Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trying to identify an older CAT engine with no serial number?

MUGLY ยท 2013-10-01 18:03

Working on a completely unidentified mine loader. Trying to do some research on it and I cannot for the life of me find a single number on it. It is a 4 cylinder, non turbo, assuming to be a CAT engine. I have the number: 2B9Z08 as a casting number in the block and 2P940 -12- NWP is stamped into the block. From my research online, I saw 2P940 to be mentioned as a casting number D-330 engine from a repower store. Can the stamped number in this block be considered a casting number, or is it only the number cast into the block? Not sure if this was the right forum for this post, so I'll understand if it is moved. Thanks everyone!

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2013-10-01 18:06

    Can you post a photo of the machine/engine..? Someone here will recognize it. :witpic

  2. #2MUGLY2013-10-01 18:19

    Good point, here they are.

  3. #3MUGLY2013-10-01 18:43

    number on the front cover is 6n8055. Thinking it may be a D330 or maybe a older 3204?

  4. #4grandpa2013-10-01 18:53

    Looks like a 3304 to me

  5. #5grandpa2013-10-01 19:03

    That part no. doesn't match to a 3304 or a D330c....????

  6. #6Nige2013-10-01 19:44

    I agree, looks very like a 3304. The 6N-8055 services to 6I-0923 and quite a few of the uses for that Part Number are on machines with 3304 engines in them.

  7. #7kshansen2013-10-01 19:47

    Looks like a 3306 with a couple cylinders missing to me , so I agree with it being a 3304.

  8. #8d9gdon2013-10-01 21:30

    Yes, a 3304 for sure.

  9. #9MUGLY2013-10-01 21:37

    Thank you for the replies. As I've stated before, I'm rather new to all this and I am just doing the best I can to learn everyday. My research online pointed me to a D330C but gave me zero info beyond that. Is a 3304 a newer (yet still old) version of the D 330? I'm familiarizing myself with the years/generations of CAT engines.

  10. #10grandpa2013-10-01 22:14

    Yes Mugly, the D series engines are the older one's...... and far as learn everyday,,, if your not learning your either dumb or dead.

  11. #11Bluox2013-10-02 19:59

    MUGLY, Look between the head and the transmission oil cooler,the engine # tag should be there. Bob

  12. #12MUGLY2013-10-03 19:31

    Did not see any evidence of a tag. Can anyone tell me the obvious differences between a d330 and 3304?

  13. #13D6 Merv2013-10-12 16:00

    Definetly 3304. Has the square water pump. D330c has round water pump and usually, but not always, the canister oil filters. Very late D330c and 3304 are spin on. Water pump is easiest way to tell. Also D330c has the compact scroll fuel pump. Early 3304 also has this; but later 3304 all have the 'square' sleeve metering fuel pump. [which yours has] D330c /D333c use the machine there fitted to serial number. 3304/6 use there own separate serial number.