td15e stripped down waiting on new disks and seals for brakes and 2 speed steering
700 lorain with sheetmetal stripped waiting to be cleaned before rebuilding swing and travel boxes, masterclutch and torque converter.
swapping out a 6v71 I picked up at a gov. auction into a 750 sullair comp.
D8H before and after
CAT TH580B that now has wireless remotes
Good pics!
A Volvo TAD1242GE that customer had allready had his men pull head off of when they decided they wanted us to pull unit out of gen set and go thru it.
Nice work HATCHEQUIP. Dresser TD 20 in the first picture?
good pics. what year is the d8?
td25 that's a td15e that a farmer down the road brought in when he lost low on the right side. mike its a d8h 46a 1969 year we got it from TVA. out of frame major on engine and torque with new cat crank about 1000 hours ago we finished up with it on the farm and ran it thru the body shop
td25 got a question for you or anyone that might know, linings are falling off disks you can rake it off with your thumb or slam one on its edge and the lining falls off any thoughts?? I know on Allison trans. disks in rigid frame haul trucks its a sign of antifreeze in the oil. going to pull oil sample and send off and have already pressurized the trans cooler in the radiator with 30 lbs air and looked for bubbles in water and didn't find any. but Im worried about the trans. discs now since its the same oil as steering.
Hey HQ,Are you having any trouble getting IH parts now that the china man bought dressta? I got one down 6 weeks and counting.
Not so far but the dealer down here said they were coming from Chicago I think. I might go with outfit in California on the disks, haven't made up my mind yet but they are half the cost on disks.
The wireless remote on the TH580B will come in handy at times,Cool. Whats your opinion on the Dresser TD15E from a mechanics point of view HATCHEQUIP ? Is it well built structurally ? Hard to work on or not to bad?
Yea I think that is what they told me .I have used the disk from ca . with good results,I have Dresser parts backordered now from them too.
I just dont know HATCHEQUIP? Would think heat & time would be hard on them as anything. I assume they are bonded? If so I would check with my local shop www.brakesupply.com As they may be able to reline the discs.
had a komotsu in a year ago that was a 2 speed copy cat of dresser and it was a pain getting the top off but the dressers are a good solid machine and not bad to work on this E has the B series cummins instead of the 466 and when you get a operator use to that 2 speed steer they don't know how they ever did without it. But Ive been hearing horror stories about parts for the internationals and dressers,. kind of reminds me of fiat and fatallis back in the early 80s. personally I think dressta is shooting themselves in the foot on this
Good Luck ,and let me know how it goes maybe I just need a new dealer.
Try mike with Power equip. in Chattanooga, good people.
hatch, great start to the thread looking forward to seeing more.......TIO
Thanks for the reply HATCHEQUIP. That TD15E looks like a nice machine & the two speed will spoil an operator. It's a nice feature that IH developed years ago but if Dressta wont support the parts end most people will leave the brand. But then you have Knuckle heads like myself that will look at one and then bring it home LOL
My Dressta parts came in today so I guess for now we can still get parts it just takes a LOT of time and a LOT of money, thanks for your help
got all the seals and hoses from power still waiting on the disks from the west coast
I got some tranny disk from K town but that was before Ga beat Tn
Hey Hatchet I'm not sure if this is going to apply to you or not and if you got it used there might not be a sure way to tell but this is what I was told. Years ago the company I started out working for had a lot of older equipment. We were always told to use regular 15W40 engine oil in the transmission as long as it wasnt hydrostatic. Then once we finally got into the newer equipment was when it was recommended that we get 30W oil for the transmissions. Never had any problems at all. Now I've been working for a different company for a few years and they've got older equipment as well but they run 30W trans oil in everything. Including the rears in rubber tired loaders. I asked the shop boss one day why they didnt use the 15W40 in the transmissions. He told me that they did for a long time, because even some of the manuals say its OK to use, but when they switched over to the 30W oil the noticed that they were dropping transmissions left and right for the same thing....the oil was having a reaction to the glue used to stick the material onto the plates and the clutches where pretty much falling apart. Maybe someone else can add on to the story. Only reason why I asked was because I wanted to make sure I was putting the right oil back where they wanted it.
3rdgen we use 30wt allso
R50 Euclid that we rebuilt all the drivetrain components then modified a bed from another truck to fit and then ran it thru the bodyshop
building another service truck?? I think I see a tandem service bed in the #1 pic there I think that's the service body I want next!! lol
One of the customers just got this in a few months ago. HC138 Linkbelt. Had to remove swing brake and rivet on new pads. replace some wiring and switches on the outrigger controls. replace all the carrier brake chamber cans to new style. shes a sweet running old girl that has been well taken care of.
dog wagging its tail or tail wagging the dog
tree was starting to die and right in the way of where we wanted to put the fence. Some of the equipment were using to fence. Our paystar 5000 with all wheel disc brakes
What year is that truck? I've never seen air operated disk brakes.
Ive forgot what year have to check but it will dam sure stop fully loaded and give change back. It started life as a mixer truck then in its later life got turned into dump.
I have a 1986 GMC 7000 with disk all around. It will put you through the windshield if you aren't careful.
Yair . . . I didn't know that class of truck came out with discs back then. What about now? Like Mike L I have never seen air operated discs, you'd reckon it would be the ducks guts. I remember I had a '69 thirty hundredweight C1300 Inter ute (pickup) with discs all round which was pretty advanced for its time. Cheers
You know scrub, I've seen and handled a duck's guts a few times, and also the stuff that comes out of a duck's guts, and I wasn't that favorably impressed with either.....................
Had a 86 or 87 don't remember :beatsme gmc 7000 mechanics truck with disks all the way also and yes it would stop also had a experimental cat 3116 in it that they were going to replace after a year to see how it was doing. Sent in weekly reports and cat came from down from factory every couple months to run the overhead and make sure I hadn't turned any screws it was a great truck with 6 and 2 and good power but I went thru 3 engines in 1 year in about 100,000 miles and cat had to lift the cab to get engine out even with flip frontend asked the factory man about the engine since they were getting ready to put in production and he sayed they were getting about 2000 hours before they were failing
As the sayings go slickern snot cats meow and all the rest
td15e 2 speed steering going back together and getting installed
all those hoses hook into the bottem of the steering valve under the fuel tank, you have to hook them up by going thru its it little a__ hole as the top plate is put on then valve.
mkb hammer came in for a rebuild
Komatsu D87e2 for the 2 speed steering to be rebuilt this is komatsu's copy of internationals 2 speed steering but the internationals are alot easier to get in and out
28 ton grove rt that we had to rebuild the hydraulic and air swivels on and then the customer decided he wanted the annual inspection done told him someone had butchered the wiring harness where the lmi hooks to the valve body and that it was all hotwired and would need a little attention.
Hey, did you have a JD 700 on your yard a while back, thought I saw one in a pic.
yep left final drive took a dump
Industrial wheel 700- 700a like a 5020 only yellow.
sheepsfoot this must be it 5010 john deere
fl10c fiat that quit steering because the suction strainer was ,,,,,well it was just full of it. cleaned it up and did a little adjusting on brakes and steering linkages and she went back to working. their supposed to change the oil and clean the strainer today and run it to see what it does when it gets warmed up
gotta love um
Those are some nice presses, at one time there was a 300 ton water press at a shop down town that did boat shafts and props along with other things. Thanks for the pic on the JD, we had a 1969 700a that was about the same as the 5020, rated at 145hp with monster rear skidder tires on it. The 5010 were only around 110hp I seem to think. You have some good picks of repairs going on.
finally getting started on the 700 lorain
Thompson Cat came out and inspected the 773d with a customer and they gave it a clean bill of health.
building more cylinders.
building the mower deck on a kuhn
resealing final drive after pop found kite string and got the seals while we had it down resealed both track adjusters installed 4 new top rollers and built up the idlers then sent it thru the body shop bridge job in north east Georgia mountains did a mechanical inspection after 665 koehring got moved into job and set up.
That's a helluva Grove carrydeck crane in that first pic. I did some drill rig work installing horizontal drains in the NE Georgia mountains back in the 90's on US 76 between Blairsville and Clayton GA.
Well you crossed the old bridge, its going down when the new one is finished, looked for a date on it while they were getting ready but didn't find one.
Chatuge Lake or Lake Burton?
Lake Nottely
Ahh, got it. Here was my view on the top of a mountain on US 76, Here's what I was after, water that was making the mountain move.
last few years their having a lot of problems with this up here
Copy that. When I arrived at that slide area, a 988 Cat was hitting it daily and loading the material on R35 Euc's. Watching him hit and load day after day, you couldn't tell he was making progress, only containing the active slide material. By the time I was done poking holes and draining water from the hill, everything settled down, and there was a lot of water coming out of those drains.
they been havin a heck of a time with 74 64 I came back that way to check on a machine in Cleveland and they still have it down to one reversible lane
That the route I took when I left Knoxville going to jobsite, up the Ocoee River valley to jct of 129/19 and turn right to Blairsville. That's one of those spots you can't get there the way the crow flies, any route you plan includes driving many miles that would be only a few if you could go straight because of the mountains. The southern Appalachian Mountains are notorious for slide areas because the material is very loose, almost like overburden material. Doesn't take much water, and freeze/thaw of winter, to knock a pile of material loose and dump it on a road. And the beat goes on.
in post #54 what are those tools with the red handles? never seen them perhaps I need them, you may as well provide me make and model and a good place to get them!............TIO
^^^what he said^^^ Packing installers? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Yep, they're used to install u-cup seals. Pretty handy tools, especially for small diameter rod cylinders that are a bi-itch to install the u-cup in the gland.
I only saw someone using these installers just last week. I was like you Iron Oracle, What are they? What do they do? Now I just need to find where to buy some.
Not sure if there is a Graingers in Australia but here is a link to them: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ORing-Installation-Tool-3CWA7 I believe the manufacture is Tizaro if that helps.
Yep Atcos correct seal installers don't really use them except on the one where theirs not enough room for my fingers and the seal then they come in pretty handy these came from a outfit called Hercules where I get a lot of my seals from. Used them today on the small seals in the extend lines on this boom telescope cylinder the 2 little rods under the cylinder
700 lorain master clutch pump drive and torque on the floor
good thing we went ahead and pulled the whole thing out and not just the leaking toque
building up some 108b linkbelt idlers
Is that a cylinder from a digger derrick?
new brass in the bottem rollers now just have to put in all the seals installing them and lining it all up
DAMN your good:notworthy or did I give you a hint when I posted about needing some info on it
Hey, that first pic in post #73 answers a long held question for me: How do you change a ring gear without splitting the tractor? A friend of my father's once asked me that about once a week for 3 months. He couldn't believe that mechanics would split a farm tractor to change a flywheel ring gear. He kept accusing me of holding out and not wanting to tell the mechanics secret. I finally said I'd tell him what to do with his $&€% tractor: Take the starter off, drop in a quater stick of dynamite, light it, bolt the starter back on, and run. He quit coming around for a couple months. :beatsme
Wait a minute, don't call me good on that, it's just (way back in my foggy memory) I recall working on a cylinder very much like that, and I seem to recall it was a digger derrick. Just more of that cluttered up s*#t in the files of my head.
Good memory!!!
Well, what brand digger derrick is it? Inquiring minds want to know.
