Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Picture and info request

HCF ยท 2011-02-10 23:37

I was asked today for some pictures and an explanation of how the grapples are rigged on a swing yarder. If anyone has any pictures it would be appreciated. I am under the impression that you need an MSP or a Young iron bird in the air to run with grapples. Thanks!

Replies9
  1. #1JeremyM702011-02-11 00:02

    Check out the VanNatta page, they have a diagram and description on there. Lots of cool stuff on there if you haven't visited before. http://www.vannattabros.com/iron.html

  2. #2Contract Logger2011-02-11 02:02

    Johnson Industries is the premium supplier of yarding grapples today. http://jlogging.com is the link. Lots of info there.

  3. #3prolog nz2011-02-11 03:33

    has anone on here used a johnson combination grapple/carriage? If yes do they work well? only used promac grapples and haven't heard many good things about the johnson grapples.

  4. #4HCF2011-02-11 20:07

    Thanks for the replies guys. These should be great.

  5. #5furpo2011-02-11 23:07

    Ive used both the combination and straight grapple from Johnson. I found the straight grapple better probably because I was not very good back when I used the combination option. Where are you logging Prolog nz?

  6. #6BDFT2011-02-12 00:00

    Never seen a Promac grapple but I've smashed a Johnson grapple through the timber a fair bit. Never had any problems. Here's a hot tip. Hook one of your grapple chains one link shorter. That way the one of the tongs hangs down more than the other and the grapple flops over the tree easier.

  7. #7Murk1002011-02-12 00:14

    Johnson bunching yarding grapples are the best. I've used Promac Micron Mantle etc. (my 2 cents) I have not used their combination carriage I've used a few drop line carriages and had good luck with the Danabo Hope this helps

  8. #8LOGDODGER2011-02-12 03:12

    Johnson grapples are better than Promacs, there better weighted so they hook trees easyer specialy in poor lift where a promac would lie flat on the tree. But Promac carrages are better, freeer running sheves and a lot easyer to thread lines through!

  9. #9Idaho Logger2013-01-05 21:52

    Anyone know where you can find a used Johnson or Promac??? Would like to try it on one of my yarder