Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

pictures of double frame rust. should I buy the truck or not

Jim Dandy ยท 2015-09-28 18:44

Take a look at the picture of the frame rust on an 05 Mack. I did not buy the truck based on the rust. Do you guys think I overreacted. The rest of the truck was nice although I noticed some replacement of parts that I have never replaced on my 99 Mack. Thanks for your time.

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2015-09-28 19:30

    You call that rust, Southern Boy?:lmao Of course it's not fixable for all practical purposes, it comes down to what you can live with, and how long you want to try to put off the inevitable.

  2. #2td25c2015-09-28 20:18

    If that's the worst spot on the frame I would not get to excited about it . Would not let it become a deal breaker if I liked the truck . Smack the top rail with a sledge hammer & blow out the rust flakes with air then fill a garden sprayer with used engine oil and spray it between the rails time to time .

  3. #3Jonas3022015-09-28 23:42

    Not to bad on the rust if the price was right that has a quite a few years left in it Curious what kind of parts you noticed

  4. #4kshansen2015-09-29 09:05

    Reminds me of a post on a different group for automobile mechanics. A guy from one of the Southern states who had been a mechanic for many years was asking a question about replacing a brake line on a car. He was wondering if you can buy them preformed or if you have to make your own up. Seems he had never had a brake line rust out and was unsure how to approach the job! Us 'Rust Belt' guys were nice and talked him through it! There is a guy near me who has a few Macks and from what I hear he actually has gone to the extreme of dismantling his frames to clean and repaint them, more than once. To say he is a bit on the anal side would be a major understatement. Then again his first truck was one he built after buying the very last B model cab Mack made. He assembled it from parts his dad had in his personal junk yard!

  5. #5ohiofleet2015-09-29 20:01

    hell that aint no rust I have seen it push the frame apart I would have bought it if that's the only problem