Telelect "terex" c130 front bed center mount need to find a operators manual or hydraulic schematic its got some controls and valves that I don't know what their function or purpose is. picked it up at a sale to use on the farm for a lot of fencing and pole barn work came with 5 augers all the way up to a 30" setting on a F800 ford with the old 8.2 Detroit
Hatch did you ever say where you got those cylinder packing seal tools? Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
LMAO, now that I think about it (dig farther in the cob webs of my head) I do believe it was a Telelect Commander digger that I did the boom cylinder. You probably need to contact Terex for the info you need, the should be able to provide you with an operators manual for sure, schematics might take you a little deeper in customer support. > http://www.terex.com/utilities/en/ Digger derricks do have some funky operations. Some have a winch or a pole claw at the boom head. The digger itself typically has a fwd/rev lever, but can also have a high speed as well as an interrupt switch to "shake the dirt loose" from the auger. And then there is the system that, when you stow the auger, prevents the operator from putting too much pull pressure on the cable that winds up the auger and stow it in the bracket, thereby breaking the stowing rope. And most later model diggers have a load sensing system on the boom hoist cylinder. When your using a 3 foot auger with the boom extended, a typical relief valve on the boom hoist cylinder just won't do, you can actually put enough pulling force with that 3 foot auger to bend and damage boom sections, so their fitted with a load sensing system on the boom hoist cylinder to prevent this from happening. ALTEC calls it the HOPI system, Hydraulic Operating Pressure Indicator, can't recall what Telelect uses, but I'm certain it will have a similar system.
Nevermind, I re-read the last couple pages Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
LOVE the Link Belt pictures! I have dreamed of rebuilding an old crawler crane since I was a kid (I guess that's what happens with no video games). There's a little Bucyrus 22B a few miles from me in the woods that went up for sale recently. Owner wants a bit more than i can offer at the moment....but maybe it will sit until I save my pennies. Quick question about the painting job on that crane.....did they (or you?) sandblast the interior before priming or did they just pressure wash with degreaser? I've always wondered how people prep old engine compartments for painting... :beatsme Thanks for the pictures! It gives the mere mortals like me some encouragement that anything really can be fixed with the right tools and know-how.
Willie you said something about a switch for shaking the dirt loose from the auger what is this Ive just been going forward reverse and slinging it off. Craneinn when we get done with this rebuild Im going to post a series of pics from start to finish we went thru all the gearboxes vertical shafts and the horizontal shafts, drum swivels resealed and pins and linkages and spiders and adjusters removed and antisiezed. didn't have to go thru the engine as it was already low hour rebuild. new brass in all the bottem end. machine was stripped of the majority of its sheet metal and everything blasted and all the bodywork done and painted separately then gets bolted back together and sanded and seams sealed then the final coats of paint and decals. this unit belongs to a customer in north east that had seen some of the other cranes we had sold that were in his area and asked if we would go thru his
I've worked on several brands of Digger Derricks, I was simply mentioning some of the different functions I've seen in the mix. All have fwd/rev control for auger, but some have a switch for hi/lo auger speed, and I've seen toggle switch control that abruptly stops/starts auger when you have the fwd/rev lever engaged, this abrupt start/stop shakes dirt loose better than changing direction with lever. Others I have seen use the toggle switch to actually reverse the selected rotation abruptly, which is even more effective. My point was that you may find all kinds of funky gizmos on a Digger.
you got that shot right
Thought Id post some pics from last weekend "it was our 33rd anniversary" when I took the wife out on a little drive up to raccoon mountain a little west of Chattanooga Tennessee. The river is the Tennessee river running along the foot of lookout and raccoon mountains. TVA has a power plant inside the mountain they pump water to the top of raccoon when the power demand is low and store it in manmade lake there and then it flows down thru inside of mountain to power generators when demand is high. The pics of kenworth were where they were rebuilding some of the components and hauling them back and forth
700 lorain pulling the travel "front" box and swing "rear" box down
took the engine off one of our old concrete mixers and fixed it so we could carry it on 3 point hitch and use pto for power for pouring concrete around the crosstie posts were using on our fencing project
pics using those seal installer tools some were asking about
1st pic nut holding piston you can put a little locktight if needed 2nd pick put antisieze on threads holding head into barrel if you put locktight here the next guy might talk about your ancestry
Ok, you've convinced me! I'm gonna get some of those installers.
where do you get those installers? they look like the bees knees!
One Source: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ORing-Installation-Tool-3CWA7
hercules hydraulics
That's slicker than snot on a doorknob.... now on my shopping list.
I bought mine at Rocklin Hydraulics. They were the cheapest I could find. http://www.rocklinhydraulics.com/seal-installer-100.html
half the price of the one at grainger too. I bet they have them at the seal connection on the other side of town from here. i might have to pick one up for the next time i do seals.
Working on turning a compact wheeled volvo into a rock breaker some moving pictures of the prototype non explosive rockbreaking unit on a komatsu and one of its bigger brother carriers (Terex) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqKIo1iMmVg
oop
on the cylinder rebuilding how do you install all the rings and seals on the piston? I have had struggles with that and I had a hydraulic shop guy tell me that he warms the seals up in hot water and then install them and puts a hose clamp around them to make sure they stay in place! The last time I rebuilt one that's how I did it but how does everybody else do it? If I was out in the field don't know how I would heat the water? Jerry
Didn't know they made a tool for the seals. I don't really think it's needed unless you are rebuilding cylinders everyday. I've just used a pair of needle nose pliers that have no teeth on them to do I think what that tool is doing. Pretty much make the seal into a "pacman" Jerry, Yeah heat up some water. Pot of water, decent boil and let them sit in there for 5-10 mins. Heat water out in a field? Cookstove, campfire, torch, weedburner,... I think you get the idea.
Doesn't seem like that first machine would hold up very long doing that. I was waiting for a rock to bang into that upper cylinder or rip all those hoses off.
If you go slow and let the seal have time to expand as your stretching it it will go on allso then sometimes we just let them set overnight and they will retract on their own watch out using a hose clamp it will work but it can deform spots in the seal, a ring squeze works best. I agree firewood looks like it would keep a mechanic busy
set the bed off a 773D now waiting on beam trailer to get under it and pull all 6 wheels off. JD 544D that a customer sent in for a transmision rebuild but was happy to here that it just needed 5 gallons of oil and a hose and orings replaced along with the parking brake relighned, then replaced all the gauges that were milked over and couldnt be read 330 kobelco that had codes and alarm because of broke wires at pump solonoids
450 lorain terex that the telescope cylinder is getting new seals because its creeping in.
Why AG tires on the 544?
Allot of the water sewer boys run them for toting gravel and pipe to the laying crews, one company I worked for had extra wheels and tires that we would swap out on several 544 and 644 we had them running over twice this wide with special wheels when the job was wet and soft, just turn the fuel and rpms up some so they can put it to um oh and give the operator a raincoat on an open cab machine. we did the same thing on komatsus all the way up to wa500s
One thing you can do if you are concerned about deforming the seal with the hose clamp is to put a thin strip of metal between the seal and the clamp. In a pinch just a piece out of a tin can in the area of the screw part of the clamp would work. Tighten it down and go have coffee or tea and a couple doughnuts. We have a Cat made seal stretcher for putting the seals on pistons but most of the time I just work them on by hand nice and easy.
That's what I did once and then the seals were loose and so then I was afraid that when I installed the piston in the barrel that it would mess it up! Jerry
I typically heat not only the piston ring seal but the piston as well in hot water. The reason being that when you take the seal out of the hot water and attempt to install it by stretching over a cold piston the the seal looses the heat to make it pliable rather quickly. By heating the piston as well, this keeps the piston seal warm and workable. Once installed, I compress the piston ring seal with a typical ring compressor and chunk it in the freezer for a few to cool things down for installation in the cylinder.
Are those single Crosby's or just weird swages on that rigging?
Braded then clamped
I'm not sure what I wrote what I did to deserve it, but there is no reason to be rude.
VF I wasn't being rude I was agreeing with you
My apologies! With the little rolling eyes blue smiley I interpreted that as being sarcastic. An old timer logging told me ones... If it has tires, tracks or **** its going to take all your time and money at some point.bahaha!
So true so true and the rolling eyes was how long before that rig has to have the mechanic
A couple good ideas!:idea
loaded her up and pulled the wheels and tires did this yesterday when it was cool and dry, glad it wasnt today 37 f and pouring down rain that they say will turn into snow tonight. I think willie and gramps been been whispering sweet nothings in each others ears again:IMO
Is this something you took in on trade? Or do you buy and resell auction equipment? Did it get exported or stay in the states? I don't need all your secrets just curious....tio
before after These 2 were in good shape when they were brought in, they weren't ours and we went thru them repairing any problems that were found, then ran them thru the body shop. customer had seen others that we had went thru and wanted us to go thru these. These stayed in the states. Up until about 6 years ago we kept 2 or 3 euc hitachis instock we would bring them in and rebuild from the frame up with all components rebuilt and modify the beds as wanted or install water tanks. After the economy went down we sold the last 3, a r40 and 2 r60s. We tried to stay with 35s 40s 50s and 60s here is some that weve done We have bought very little from auctions but do sometimes but even then they all go thru the shop. Most of the equipment stays in north America but we have shipped all over the world. Plus we have a great group of customers that we do major and minor repairs and rebuilds for.
get us a pic of that service truck
the f700 ford?
yep
I have to agree, that old Ford caught my eye. But JMHO, give that old Ford some love and give it a paint job.
here you go ohio fleet
That would still be a dadgum nice service truck by my standards, I know when you compare it to the Pete.....
Heck yeah, that's a nice old Ford F-series service truck, a lot of space on that rig. :drinkup
Those 773D's look too nice to let them go to a quarry to haul big rocks!
That's an interesting looking crane on the the old "Henrybilt". What make/model is it?
auto crane 6,000lbs extenda boom its pretty much old school now as they are all electric, but I grew up around and using them and they still do the job plus I know how to work on them and keep them going
700 lorain twin disk master clutch rebuilt with new bearing, disks and linkage kit 700 lorain travel and swing gear boxes rebuilt found the vertical swing shaft and pinion splines ready to strip and replaced both while we were doing the bearings and seals in both boxes 700 lorain pump drive rebuilt with new bearings and seals
220 komatsu with a hydraulic bushhog attachment we made out T1 works nice on those hard to get places on the farm
Had to go down to Birmingham for a trans that wouldnt move, it had been setting in the same spot for 3 years as a yard crane and wouldnt you know the problem was both shifter cables were stuck solid, ordered new cables and another trip later had the old gal back going
finishing up the 700 Lorain
2900 Manitowoc tear down and loadout going to california
Got the telescope cylinder back together now loading the sections of boom back in to each other and hooking all the chains back up. When we got the rod out the piston packing didnt look bad so we preasure checked the tube inside the chrome rod and found that it leaked air and this cylinder didnt have a removable tube so had to have both ends turned off so the tube could be repaired then rewelded back together
load of boom for the 2900 manitowoc going to california
108B Linkbelt before and after we stripped sheetmetal
Starting down
still coming down
finishing going down and starting back up
Blasted then cleaned and cleaned some more then testing and adjusting
after it went to the body shop we stripped off the undercarriage and rebuilt it
new setscrews and bosses in the roller frames priming and painting
getting closer
allmost
FINISHED!!! Some final testing and tweeking before the customers fly in to see their machine that the father had bought new in 1970 and had started the company with.
loaded up and headed to washington dc
Nice Job!! :drinkup It reminds me of American Restorations with the owners flying in to see it.
Are they going to put that back to work or is it for display and shows? I'm guessing it is going back to work, would be a shame to do all that work and let it sit. Is their dad still around and going to get to run this beautiful looking machine?
Thanks OW that's just what the equip. manager said when he got out Kshansen yes their going to put it back to work they have a lot of newer and bigger machines but some of the older operators are going to use it on some of their smaller jobs but sorry to say that the father passed away some time ago and the son wanted it rebuilt in tribute to his dad:salute
are the other 2 linkbelts in the background owned by the same company? very nice job!!
