that I have a wireless remote control for the winch. So...put the winch on the back of the tractor...spool the winch cable out to a chain around the snow plow on the front of my SSL...then drive the SSL while operating the winch with the remote....& a small tug later my SSL was unstuck!!! Worked slick as a mink!! Who says some of my crazy ideas don't sometimes pay off...!!

  20. #20CRAFT2015-02-12 12:50

    :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :exactly :beerchug