Hatchequip, that is a great looking Crane with some fair amount of work stuffed into it, so well done that Man, when I was about 19 I had to help 2 old stagers rebuild an R.B.38 Crane rigged for Drag-line, the 2 old boys one was the driver the other was a Crane Mechanic and only worked on crawler cranes, I sharp worked out that Cranes to me were just about the nastiest bits of Iron to be found, everything is ether in an oil bath or smothered in thick black grease, with evey part somehow hooked into something else that was a total pig to set free, so again Well Done on a good job that I would rather not go near, I am still suffering flash backs to the R.B.38, I hope the owners are pleased with the "new unit" tctractors
FService no they are other units that we have allready rebuilt and are awaiting new homes seems like we go thru a couple a year got another 108B and 78B fixing to start thru
T C thanks alot about 8 years ago we had a Rustin Bucyrus 38B that we went thru and we had some of the old history on it. It came across the pond and after several years the company that had bought it sent it back across the pond for the rustin people to rebuild then shipped it back over here where we ended up with it several years later then we went thru it and sold it to an outfit that unloads salt from barges so id say that will be its final resting place. wish Id have have known about you back then as I was tring to get ahold of some of the rustin bunch for some serial # answers but finally got ahold of some people over there to find out its no more
Hatch, how did the Lorain turn out? have you got it done yet? it looked like it was going to take AWHILE
crawler or the rt
Lorain crawler.
Walked it out last Friday but the customer in Chattanooga hasn't been able to pick it up and take to job because of weather
got any pics of it finished?? I like them for some reason (I know I haven't figured out why yet either)
Its still setting in the yard Ill get ya some
sucked the tracks in and loaded it out today
back of house back of house front of house
OK, now that's more like real snow!
Pics were takin Thursday morning and by that afternoon it was up to 45
Was that the first time that your dog has seen snow?
NA he's about 7 years old and seen it around here or on trips he's just a big 90 lb. clown
my kids love the snow too.
and you know what their thinking throw the frisby throw the frisby Id do it myself but I don't have thumbs
Cutting down a tree where were fencing that was hanging out over the telephone lines, that's my brother in the basket Trimming up some trees at our dads house on his side of the lake
Do they let you use that man basket in Georgia these days? Our safety guys would have a heart attack if we tried to use one up in NY. I can remember the days when we would cut the top out of a 55 gallon drum and cut some holes in it for a cable and hoist a guy up with an old NorthWest crane!
Got 3 of these you need one? one is light weight like this and the other 2 have a concrete counterweight on the bottem. We use light one around the farm. they all have full cage around bottem and locking doors, double cables to hook to and man in basket has full harness on
We had a 17 1/2 to Bantam and I was helping dad do some work for a club. Guy in basket had to run home for lunch or something like that so dad had me get into the "man basket" and took me up. Basket was a 45 gallon drum with some angles welded to it going up above the riders head and the all 4 bent into a lifting point. Try that today!! and with a kid in the basket to boot, I was 10 or 11. Dad also had me ride the ball as well....started me out young LOL
He was teaching you that work ethic sounds like he did good
Pettibone 636 Customer that we keep their cranes up called and said they had trans. problems drove down and found the brake pedal siezed took apart and antisiezed, trans fixed. serviced it and fixed some other issues one being the frame tilt, checked and it didnt have fire going to the toggle control found that it gets its fire from a reastat knob that can be adjusted to vary the current to solonoid coil to slow and speed up the function. Reastat was bad and had to getum another. Pretty simple machine Id worked on some pettibone big fork lifts and more cherry pickers than I care to remember but didnt know they even built shootin booms fork lifts
Got the boom back in the 450 Lorain and we noticed when it came in the cover was off the lmi computer and in bypass mode so after we got everything running I started checking the lmi dont know why they had it off and they dont know either:beatsme everything works but ahha no 2 block alarm or kickout just keeps hoisting, started checking and the back card in the computer is bad now its time to take all the wires off and send in for repair.
Well we sold the Manitowoc 2900T to california and we needed another crane in that end of the yard sooooo brought a Bucyrus 60T from in back and started checking it out and setting it up. we bought the crane awile back for the boom tip to use it on another machine. Was impressed with the old machine when we looked it over back then but all we wanted was the tip but now that the 2900s gone were gona put the old gal back to work, just have to come up with another tip or put a 30B heavy lift boom in it that weve got, but its only a but and tip, need more length so I dont have to move the truck around NOTICE: anyone know where a 60T, or 30B super, tube tip could be had, contact me
Pettibone, there's a name you don't see everyday! They were made not far from here in Rome NY. We had a rough terrain type crane of theirs years back. Was a handy thing as you could do everything from the drivers seat. Front and rear steering, outriggers, boom and hoist. Good thing too as it was a bit cramped getting in or out of that cab. Hercules 3400 gas engine and a couple Funk transmissions. It went to another plant and as usual for them they destroyed it somehow. We can have a machine for ten or twenty years and it will be in better shape than when we got it, this plant can have something for a couple weeks and it's junk! Just did a quick search of old records, it was a 1965 Multikrane Model 25
That there looks like the crane we had when I started with the company in 1968. Think it was a 1964 or so machine. For most of it's life it was a one operator machine. Until that guy retired, then it was passed around like a ........! Up till that time had virtually no problems. After that problems almost every time it was used. It had two Waukasha Gas engines that near the end we repalced with a 3306 cat in the upper and a NT855 Cummins in the lower.
12.5 ton pettibone You got the getting in and out right but most neck breakers are like that except maybe a lorain they had the door down low on the side toward the front and were really nice to get in and out of just like a pickup
Don't have to go thru that this ones got cummins up and down
Linkbelt HC218. Ran up this morning and did some checks and adjusted a hoist brake
Had to reseal a track adjuster on the D8H and while I was there took some pics of the job, the 14s never quit running but the owner was glad when that 8 started pushing them again.
Pulled another 108 in to go thru or I should say pulled and pushed since this one has travel problems
hatch, i do a little equipment purchasing/repair/resell on the side, i never have done any crane work but i saw a local crane go at auction and thought i should have bought it was wondering what you think about this type and deal here is the link http://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale/...onResults=yes,sm=1,category=2088,sort=ad+desc , just seems like a good deal but i know very little. any info helps. what i do know is there is no money in the typical stuff like excavators, dozers, backhoes etc......TIO
Sounds like IP gave it a clean bill of health, but I don't know how they were getting it certified because those dents in the bottem of the main boom wouldn't pass. that's probably why it went a little light on price, still would make a good yard crane around a shop. I agree every body and his uncle are into the dirt equipment OR WERE, that's why we like the cranes and a little mining equipment, mostly on the dirt stuff we just work on it for other people. But you have to know a little about cranes and even then it can still bite you. And its not unusual for them to have birthdays while you've got them for sale.
Hey Hatch: Any chance you would have a picture of a broken loader boom pin that I could use for a Textbook on Heavy Equipment I'm trying to finish? Very cool pics and stories BTW! Thanks, Scott
Ill take a look on the pin rack and see if their might be one that got saved for something
Those dents are deep! And their not from the ball or block hitting, there far to sharp.
Hi again: If you could find something that would be great and when you do would I be able to use it in my book? Thanks for the Help!
CAT 928G with trans problems
scattered smothered and covered and going back together
broken pin Hey Hatch: Thanks for the pic of the broken pin. Would you know what it's from? The 928 trans job looks like a lot of work! Never had the pleasure of pulling a tranny from one of them, nothin easy about that by the looks of it! What failed in the transmission? Thanks, Scott
alltogether but the valve body and going thru it now.
I like the clutch spring compressor in the third picture down in post #198! That actually looks more like the old Hough and Dresser transmissions I used to work on, or the Clarks in the Michigans. Did a quite a few of the old 966C-D and 980->988B and the old Allison CLBT5860's
108 coming on down this gear is on the horizontal shaft that runs with the gear below that is froze on the vertical shaft some heat and pressing and soaking and maybe. just letting it set and soak with the press on it and when we get time to get back on it, it will come or well cut it off.
well its not a really a pin as I couldn't find one but I thought that it might do for your pic its a stick cylinder rod from a 566 koehring hoe that snapped
I cant believe any body hasn't commented on my ketchup oil bottles I use mustard bottles too
Very impressive HATCHEQUIP ! Your a class act. I also favor Heinz ketchup
OTC NOT!!! Thanks for the cool pics Hatch.
Well I almost made a comment that where I work that would be a violation of an MSHA rule and we would get wrote up for it. If I removed the lables and put one on saying Trans 30 Oil I would probably be OK.
And one other thing how come that 928 is so clean? Seems around here if there is any yellow showing people think you are being too fussy and it needs more grease pumped into someplace. Just don't worry about any getting to a pin or bushing area as long as there are gobs around the fittings.:Banghead
Kshan they go to the wash rack before we bring them in to work on them and yes I agree about the grease around every thing but where it needs to be. allot of the times on the cranes U have to take a shovel and big scraper around the inside of them before you start washing them and then takes 2 or 3 days and lots of degreaser and whirly bird nozzels on the wash gun and plenty of hot water to get them clean because they havent been cleaned since who knows when. They are labeled lucas, 30wt. atf, 10wt,
The gearbox thing looks when stripped something like a D3 G/box innards or was it a CAT tele-handler? I know its like 1 of them, anyhow its good to see you are busy on the Cranes, as someone has to do them. tctractors
Wish I could send that much time cleaning, anything over a few hours and bosses get nervous! They don't seem to understand that a job goes faster when you're not digging and scrapping to find every bolt then fighting to keep crap from falling into a place it will cause a problem. As for the bottles they still say "ketchup & mustard" so the safety germs would still freak out. I've heard stories of guys putting antifreeze in MountainDew bottles and having another guy drinking it. Why someone would drink someone else's soda is beyond me! And if they can't tell the difference between ketchup and ATF maybe they deserve to eat their burger with the ATF on it.
a timber jack trans problem John Deere 850c that was acting screwy on the travel after cleaning harness conections and checing voltages ordered a travel motor speed sensor and a few other odd and end pieces to keep the weather off the shifter and she went back to pushing straight and not all the sudden out of the blue doing a right turn Clyde!!!
Cat 928 g rolled out of the shop today after getting the trans rebuilt and both lift and steer cylinders rebuilt. This came from just behind the seat and smelt like fidos *** couldnt even get the seat to go back
I swear some people are closely related to pigs or coons that crap in their own nest. I get kidded because I have a whisk broom in my equipment and might sweep it out a couple times a day if time permits.
So true
Bet you would not want to visit that guys house for dinner, if he will sit in that crap all day what;s his house like?
You know that's something to think about.
True that!, Why is it an operator can bring a dinnerpail to work full, and not take the garbage home at the end of the day????. The plastic water bottles should be outlawed as well. MHO, Lee
Had a problem a year ago, older Case 1845C would not steer in one direction. Took to wash bay to clean up before working on problem. While washing it one of those plastic bottles came flying out from the center of machine. Guess what steering problem was gone! Every time I complain to boss about crap in cabs I try to be sure to word it as a safety concern, like what happens if that crap get stuck under a brake peddle?
had to fix many brake problems because of dirt under the heel of pedals over the years
Kinda like cigarette butts built up under the park brake spool on a D4H dozer?
Hadnt seen that one but allot of rubber tire machines overfilling the diffs because the piston seals on wet brakes burnt out
How about the "Failed Transmissions" that are "Rebuilt" by sweeping out the left brake peddle on a front end loader?
I have had a few 977k/L with trans inop due to garbage falling under seat and holding pedals down slightly.
Looks like some of the stuff I have dug out from behind the seat and under the pedals of skid steers.
My buddy Pat and I just spent the weekend installing new GPS logistics units in boom/delivery trucks for a prominent northeast building supply company. HOLY ****. I swear I've got some terrible disease from spending two days crawling around the floors of some of these trucks. They are godawful disgusting. Dirt and even cig smoke/ashes....who gives a crap. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...the bottles, the spills, the rotten crap, the coffee....the litter. Digging wires out of a dash that reeks of cig ash and hazelnut coffee while chipping crud off the screws makes one re-think their areas of professional ability. Grease and dirt make my day but someone's ferking week-old coffee?? I get that its a work truck, but FFS, do we need to deal with an ankle deep layer of empties???
Like I said if they will sit in something like that all day what is their house like? One may be tempted to call these people pigs but that would be a major insult to pigs. Pig don't have control over where they live or access to garbage cans and shop towels!:Banghead
Ready to start running the big clem sand blaster
Got another 773D in for a little work might put a water tank on this one this is what happens when one doesnt snap the rear hood down going down the road + no bed didnt help it any when it did come up, lucky the wind was holding the front hood closed, but if anyone was close behind it on the road
I was gone the other day and body man got the truck and cleaned it up inside and out and polished and waxed everything for me
drove down to below the south side of atlanta the other day for a problem that dealer said was bad hyd pumps. They called dealer because pumps had started making noise.Dealer changed the filters and blew oil every where from not letting pressure off tank then clamping debris between tank and top so that tank now wouldnt build pressure + leaking more oil and sucking air and making pumps growl like no tomorrow. After cleaning the sandwiched crap and replacing the hard and flat orings "happened to have on truck" that they didnt change all sounds good. But I know they got some crap in the tank had to because they didnt blow anything off before they oppened it up:Banghead doesnt vibrate hard enough,wanted the vibrate pressure checked, checked good . problem was the high low vibrate switch wouldnt work in high
had to replace the electric magnet holding solonoid on telescope for the anti 2 block
trans problems
Cool pics, thanks for sharing Hatch. Never knew they made a 6v71, or maybe I knew at one time but forgot. :tong
Liebherr 632 right side parking brake burnt and welded together locking track down but had good release pressure and after removing motor could see piston moving by putting air on it and no leaks, more on this when parts come in
Bought this down in fla. a few years ago and now were done using it and a neighbor has decided he wants it
They made just about any combination of cylinders in the 71 series! Same with the 53 series. Some are more common than others, like the inline 4 and 6 cylinder and the 8, 12 and 16 V engines.
Ever heard of 51 series Detroit?????...... and I don't remember a 8 12 or 16-- 53 series but I do know for a fact that the 53s that turned 2800 would drop valves like crazy but you could turn them down to 2400 and live, had a fellow years ago that had one in a little P&H hyd truck crane and he told me it kept dropping valves and would I rebuild it. I built the engine in it and he asked me if it was going to still drop them and I told him probably would but I could turn it down and it probably wouldn't, turned it down and saw him at a job 6 years later and asked him about engine and he told me it doesn't get to the jobs as fast as it use to but it gets there and he hadn't had it drop any more valves and he was glad to put up with the lack of speed
Wow!! A Franklin 3000. Have not seen one those in a while.
1st one for us as we dont do that much in the timber machines but boy does it cut and spins like a kids top, should have gotten video of it when the ol boy 1st got on it, his cousin and me were both rollin on the ground we were laughing so hard
Detroit Diesel did build an 8V-53. Not very common and Ive only seen 3. Two were in ? Pettibone style cranes set up to do Hi-rail work, and the other was in a Trojan loader. I think it was roughly an 8 yard machine.
I know someone putting some 6-71's in the bin for scrap here pretty quick. They could be had for scrap price if anyone wants them. they have the typ Detroit problems but are good cores, located in SF bay area going to be cut up with in the next month or so. they were bolted to BIG DC generators
Guess I missed a little on the 53 series remark but there are a few 12V-53 seems they were not a production model: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWrg3cFod7Q No sign of a 16V-53 Never saw a 51 series but have heard of them. On a Detroit Diesel Group on Yahoo there are a few guys with them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_51
That 12v53 is interesting, I imagine its good for 400-425 HP. The package size could have opened up some interesting applications. The 51 series info reminds me of a story I heard some years ago about the Navy experimenting with Quad turbo 6v53s for firepumps. They were air start through the intake minus the blowers, the claim I heard was 700 plus HP. For a SHORT time.
Sounds like a Cummins engine a friend of mine was telling me about. Apparently they made a fire and rescue b-model that was something like 550 or 600hp Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
51 series had no valves never seen one but dad has a manual on it said they sounded like a bumble bee and that 12v53 is the first ive ever heard of to bad it never went into production
knuckle boom for a hydraulic press to compress the clutch pack springs on the parking brake found out what caused the parking brake to burn up and lock down was that they had pulled the travel motor and sun gear to move the machine on a previous problem and then had left a snap ring out. All back together now and good brake pressure.
hydro ax 611es does anyone know where the s/n tag would be or where its stamped on the machine it has a 22bs s/n 4669 cutter on it I think its got a electric problem arms wont open and the cutter wont spin I believe the rocker switch on top of joystick is for arms but dont know where the swich is for cutter
On that 611, the bunching arm, the big arm on the bottom of the head, is opened and closed by the two foot pedals on the left side of the steering column. The rocker switch on top of the joystick is for the accumulator or flapper arm at the top of the head. Its been a long time since I've been in a 611 but on 99% of all cutters ever built, the control switch for the saw disk will usually be on that panel by the right arm rest
Thanks Looky between you and the others on here will figure it out
I believe one of those breakers on the dash is labeled joystick, if not one is for the joystick. Did you find the saw switch?
The rocker switch in the picture thats mostly by itself behind the throttle lever should be the saw switch. I don't recall if the panel on the dash has a breaker for the joystick or not. Open the emergency door on the right side and it gives easy access to all the wiring under the dash
GOT IT WORKING after finding where the switches were checked the power and relays and it was good coming out of them. Kieth at parts and service told me where the wires went to the solonoids and where the solonoids were located after opening the panels on the front between the loader arms found this, wiring pulled loose from all 3 solonoids after looking down to see where the rest of the wiring harness might have gone saw this way down below started pulling covers from undernieth and from artic area and saw this started cutting all the bobwire and unwrapping the harness and greaselines. It pulled the harness from connector under cab and from the solonoids out front and the grease lines and wound it all up. It was wired with weatherhead connectors that we had so we just replaced the ends and found which wires went where and hooked it back up, replaced grease lines and she is back to working.
Nice! LOL, great design that....
Remember these MDI yutani 240B lc went to swap out idler but it was for a straight 240 and not a B and wouldnt fit or thats what it said on the side of it Went ahead and resealed the bucket cylinder while there DOES ANYONE KNOW OR HAVE A IDLER PLEASE CONTACT ME, THANKS
Should be a 24100J6379F1 no promises, try Boyd and Sons Machinery, LLC in Indiana Phone: (888)477-4188 or (800)443-3909 Fax: (812)254-7093 CAT/Mitsubishi/MDI Yutani/Kobelco, I didn't keep my scorecard so I'm not sure who danced with who over the years. As a guess, might be the same as the CAT E240B or EL240B but it's just a hunch.
the MDI Yutani B was after cat bought Mitsubishi I think they were the same as kobelco mark III maybe
Likely, that part number is a Kobelco number..... check the dimensions before you get one shipped yeah?
240b is a 909-2 according to kobelco. and yes it was after cat and mitsi got in bed mdi was what mitsi dealers sold after mitsi and then that went to kobelco
Thats the same part # as a parts book I had from years ago and checked with dealer and still a correct # for this machine.Boyd and sons had to look up yutani on internet after I spelled it for them, said they had never heard of one
Try Altman Tractor in Florence SC. A friend of mine had a MDI-Yutani (a 907? about 45,000lbs) a few years ago and they found and ordered him a parts book from Japan- in Japanese, of course, but when we looked at the pictures and gave them the numbers they got everything he needed. Just don't bother trying Altman in Conway, they're useless.
They advertise that part number on the web, says they have 4 in stock. (shrug)
What was the difference in the idlers? The width of the chain?
Width and diameter and width of bolt pattern, yes they called back later and said they had 4 in stock just didn't know what yutani was and they had to look the part # up that I gave them, called customer and told him... THANKS Lantraxco
As the Colonel on the A-Team used to say "I love it when a plan comes together!"
HAHA I had to explain that saying to a young cod just the other day he had never seen or heard of the A Team.
How has he never heard of them they just made an A-Team movie last year. BTW did you get my email hatch? Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Emailed you back and don't ask me some people just don't know good culture
I pity da fool that doesn't know the a-team
And probably never heard of airwolf or as my wife called it years ago that squellin pig show "she said that's what the chopper sounded like"
Airwolf, loved the show, hated that useless twit that played the pilot...... what a waste.
Yea liked the copilot ernest borgnine I think was name mchales navy. hogans heroes was another I liked Shultz I know nothing see nothing hear nothing
Extec s4 Trouble shooting some hydraulic problems ended up replacing the main pump for conveyors and travel and going thru a travel motor and fixing other small things before they grew. This customer has 5 extecs crushers and screens and they seem like good dependable machines but the product support for them is :Banghead
Anyone here close to northwest GA. have a good used 8.3c cummins for a hydra ax. Engine blew in the one we had in the shop fixing the wiring on and the ol boys looking for a used one
You can check with W&W tractor in moncks corner, SC. But if you can find a normal 8.3 out of a piece of farm equipment or something of the such, its not the best option but I've done it before, just swap the injection pump and turbo and plumbing over and its the same thing
Thanks Be ill give um a call
Out of body shop now. waiting on a customer then we will put a bed or water tank on it depending on who wants what Walked the 78 linkbelt in for its turn thru the body shop Owner thinks he has found a low mile truck engine for us to swap into this 300-7 komatsu Engine and undercarriage job here. Makes it nice to be able to pull the counterweight and sheetmetal to give um a bath before you get started
Dang that looks too pretty to let someone go running it around some quarry hauling shot rock or spraying water making the roads all muddy. If I ever get down Georgia way I'd like to check out your shop, looks like you guys do some fine quality work.
And you would be more than welcome
You sure do some very nice looking work, can't wait to see the Linkbelt once you are done.
some pics from a few weeks ago komotsu pc300lc-7l put a reman head on the engine old one was cracked ac wouldnt work we have resealed all the cylinders but this one doesnt want to cooperate but the d8 pulled it apart
track adjuster rebuild on a cat 963B from a couple weeks back. Had to replace the inner cylinder and piston as they were ate up and wouldnt have held the new seals
renner 70 35 ton lift notice anything missing one winch no winch
LS78 Linkbelt coming along, getting all the panels back on and sealed
that a/c evaporator looks like an identical set up to our komatsu dozers. with all this dust they plug up steady and I swear the expansion valve is the first part they use when building the dozer. takes a couple hours just to get to it. How do you like your crane versus the typical service truck crane?
A note on the renner any one that knows where a winch might be give me a yell customer was wanting a quote to tear it down and rebuild the complete unit and take it up north and reassemble it but with only one winch its pretty much a lost cause
The front arch seems a bit of a leaner as well....
Mike L Yep a true P.I.T.A. on the komotsu I like the nuckle booms allot better
must be the pics as it was a pretty straight and tight old gal but factory parts are pretty much a no go
You could probably adapt something on there of course, though at that point I suppose you would be liable for the engineering......
Is the support on the extecs just hard to get ahold of people or parts availability bad? Does this customer operate a c-12 or c-10 jaw? just wondering how they are put together?.......TIO
Yesterday afternoon I started stripping out an Extec C12 Crusher fitted with the V6 1015 Deutz engine, the engine is the good bit the rest of the crusher is dogged to hell, I removed the drop down hopper wings and the grizzly feeder, then all the feeder mounting springs ready for someone to start up the steam cleaner so I can see the next thing to unbolt, in the U.K. Extec have a very bad reputation on the back-up side, it has improved some over the last few years but I feel the damage done in the past by their crap parts and service is a real issue to this C'o plenty of non O.E. outfits are realy switched on in covering Extec's lack of interest in the parts area so now people buy the Crusher or screen from Extec, then buy any parts and service from these non O.E. dealers without any thought of asking Extec for even a nut and bolt, I get involved with 3 Extec Crushers (C12 and C12+) with no parts coming from Extec, the 1 that I am now pulling to bits is going to need many ?'0000s to put right as its had such a beating, the parts market loss must be costing Extec Millions per year so that must make them look idiots, its a fact its the way things stand today. tctractors
tctractors, thanks for that bit of info. I am working on a business plan to have 4-6 rental crushers that I can chase over a few states. I am glad to see Extec crushers are getting aftermarket support that means, 1. the machine is worth repairing for another round, 2. your not just at the mercy of the o.e.m. To start with I want to pick-up one 30-40 kg jaw unit then expand to a cone then a screen, on and on.... I am going to target the (30-40kg) machine for ease of portability for this is the niche I see as underserved in my area the 5000-10,000 tons of material jobs. I think I have decided I will start with a pegson metrotrack then go to the pegson 1000 cone, this is the best served by dealers in our area even though it leaves a lot to be desired....So in conclusion I need all of the warnings about the metrotrak, pegson, and the 1000 cone. How is the aftermarket for the pegsons in U.K.? I am probably done asking questions about the extecs!!.....................TIO
Speaking of blocked evaporator cores, have a look this one I got a few weeks ago. Do I win the prize??
Well here's the best I can offer: This is the heater core: Then this would be the evaporator core: This was on a Komatsu WA600, and yes that is another heater/AC that is not fun to work on!
You're absolutely right... I had to repair an S7 screener that had hit a bridge, needed a host of parts including the main top brace, there are a few different types, weld in, bolt in, and they also differ. I had to wait a month longer than they said and when it finally arrived it was a weld in unit not bolt in. They then basically said they can't take it back as it was special order. After a few calls I got a heavy discount... And had to make it work! And Cmark, I think you win!
fellows on the crushers and screens I just work on the engines, hydraulics and drives. TIO---TC hit it on the head,, had customer call and needed fan hub extec couldn't tell them anything after 3 days, had one the next morning from duetz 3 weeks later extec calls customer and said they had located one but it would be 1 week shipping and 5 times the price Lantrax your correct on the engineering, ---mounting, linepull, brakes,ect, ect. needless to say and this is truly like beating a dead frigging horse if they would just keep the cabs and filters clean sure would make it nice for the ac, but like the old boy said pay me a little now or a lot later.
Around 8 years ago I was doing some work for a Construction Co' that had 2 Extec crushers (Mega Bite) they had the V6 motors, their daft plant manager bought a new starter motor off Extec, the cost was over £1'000, the same starter even from Deutz was £220, this Co' was always crap at coughing up the coins to me for work done so I was sort of glad when they went belly up, so I think some blame on the Extec mess can be off-set to the idiot Companys that "play" in the Crusher game, the best screeners around always seemed to be Finlay kit, well built with very good after sale help, back on the Crusher thing those little units like Pit Bull etc are just a waste of fuel and time and usualy send the owners looking for a Tree with a bit of rope in their hand? for general hire the single toggle unit around 24 ton up is the area to be, with the jaw set to a minimum space of 75 mm and any size else screened off, most people try to crush with a jaw space to tight resulting in slow production levels and heavy costings, the Pegsons love a new shaft around the 7'000 hr point with an eye popping bill to help the owners sleep, cone crushers dont do well here unless the are bolted to the floor (installed) the rotary hammer jobs are getting popular in particular sites, but the only crusher that you can throw anything into realy is the jaw set unit (Toggle) if I was into the crusher hire thing I would stick to 1 type only and be master of it. tctractors
Little 18 ton grove got a torque overhaul cat 963 has engine problems how was it that song went "I hear ya knocking buy ya" cat D6H operator said the track got banjo string tight all at once
Ouch that's gona cost someone! Rod or main? Guessing a rod.
If that's a main, I'll bet the block is marginal for line boring......
Yep rod spun
I like the recoil tube. We see plenty of those at our shop. The loggers are good for broken recoil tubes. Are you going to repair or replace the tube?
Replaced the tube TD when you repair are you talking about welding the pieces back together
Anyone had the bad luck to to be in contact with win32 sality got it on my work laptop that has all my diagnostic programs loaded on it .
No, but here's some info from Microsoft that may help to get rid of it. Good luck. http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?Name=Virus:Win32/Sality.AM We got hit with one of those viruses that hold your computer hostage for ransom. We wound up having to put a new hard drive in it.
customer got hit with the ransome one
I keep my diagnosis software on a separate laptop and don't go on internet with it.
same here "toughbook" but do get updates from time to time off internet but I got this from a very nice chinese person on a hitachi disk
got milk ??? A true G eorgia M ilk C ow
John Deere 650H Pin came out of the barrel end of the cylinder and he new it but he said he just needed to push a little bit more brush. Rod broke and then gashed the outside of barrell. Weekend Warriors you gota love um
Wow, hope he has the same grin with his check book.
About like a call I got a few yrs ago. Track was off of right sprocket. Well when I got there no track in sight . Walking back up to my truck I caught a glimpse of it under the machine. Customer came by I asked how he got it under the machine . He replied he didn't know. He said didn't hear or feel anything. It just quit pulling on one side
Was the macine overheating at all ?
If it was they didn't say anything about it but while we had it we cleaned the radiator and removed the front grill and pressed it back straight with the blade they had bent it back to where it was rubbing the radiator luckily it hadn't wore thru
cat 931B wouldnt pull on one side cat D6H oil cooler and radiator pull and repair and reinstall John deere 750B final drive, replace bearings and seals and pinion Cat 773D reseal hub and brake and replace bearings
Towzer sayes aw **** on it dad
LS78 LinkBelt After all the mechanical going thru the bodyshop
And this ones for Tiny --- but it might be a little new for him with all the fancy bells and whistles Just had to stop and take some pics of it, been going by it now for 15 years and had a minute
That's beautiful but sad, needs restoring.
that Hydrocrane is one of those that uses the cylinder lifting a frame instead of a winch, isn't it? I almost bought one, once, but I thought you'd run out of cable length often.
Theres a guy that does metal art work that uses a bucyrus erie to move his metal work.
Very nice looking Linkbelts, operated a 78 Pipeliner with a clam bucket and dragline cleaning ditches. Pretty enjoyable operating, once I caught on how to operate it.
that's correct Mitch I agree Lantrax thanks Dirty
don't know why but Ive quit getting any emails about subscribed hef posts, any one else got this prob???
The gantry lift seemed to work all right , At least the machine the company had . It was quirky because you had to run out the boom then use a starter motor of sorts to payout cable . ( let the hook down with in a foot of the ground) then you were ready to work . The problem was if you found out if you were short on boom and had to squirt more out . set the load down and do the cable length setting all over . One of the mechanics talked the boss into putting a hydraulic winch on it instead of dealing with repairing the gantry set up . Back when you could modify stuff with out question . It was an H5
A big THANKYOU to ED at tool king for the help with a cat et comm addapter
No problem Randy ,happy to help out fellow wrench.
View attachment 127494 View attachment 127495 4000 manitowoc they said the boom acts screwey
The attachments aren't working
maybe now
A little worn?
cat 140 H getting some new teeth
View attachment 128473 Grove 25/35 Hated to see this one leave but shes headed to Jersey to work on RR View attachment 128474 Kobelco SK330LC getting new wiring harness, rebuilt hyd pump, rebuilt inj. pump, oil cooler and radiator and air cooler reworked, travel swivel resealed. View attachment 128475 View attachment 128476 Cat 304 with a little problem
Very good looking repair on the boom, nice touch to paint it when done. I hate seeing repairs left looking like a repair that the person didn't take time to finish. Quality workmanship shows!
85Z5-2 kawasaki how do you not see that it wont go under it after the 1st time that it didnt
fat allis setting for several years the owner came down with agent orange cancer his widow said several years ago and it finally got him but it fired up and walked on the new owners trailer. She told the man that it would crank with a boost because her husband told her it would before he passed. didnt know the fellow but he sure did keep his word and he kept the old girl up in good shape
Did one of our sidesteer operators move to Georgia recently?
Great pics and quality work! What exactly was it that the loader compressed under?
Com'on you can't tease use like that you got to give us the story on what happen
Two loader operators with buckets up, talking on the radio, passing each other? LOL
Looks like the skid steer door would be non - operable! Have to pop out the rear window?
it's a volvo/jcb with the side door.
Yes JCB Robot 185, this seems to be a common problem at the quarry. I have tried talking my boss into what I see as a simple way to correct or at least eliminate this problem. He for some reason did not think it was a proper idea. What was it? Simple remove skidsteer rops for about a week. Then take pictures of the operators to show any new hires!
Aha those conveyor belt's their bad about jumping down and getting you when you are not looking I have some of those that keep getting my guys thats why I don't buy them new machines :Banghead
honostly dont know, the fellow that bought it brought it to us and asked if we could straighten up the whole machine but he didnt want us to burn any paint as he didnt want to paint it. It had been in a paper recycling yard loading rail cars and you could tell that it was something that they were running into pretty reguarly . I like kshans idea its just so dam hard to fix stupid sometimes..... soooo let stupid fix stupid:Banghead
cat 621b trans going back up
kobelco harness off and the new one back on travel swivel resealed another cat 140H getting some dental work
38B Rustin Bucyrus New hook rollers and rebuilding the shafts and equilizers pulled off 2 setups at a time. Machine unloads salt from barges on the big T in Florence AL., & 7 1/2 years ago it looked brand new View attachment 132395 View attachment 132396 View attachment 132397 View attachment 132398
HATCHEQUIP Randy Do you have pic of the Grove25/35 you sent up here to jersey .I will keep a eye out for it .Cat tool working good for you. thanks ED
tool king it hasn't missed a beat thanks again
good to see you posting pics again Hatch,
I'm a newbie from Scottish Highlands ,i have to commend you on bringing this old girl back to life ..... wow wow wow
Yeah, where are you HATCHEQUIP? Enjoyed this thread...
Hey Hatch, always wondered how after sandblasting something like that, you get all the sand/blasting media out of all the nooks and holes. Great job and, nice work. You guys do first class work. Really enjoy the pictures. Thanks for taking time to post them!
1st off it gets cleaned with sheet metal off then it gets pulled completely apart or stripped down and repaired as needed then assembled then cleaned then blasted then it gets cleaned again then base machine gets paint and sheet metal gets painted separately then reassembled then light sanding and caulking and top coats and decals and any fine tuning of adjustments during another round of testing
good to see you back Hatch,
I second that.
Takeuchi TB175 blew a 1 amp fuse customer stuck a 5 amp in it " smallest he could find " and kept going and then after a few days it blew that and then it wouldnt stay running even after he replaced the fuse again , solenoid would pull back but wouldnt hold as it had lost voltage on the hold wire . This is what we found .
And this is a good example of why you cant up the amps on fuses because that caused this .
Cant do like some did years ago when you had someone with needle nose pliers stick apiece of copper tube in place of a fuse while others looked for smoke
hoist brake adjustment on 4100 Manitowoc
Good to see pics again. Could you post some of your truck and how you like it by now? Changes to it? Thanks
X2. I like the work threads. Still learning, is that your truck in your avatar? Pretty impressive!
Nice, working on a 4100 on the edge of the water. Fond memories of 4100.
Board traces should be a simple repair.
That will do it .
4100 unloads from barges . 86000lb. big red takes um to the storage yard to be unrolled
adjusting travel chains on a 4000 . This one unloads coils off rail cars
Me and B.L. He's on a 1550 Oliver pulling a #202 New Idea , I'm loading with a 220-5 Komatsu
Looks like as much spilling as loading LOL........ just giving you some S__T Thanks for the pictures !
Fill it till it want hold anymore and yes it sometimes gets deep
271 Detroit in a lincoln Put a kit in the engine and blower of my welder and air compressor engine "Note extra pulley and clutch on front of crank. And its just 3 years older than me
I have one of them only mine's gray. Best feature is no one tries to talk to me when I'm welding.
Mines a little quiter but not by much as i added a muffler . It also powers a 4 cylinder compressor with a manual disconnect clutch if your just doing a lot of welding . But if im using the crane and the trucks running i let it build the air if i dont need alot of air volume or press. . 80 gal. tank plumbed to truck air with a air toggle and a 1 way check so the big comp want charge the truck tanks . Works great .
Enjoy your pictures and stories especially the old friction cranes. Ran a dragline doing drainage ditches years ago, always been fond of them since!
That Red Lincoln welder reminded me of on at the gavel bed the company own up north of here. Often wondered why the welder was painted red and one day learned the story. Seems the gravel bed had this nice Lincoln welder on a trailer and one weekend it turned up missing. Cops investigated but never figured out where it went, well until some guy in town had a fire in his barn. See this is a small rural village and many of the guys who worked at the gravel bed were also members of the local Volunteer Fire department. Just so happens one of these guys fighting the fire noticed a red Lincoln welder look like the gray one the gravel bed had lost a couple years back. He mentioned this to the State police who took down the numbers off it. Checked records at gravel bed and they matched. Don't recall if the guy got charged with the theft but know the welder found it's way home to the gravel bed!
Front drum squalin on a bomag when you turn on vibrator. "Not sure if that sounded right" Water washed the grease out of the bearings, we'll have to seal up the ends better than the factory to keep water out.
Old ford with a leaking "pouring" inj. pump . After sending up to Mike "The pumps guy" we put it back on and shes ready to go back toting hay for a local farmer
Cat 140H Major rebuild , weve done several like this. More as it comes along
D41E-6 Komatsu : Trans needs a rebuild and steering needs new linings
Forward clutch pack fried
That last pic makes me anxious as can be....i guess you just hope you don't have any "extra parts" after you reassemble it.
When someone would walk in when I had a 13spd scattered on the bench they would say the same thing. Or gutting a crashed cab and moving everything to a replacement cab. Have a plan and work it.
I am going to find somthing easier than that.
servicing , electrical , and squalling hyd,s
New switch , solenoid and some wiring. Check oil levels and change all filters and hyd. and engine oils . Drain and clean Hyd. tank and clean a very nasty suction filter an she's ready for customer
Reseal a couple of cylinders for a rolloff truck
Dynapac packs ready for customer
Got the 633c out the other day and got it ready to do some work this summer if we can afford the fuel to run it
Electrical spaghetti problems
yes the bench with the wrenches, that one scares me too. Also the 3rd picture down on the Komatsu " all blowed up, sir"! Then I fell down the rabbit hole that is your website. Super cool friction rigs in there.
Cat 140h trans going back up
1st set of twins born on the farm
When I was a kid on the dairy-[Jersey} On a thanks giving morning we were surprised by one of our cows. Triplets-plus all three were heifers-all three were dingy as hell and never really turned out to be good producing cows.
With all of the AI and set up shots we do(hormones), we probably have a pair of twins per month on the dairy. The only set of triplets I saw on the farm were stillborn. We had to have the vet come out and cut one in half because they were wedged/twisted together in utero. That was the last ditch effort to save the cow after me, my dad and my grandpa had spent a couple hours trying to untangle them and get them out. It was one of grossest things I've ever participated in.
Hatch, how many guys you got working for you?
At the time I was the one with the smaller arms-so I seemed to get the job of turning one around. Stood by and watched the vet cut one up, tough to see. Life on the dairy is a different perspective isn't it Colson.
It sure is.
These 2 heifers are about a month old now and growing like weeds and wide open.
4 of us Mike plus wife running all the books and billing
G's were great graders but when the H's came out with the newer style trans. and a parking brake you can work on without pulling the trans. they were even better . I want talk about the !@$%%$^&&(*%%^#^#%^ M,s here in mixed company.
Pulled the spare 3306 out to get it ready while the machine shop has the other engine pieces then will build it back and put it up for the next time .
Sorry I missed this at the time. Not sure if it applies to your machine but I'm pretty sure it might. Did you do the spring/spacer update on the control valve station for #7 clutch that's supposed to prevent premature clutch failure.? A Serial Number gets you the info whether the update applies or not but I think it's common to all 140H. How did you go setting initial pressures on all eight transmission clutches.? From what I've see/heard they are very temperature dependent and the minimum oil temp mentioned in the service maniual (51 DegC/124 DegF) isn't anywhere near being high enoughin practice. If the tranny isn't hot enough the IP's can be all over the place. I think something closer to 75-80 DegC (167-176F) is what's needed to get stable IP's.
Here are the applicable machine Serial Numbers for the Control Valve spring/spacer/pressure setting upgrade. 140H - S/N: CCA1-UP; 2ZK1-UP; APM1-UP; 5HM1-UP; 8JM1-UP; 8KM1-UP; 9TN1-UP; 9ZN1-UP; 3FR1-UP; 3AS1-UP; 1261-UP
Nige I really appreciate this the trans has got over 17000 hours and still looked good inside with clutches still in speck but it still got a full rebuild as we would like the customer to get many more thousands of hours out of it . When I saw your post we had just bolted the valve body back on and then got side tracked on some service calls . Friday got a chance to check into the update and then checked the valve and found it had not been updated . Ordered the parts for the update and will install . Thanks again . On the oil temp i agree set the pressures at the temp the machine will be working at were lucky there as we have alot of areas to work and a few miles of road on the farm and the customers know and like the fact that we can run and test and do any tuning here so when they get them any problems will have already been seen to .
If you are going to do the control valve update on clutch station #7 then you will have to set initial clutch pressures on all 8 clutches. Attached the updated initial pressure setting procedure for a control valve with an updated #7 clutch. IIRC the #7 IP increases from 46 ± 2 psi on an unmodified valve to 49 ± 2 psi on the modified version. Do you have the required 139-7050 Cover Plate for the control valve to do that.? This is what it looks like.
10/4 on the plate
Excellent. On the 143H control valve I struggled with recently even the local dealer service dept didn't have a plate - at least not according to them they didn't. All we got was a blank look when we asked about it, as much as what the ***k are you talking about.? Strangely enough there was a plate available in the same dealer Parts Dept so the customer ended up buying that one. Go figure. A bit more back story on that grader. Two #7 clutch failures in short order. First one probably due to age (14k+ hours on the machine IIRC) , 2nd @ 60 hours after transmission rebuild. Transmission was rebuilt by an independent mechanic, the control valve was sent to the dealer for refurb with all new springs & orifices, etc. After installing the transmission the first time a dealer tech did "all the pressure checks" as part of the same Woirk Order for the control valve refurb but amazingly he never bothered to check/set the IPs, he just tested max pressure on all 8 clutches - and then he got that wrong as well. See below. After 2nd failure the same independent tore down the transmission and found #7 clutch fried. Digging into the control valve it was obvious it had all been rebuilt. Springs with paint on them, new orifices, etc. The New style replaces a single spring with two springs (inner & outer) plus a spacer for additional preload. The new outer spring is a different P/N to the former spring. However an inspection and measurement of the parts in #7 clutch station revealed that the dealer had rebuilt the valve as a mish-mash of Former & New styles. They had used the former P/N of large spring mated with the new P/N of inner spring and had also forgotten to install the spacer. As a result the max Pressure on #7 clutch was 90psi low when measured as per the new pressure specifications. What a clusterf**k.........
All over i think it was like 25 dollars worth of pieces + time to check all the press. correctly . I remember a D5m company sent to us that wasnt long out of warrenty with trans slipping. After doing some checks pulled it out and found one " I dont remember which " burnt out . Come to find out they had had the dealer out several times over hard shifting "snap your neck" which I had noticed when checking . Dealer had just kept lowering the pressures and thats what got the clutch pack . Got it back together and got out the click box and gauges got her up to temp and started going thru the procedure . When finished you could set a cup of coffee on the hood an change f to r and not spill it . Bought that same machine last year from the same company and did a major on the engine with trans still going strong . Sold it yesterday customer supposed to pick up today .
At least going through the IP settings first you know it was right when you sent it out. I was amazed at the difference the oil temperature made to pressure, especially to the IP values. We found it well worth the time spent fiddling with the quantity of shims to get the IP setting correct rather than trying to mess with the adjusting screw on the end of each valve section. We just set each screw in the centre of the adjustment range and went up/down with the number of shims to get the IP within the +/-2 or 3psi specification depending on which clutch it was. Then finally if necessary we tweaked the screw a hair to get the pressures bang on. Not a lot of fun working with a control valve when it's that hot though............
Easier to R&I that way than trying to pull the transmission off the back of the engine while it's still in the chassis.
Putting sealer on the cab getting that ready for paint tomorrow
Another pump for Mike The PG
Cab now has paint
An engine is a engine . Just never much liked working on trucks
Had a computer go down last year and lost alot of good pics here are some that they were able to recover sadly the finish pics were lost . first was another 140H and then a966H .
After removing the cab , sheetmetal , engine and trans. we pulled it outside and rolled the diffs. out
Ran the figures and it was better going with a complete cat reman
Waited 8 months for parking brake parts for this CA251D Dynapac
Friend sent me a pic of this
Man you guys unscrewed the belly button on that loader and everything fell off!
To some rebuilt is a new set of headlights--others it's every nut and bolt.
Damn, someone got paint on the Floor!!!
You pressure washed the motor? I though you were supposed to just paint the grease/dirt buildup.
Damn @HATCHEQUIP , when you redo a machine, you really go through everything. Nice work
Thanks for sharing the pictures sure good to see someone doing an overhaul, correctly.
Been thru the pics a Few Times, are some less than approvable methods of Hooking as I can see, not certain would trust a side hung Clevis balanced on a Hook tip. Likely ALL good and done routinely but REAL lift eyes would be a FAR reach better. That and Safety throat covers removed would catch hell around here.
Where exactly is "here"? You don't work at the nuke plant anymore
Have to deal with MSHA where at now, even give grief to the shop I work out of for using Open Hook Chains. And yes Nuke was BAD!!
D I hear what your saying but ------------------- Lets just say we were being safe ...... That being said we don't work in the nuke industry where I can see "yes I understand this and a lot of other industries have to be perfect" that every thing has and needs to be perfect with unlimited time and others money "taxpayers and people on that elec. grid" . Sometimes what's being picked isn't heavy just awkward "no eyebolt holes on that axle just big studs and not enough weight to hurt the shackles" and you have seen other pics that you don't approve of I'm sure but you also didn't see what else was missing in some of the pics , guide ropes so people were free from objects , picking this or that just enough to get this or that aligned . These boys have been with me a lot of years and yes were like family and we look out for each others safety ....Just don't Judge us until you have walked in shoes like ours .
But have been there done that over 20 years HE trucks and other odd machines before the nuke Osha and Msha don’t care and are getting worse, advertising just gives them munitions.
Understood
Creeks running full but not out of banks yet 1st pic is old state rd. one lane bridge on property built in 1905 the placard says . When they paved the road in the 60s or 70s they moved it about 50 feet upstream on the property line now . sure is a nice bridge for the farm tho , we can run across this without getting out on the hwy. with the farm equip.
gotta like having your own bridge!
Have a better water fence than those of around here.
Never did like chasing cows and sure dont want um on the hwy. those gates are just above the water when its normal , have the same setups on both ends of the other creek
Like that pattern, may have to Snitch it from you!!
Just let me know and ill get ya some better pics , pipe , rebar , and cattle panels makes it .
I've done some sketchy ass stuff with shackles too, tie one on some rope right and you have a hook lol I bought a bunch of OTC/CAT lifting links a while back and that really cut back on our need to innovate sketch lifting points on things.
Second the link brackets. They make easy work of attaching a lifting point to anything with either studs or threaded holes. On the two graders and the 966 was the articulation hitch overhauled.? I don’t recall seeing photos with the frames split but may just have missed them.
I'm by the book in the field with lifting attachments/ rigging with the cranes. For some reason its a different story at the shop in repair work. It shouldn't be, but it is.
On the two graders and the 966 was the articulation hitch overhauled.? I don’t recall seeing photos with the frames split but may just have missed them. Loader had been done previously It and the graders were both checked after teardown for even the slightest movement as this would be the time but they just didnt have it . This company is very conscientious of FOG
Here ya go D
Looking sharp now...... Will it be done by Friday.?
yup. Just not this Friday!
That was the first thing I was thinking when Nige asked the question!
most mechanics all share the same twisted sarcastic sense of humor. It’s what keeps us from having a nuclear meltdown
I was thinking more of . Any shop worth their salt should have one. All rush jobs are wanted yesterday. With this calendar a client can order his work on the 7th and have it delivered on the 3rd. Everyone wants his job done by Friday, so there are three Fridays in every week. There are eight new days at the end of the month for those "promised end-of-the-month-without-fail" jobs. There is no 1st of the month, so there can't be late delivery of end-of-the-month on the 1st. A "Blue Monday" or Monday morning hang-over can't happen as all Mondays have been eliminated. There are no bothersome non-productive Saturdays and Sundays, so there's no compensatory leave or overtime to worry about. With no 15th, 30th or 31st, no "time-off" is necessary for chasing salary cheques or paying bills - in fact, there's no salary cheque either. A very special day is "MIRDAY" - A special day each week for performing miracles.
I needed that thirty years ago
I stopped answering time queries in a straight fashion years ago. When the cow jumps over the moon comes to mind. You can pay up to this point and have it now. I'll help you load the pieces and change the ship too address on the parts ordered to any address you like. You can have it now but the operator won't like having to push the machine by hand. I can put all the parts in the dumpster and you can have your truck pick it up. You'll need to be quick though as the scrap iron guy will be here this afternoon. I called the dealer and they promised they would have a field guy out here in two weeks to finish this up. The service contract you signed before I started this project clearly states in extra small print that I get to pick the finish date. You can talk to my legal advisors, Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, if you aren't satisfied with my answers.
My answer nowadays is "in a month." If parts come in sooner we can be pleasantly surprised. I ordered a part early January that was supposedly "in stock". It showed up late this week. I think they had to make it after I ordered it.
We always used to answer "X amount of time after we receive all the necessary parts".
Dewey, Fahquim, and Howe.
Well we got this one fixed . Customer called and said another customer had recommended us and could we put a set of injectors in his mixer truck . Truck showed up with driver and owner following in pickup said truck would start missing when warmed up and when they were pulling over the mountain it started smoking bad then cleared up . Later in the day we pulled in shop and hooked up ET and ran a check . no codes active or stored , went thru the cylinder cutouts , everything checked good . let it run for awhile at different Rpms while I was watching computer had man in seat hold throttle wide open , all good had hm let off , stab throttle while I was looking at readouts all the sudden a sputter and RPMs fell off about 400 and raw fuel smoke . Let come back to idle all returned to normal , eased back to full throttle , still good , came back to idle and stabbed back to wide open and the sputter , rpms dropping and fuel smoke came back . had him hold it there while I ran a cutout check and found it was really running off 3 and 4 and the other cylinders weren't really doing much , as it was quiting time we decided we would pull valve covers the next morning and have a look . puled covers next morning and found valve adjustments a little loose some more than others and injectors about 1/3 of a round looser than what we reset them at . cranked it back up and noticed right off that it sounded better , let it warm up and started working the throttle like before , the old gal was sounding good and everything checked on the computer , pulled it outside and let it run . 30 min. later went out and stabbed it and it started stutter and smoke , checked the computer again and surenuff only the 2 center cylinder were hitting . Checked the fuel pressure and it was a little high then checked after the filter and it was low , if you eased into the throttle it would stay low but wouldn't act up but if you stabbed it the instant it went below 20 psi you got stutter and smoke . Checked filter that customer had already changed and it looked good but tried another just to be sure . same thing . Puled filter housing and went thru it and found nothing but air wouldn't flow thru it good when reassembled then pulled priming pump back off and popped check valves out of priming pump and found a piece of rubber . Changed pump and seals and gaskets and reinstalled filter base . Cranked it up and checked pressure , all good , after letting it run a few hours and checking it ever so often looks like the problem is history . Raw fuel smoke was a low fuel pressure problem .
Cheaper than a set of new injectors that wouldn't have even fixed the problem. Experience with other C-Series installed in machines has shown me that they are very sensitive to the fuel pressure being in the correct range.
You got that right Nige
Hello from Canada. Flywheel fell off (literally) a jaw crusher on Saturday. Suspect it walked off after being improperly fitted - pinch bolts not tight etc. Wore the bore 0.060" oversize. Had a bit of a head scratch decided to line bore it and fit a .220 thick straight sleeve - the only shop with a lathe big enough to swing it wasn't answering the phone. Cast iron so didn't want to build up bore with weld. Worked out good. Could've made the bore a bit looser or used never sieze instead of retaining compound because it took a few hours to get it pulled all the way onto the shaft ! Got them back up and running Monday night
"Free surface effect" might have played a part... once he started to lose it... A green card holding teenager with no CDL working for a local farmer may have been speeding ? It's hard to find good help these days !!! (CDL not required on farm equipment.) It was a cold day outside and he spent 45 minutes submerged in liquid fertilizer trapped under the critically compromised cab space. I thought the medical types were a bit sadistic decontaminating the patient with several "gallon jugs" of cold water while he was possibly hypothermic before transporting him. In our defense, regarding decon, we didn't know the type of dangers with the fertilizer, so we erred on the side of caution. He remained in hospital 30 days after his accident with several broken bones. I heard him bragging to the farmer's daughter about going 80 MPH on a gravel road. She was impressed with him. The tool in the foreground "Jaws of life" is made by Hurst shifters and Holley.
Very sad results, cannot hit Like button.
PACCAR should figure out how to install highspeed ROPS maybe using advanced steels - boron pipe on trucks.
Nice thought but are always those that can mangle a anvil with a powder puff. Will not stop those intent of self destruction from overriding sensibility.
around here it's cdl and hasmat.
Fuel and other Hazmat haulers here are getting desperate as to hiring drivers. Not many willing to go the extra cash and effort to gain the endorsements. I am not renewing my own as of this next renewal just keeping Class A, NO Tank or Hazmat, too old.
Brake job/ Hitch job
Gotta LOVE Pans, EVERYTHING Huge Heavy Awkward, finger and clothes grabbing fun, In the Sun!!!
Conventional cranes are far worse. You have to work bent over and a crane boom doesn't fit anywhere. Everything is done by strong back. Mine is no longer that strong.
I’ll agree with that. I got pretty creative inside those things with pullys and come alongs
Did not ever care for lattice boom work, always a PITA for Cribbing, benches, trying to get load off pins then Sledge work on larger beasts to get pivot pins moving. Not much better on squirt booms when see that dribble of hydraulic dripping out of inside of mast knowing what comes next, another crane, on BOTH or Either.
The worst is pulling friction spiders, brake bands, drums and horizontal shafts. Reeving in the boom control drum is about the worst of changing line. Changing flat pad tracks was harder than any excavator chains and adjusting them is the pits.
Been right there too!!
Bearings frozen on shafts, brake bands fell apart, finding the lowest drum had shaft seals out and working in that grease quagmire as no access to a steam genny. And most times in a rock quarry buried in lime dust. Memories no one should have to remember and few today can match.
Just need to finish this last job before we do the undercarriage
1st pic is the rig we use to prelube engines. Rest are shots of it finished up .
finito
D41 Komatsu trans. back together
Stretching a little fence with a 220 komatsu and a case 1845
Is that the same 140H from before.? Did you update the transmission control valve.? If so how did the pressures turn out.?
Duckey have you made a identification yet ? Gibbs all I can say at this time is they definitely ground their teeth
Hello Nige , yes just late getting pics posted. Pressures turned out great had to shim two times to get the sweet spot but it all went well thanks for the advice and knowledge
Cat Front drum gets new bearings and seals
120 Komatsu ,County machine had a engine fire that the engine wiring engine harness and part of trans harness got toasted along with sensors . Other bits county had already replaced to make sure it was still ok mechanically. Last pic is wiring cart and dumped out old wiring harnesses that work great for keeping the color codes the same.
Gotta love fire damage Makes life almost scary easy rebuilding smoked electrical.
Grove 865 had to pull the boom and unshuck the main section for some work on the back end of the first section in the middle of it the 670 P&H decided to take a dump and quit swinging pulled a 108 Linkbelt out to handle that end while the old MC30H Lorain was on the other end.
At least have those lattice buggers to do the Really hard work!!
Rebuilt a few 118 108 98 78 Linkbelt fairleads
This ones gotta learn to split for a slipping clutch .
Thanks alot Ryan Ryan lady in your office gave me the # of someone in your shop but the connection was bad, the # was I have taken the controller box out of this 670 after i got a reman swing alternator on the machine and it is now putting out current but still no swing. I found some of the one-way resisters bad and replaced them, but I had a bad connection under the bottom board and had to take the top 2 boards up, there are several fiber spacers between all 3 boards but there are 2 metal spacers 1 between the top 2 boards and 1 between the 2nd and 3rd boards, when I lifted the 2 top boards off the 3rd, I didn't see what position this one came from. The 2 metal spacers have to conduct voltage between the plates. Would you or one of your mechanics happen to know? Appreciate the help either way. I looked at the parts one on the shelf and didn’t see any metal spacers. The crawler ones might be different I didnt know it had any until I started putting it bac together and felt the differences in weight. The spacer with the white dot is between the 1st and 2nd plate. Pointing to the location where it goes. This one with the white dot goes between the 2nd and 3rd plates, I think where I'm pointing in the last pic. When I looked in the parts book and seen it takes 2 I had to get the knife out and poke um to find the one still in place between the top 2 plates. Service manual doesn't show and called Terex direct and they can't tell from their files.
WWW.HATCHETTCRANES.COM HATCHEQUIP , Jul 28, 2022 Report Reply ryanmueller Well-Known Member Joined: Aug 6, 2017 Messages: 230 Location: oregon Looked a little harder and found them. This is looking from the top down. The one on the left is on the top and the one on the right is on the bottom. Our truck mechanic / lowboy driver said he talked to you the other day ryanmueller , Jul 28, 2022 Report Reply HATCHEQUIP Senior Member Joined: Oct 19, 2011 Messages: 1,064 Location: VILLANOW GEORGIA Can't tell you how much I appreciate this Ryan if we can ever help yall out with anything give us a shout. WWW.HATCHETTCRANES.COM
Thanks to ROAMER_AUS, F[URL=' [/URL]and U ffex on the 210 Volvo
Kubota V3600 in a sweeper getting a new head as this ones cracked.
Coming back up
Remember this.
Got it back together and decided to tighten up the blade and linkages with some new pins and bearings and bushings
She learned , now if I could just get the correct parts breakdown. they keep telling me that this is the clutch. . I have now sent pics of these parts maybe that will get it settled
Does anyone recognize this device I wouldnt except for the fact that we pulled it off and installed a new one in its place and now customer wants us to rebuild it and swap it out for one of his other units
Side mount for a mower, tree trimmer, or ?
Looks like a side mounted brush cutter that the county uses to trim the roadside trees.
Would seem to me that dozer isn't worth all the work you put into it.
Its the arm on the side of garbage trucks that grab the can and dump it.
The finger "thingy" out at the end that actually grabs the can we took off and put on the new one
4000 Manitowoc had to pull the main hoist linings out because the holes where the linings bolt together were cross threaded, stripped or both. Had machine shop oversize holes and drill plates. while it was out had new linings installed. Ya know theirs a special place in hell for the sadistic SOB that decided how big the opening was going to be for servicing these frictions
Found the air leak Dont believe its been drained or cleaned or checked or **** been done to it in years, about a 1/3 full
Brake job on a Taylor , new linings, seals, chambers, adjusters and bushings. Back up alarm with warning light.
Where have you been?
4300-2 Gradall swing gear box Customer called and said he had hydraulic problem and it wouldn't swing and was sending it to us to check out. Called him back and told him that something was wrong in the gear box and the hyd. motor was turning it but was making grinding noises in the box and that something had to be broke or stripped. Thats when he told me that makes sense because the crew had hooked a pickup to it to get it out of traffic and boom back in cradle... Ordered a new box as this ones scrap.
Grove RT865B Top wear shoe broke off and messed up hyd. lines and fittings, when I got to job site and looked up into the boom it was hanging by the grease line gouging the hoses and fittings as it was extending and retracting..
LOL
A good customer recommended us to one of his customers & so on & on . Any way a kubota SVL95-2S shows up on a rollback cranks but no start , hook it up and set it off with a crane . Story goes that a mechanic under a tree has told them that the pump is bad and has put metal thru complete fuel system . Machine had just shut down on job site . Machine was partially disassembled common rail , fuel lines and hoses , injectors unplugged , wiring , ac , informed customer that would have to reassemble a lot of this to start checking it out . Did this and have found that not getting fuel out of HP pump , getting it to it but not out of it . Pulled codes 026 027 communication codes current and 9115 about 20 hrs before shut down off dash , erased codes and they havent came back , wandering if 26 & 27 might have been thrown when it was being diagnosed . I dont have Kubota Diagmaster and we hadnt been planning on purchasing it as only work on botas rarely , but does this also work on Takeuchi ? We do get them in from time to time anywho customer called today and was asking about machine , told him where we were at and what we had found so far . Side note have read that if you do replace pump it has to be timed and programed to machine or vise a versa . Told customer it might have to go to dealer as I dont have the tooling for it and then he asked if i could get it as kubota want touch it as it has had some other work done in the distant past . Any ideas or thoughts on machine things to check and so on would be great and where to get the tooling and what would be the best , as it seems the best way for troubleshooting this
Kubota diamaster works on both . Randy I can send you the engine manuals . What engine you got in it ? We are now a Kubota engine dealer at work. So I will have access back to Kubota .
Kubota V3800-T S/N 2GJ1082 Code 1J586-00000 Is Kubota diamaster something that Kubota sells By the way hope your not around that bridge traffic , looks from news like it got a little toasty Thanks Cap
On the Kubota, pulled small cover on front cover and found that the pump gear had lost a tooth or two and the aluminum brackets that hold the small gear that drive the pump were busted and badly worn. Pump did turn, so ordered both gears and brackets and installed after getting everything in time. Engine cranked and died, checked fuel was still getting to pump and not getting any out but dribbles. Ordered pump retimed and installed and cranked up. Informed customer that we had it running but had not hooked up to it with any software and he is going to take and try it out.
That is some good news .
Brake job
Center pins and bearings
Elecrical it would crank but no hydraulic functions. Bad wire from safety bar. Setting on a trailer that has no floor. Would have set it off but its raining.
Farm truck took dump lost all power to the shifter
I think this was 62 or 3, Im the short one
25/35 GROVE 25 Tons pick and carry on tires 35 Tons pick on outriggers Rebuilt all hydraulic cylinders. While boom was disassembled slides were replaced as needed and all parts blasted, primed and painted. Replaced all hydraulic hoses. All of them. Rebuilt swing gear box. Machine was blasted, primed and painted while disassembled. All new tinted glass and rubbers. All new gauges.
Dont know how many more of these projects I got in me
That Grove carry deck looks good. We repainted a truck crane this summer. It always takes twice as long as I think it should. There's not many of those grove's around. I think I've seen one sell. I bet its super handy as a yard crane. I'd love to have one just for swapping counterweights. We have a little 15 ton broderson, its nice in the building, but doesn't have enough lead for swapping weights.
3208, 555 or 6-53 in the carry deck?
Cable Hoe!! Nice looking Grove
8V71 fires off before you get your finger off the button and dry as a pancake fart
That Grove carry deck looks good. We repainted a truck crane this summer. It always takes twice as long as I think it should. You and me both. Thanks fellows
Weird. You seem much taller from your posts
Would that be syrupy or buttery dry!!
Dogonet D now you got me thinkin about pancakes and I likum with nothin but lots of butter and a side of bacon. Yep Mike I had a growth spurt after that.
I have screwed the pooch, got to thinking about what I said that engine was a 8V71 so went out and brushed the snow from the latches and slid the hood back to check myself and its 6V53 dont know why I was thinking 8V71 probably because cat and cummins had to use 8s. Should have remembered because this is the crane I fell off of 2 or 3 years ago when I was inspecting it and before I cranked it pulled valve covers to check racks and freed up 2 injectors that were sticking.
Just wondering how old is that grove I ran one just like it at work years ago
74 Year. They didnt build many and theirs few left, this makes our 5th one in say 15 or 20 years and we try to keep a eye out for them.
I always thought it was the same one in your pictures. So you're the guys snatching them all up when they come for sale. Leave one for us poor people sometime will ya. I was surprised when you said 8v71, because I didn't think grove ever put those in any of their stuff. The 6v53 makes a lot more sense, they were pretty common in grove equipment.
The 6V-53 is a real screamer. I knew a guy that had them in 6 P&H excavators. Beyond deafening and no sound insulation! Not surprisingly he wore a hearing aid. Back in the day nobody thought about hearing protection. Should have been a warning in the manual and in the cab.
Worked on many DD Two strokers, and do have hearing aids. 53s were really bad.
Was told that 51 series was the loudest but ive never got to see or hear one, one thing about them you wouldnt have to worry about valves
53s early on had Two lobe Straight Cut blowers, 71 series Early were Straight later were Twist formed. Straight made a Pulse that caused the Screaming.
53s were good but i liked 71s even better and they were dry sleeve
53s and 92s Wet Sleeves, Somewhat.
Hatch how have you been? How are you with a BE 22B? I just acquired one with a cat and may need a few pointers when weather breaks and time permits. Got pony going last fall and went to throw in clutch to start big engine and threw both belts off the pony. Has been sitting like that for last few months and have new belts already just waiting for descent weather and kids winter sports to conclude.
You might want to bar the main engine over a few times to make sure thats not what caused those belts to come off. That and make sure the master clutch on main engine is disengaged first.
Something else dont know how familiar you are with the machine but you did have the compression release lever on the main engine pulled.
I am somewhat familiar with the engine. Same as what is in a 9U D6...it's the rest of the machine that I am not too sure on. The belts were just rotten. The pony has electric start and had to tighten the heck out of that belt because it was like a rubber band and just kept stretching and when it jumped off it took the water pump belt with it which wasn't in much better shape. The machine has been sitting in the same spot since 94. The old man who owns it has all of the original paperwork and manuals with it. He is not able to operate it anymore and I think he just wants to see the thing back to working order again and for someone to use it. The only payment he wants for it is for me to get it going and then dredge about an 1/8 acre pond behind his house and I can have it. What still amazes me about this thing is that last fall I pulled the carb off the pony and rebuilt it. When I took it apart I broke the idle jet and Cat still has that little brass tube at Morton. If I remember right it was around $20. According to the serial number it is a 1949 model and Cat still has parts. Of all the stuff I work on i have yet to come across another manufacturer that keeps up with equipment that age. I know as soon as the weather breaks all hell is going to break lose between the dirt world and farming but I plan to get back to it soon. Will probably start a topic on the adventures but I am horrible about stopping to take pictures.
10/4 on the belts and the pics
Cat 12M
Cat 12H
They couldnt get the pins out of the cylinders so they sent the whole truck
Intake manifold on a volvo roller behind that hose is a hole big enough to stick to stick your finger in, low rpms it sucks high rpms it blows turbo boost Mike rebuilt the pump and injectors for us, now the customers employees can pull a hill while vibrating
Another circle came in Cat 12h. Someone else had done this one before they didnt build up and grind off the weld.
I get bored real fast with build work.
If I could only run CNC equipment with my foot….
Your wife said you couldn’t find your a** with both hands, much less run a cnc! kidding. I’m just kidding. Relax.
Caught me without a coffee cup in hand.
Child labor.
Just like my father did me. Good job DAD!!
Brought my 14yr old with me this evening to do 1000hr services on a T650 and an S650. Bet way to teach them is to get them out there
I have my 5 year old grand daughter picking up dog poop with a paper towel. She also picks up after herself. She doesn't even blink an eye to any chore so far. She also feeds my dogs when she is here. Seems she loves to "help"!!
Whoops. Just stuff
I am regretting not going in to crane biz. I helped set one up in the past and guy here has now filled it and does it very well.
A while back I had a company owner call and see if I fill in. They were gone or something and it was setting engine in a drilling rig. They had lifted it out so I knew it would do it. There was some wait so I was a fussy butt about setting the truck up and had time to nitpick and had radius set up and tested off side of the end so,, when I got it up and in only maneuver was load down,, was heavy and didn't really want to boom down to set it. Anyway. Guy comes out and says , wow, different operator and way smoother going in than it came out.
I know exactly about being bad at the job. This is second nature to me, I ain't no genius but been lifting since I was a sprout. My eldest son is a natural and I outright train,, I didn't have that so much when I was a kid. We did but were limited in instruction and survived. I stop right in the middle and splain even at expense of getting er done for few minutes.
Tank repair
Wanted to put this out there for whole or parts neighbors machine burnt down and I want the thumb off it Kobelco ED160BR-7 s/n LH04006095 has like 920 hours we will keep the thumb and cylinder, quick disconnect and bucket go with machine Boom cylinder chrome looks good but they probably need to be resealed . Basically take the boom and cylinders loose from machine, undo the swing bearing scrap the upper except for some Sheetmetal and cab More pics available
Any idea what caused the fire?
Are those factory bent track pads?
my first thought too. They are pretty uniform
Maybe to make turning easier.
I don't think they are bent. Kobelco uses track pads with tapered grousers on the ED machines.
Tracks come that way to help steering with that blade on the front they figure your going to be dozing some.
Neighbor said it started around the exhaust
First thing I put in everything that moves under fuel, a fire extinguisher. Funny story, sometime in the 80’s I was driving down the highway and noticed a Plymouth Duster or whatever those newer uni-body POS was smoking real bad and pulled over in front of me. Me, wanting to be a hero, pulled in behind him to help. As soon as he stopped, black smoke started billowing out from under the hood. I ran up and helped him out of the car and got him back to my truck. I grabbed a fire extinguisher from the back of my truck and pulled it out and popped the pin and started for the car. This guy grabs me around the waist and starts screaming at me to leave it. I broke free and ran up and popped the hood and started spraying. The whole time he’s screaming at me and crying and all sorts of crap. I got the fire out pretty quick and pretty soon a fire truck pulls up, then cops and the whole show. Guy is still crying and mumbling and totally nuts. The fire crew gets in there and I’m getting ready to get going and one of the guys comes back, holding a piece of hose, about a foot long. Evidently, the guy was trying to do an insurance job and had cut the fuel hose. Fireman says they think it happens all the time but by the time they get there, car is burned up. Thats why the guy was pissed. Oh well.
It was in his back yard he went in to eat and someone yelled, dumped 5 extinguishers on it but it would flare back up he said. I can remember years ago coming around a gravel curve up in eastern Kentucky and finding a new Mack just starting to burn jumped out with extinguisher and the old boy looked at me and said if that thing hasn't got gasoline in it, put it back up.
Once used hydraulic oil gets up to flash point, it’s gone.
A hydraulic leak is what killed the Captain 180yd. stripping shovel. Mist sprayed on the slip rings for the electrical which then started on fire. It was deemed too expensive to fix with repair estimates at over $1mil.!
I had a Duster. Can't really blame the guy.
That's only because yours didn't have a 340 Six Pack.
Actually, it's end of life engine was a 440.
Oh My, goodness sakes, holy moly, rickus a rackus, stage left exit right even.