These are all pictures of jobs that I have completed within the last year except one or two. Hope you enjoy.
second set
more
keep on going
Mmmm a sexy Daewoosian. How do you like that 220LC 5? I ran a 130 LC 5 and they are a weapon.
Looks good! Keep'em coming.
Its a good reliable machine. best part is you can go all day on a half tank of fuel and still have some remaing at the end of the day. The one in the pictures in the fourth daewoo we have bought over the years. Guess the next one will be a doosan
Good stuff Dirtman. Was that a golf course you were working on?
We do some pond work for golf courses but all these pictures were job for private individuals. As you can tell we build alot of ponds! I've only had a camera for about a year, If I could only have pictures of some of the awsome jobs I have been on throughout the years. O well I'll start now...
Yeah you can definately say their awesome on fuel. And in horsepower mode or mode 3... they are really violent. The 130 Scott had used a digging bucket from a 320 cat, and a ditching bucket off a 220 daewoo modified to fit the JRB pin grabber coupler we had. The machine didn't like the size of the buckets, but it sure muscled them through the ground pretty easily. The only complaint I had about them was greasing them. I always had to pop the bucket off sit it under where the boom/stick pin are and stand on it to grease them because you couldnt get boom/joint fittings and top bucket cylinder and stick cylinder fitting from ground level.
Nice pics dirtman! Notice your burning, we have had a problem burning, due to the ban! Doesn't help we're doing a road wideing. So no where to hide our brush. Have you all been affected by it? :stirthepot:usa
yeah it's been a real pain for us. so many clearing jobs and then you can't burn the stuff. then the price for doing the job goes up to the point where the owner does not want to do the job then:Banghead Atleast we had a month where the ban was lifted and burning could start again. I think the ban was stated again this thursday. some fools last weekend set half the state on fire when they decided to burn on a day when the winds were 40mph some people just have to ruin it for the rest of us...
Yeah its raining here now, so maybe they will lift it again? I guess that means no work for me tomorrow. I hate the rain because of the lack of work, but we need it due to the drought! There was a forest fire close to my house last week, but it was due to a downed power line.
Nice pics!!! Do you have alot of problems with building the bond in your state? Here there is so much red tape......especially if you're anywhere near any natural water. (i.e. river, stream, lake, pond, etc)
hymmmm... It's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. We build many many ponds a year and have never gotten a permit. One fellow went about it the right way a went through the permit process to build a pond. It took him 2 yrs to get the ok Usually if you are building a pond where there is no perminent water flow there are no questions asked. The main thing we have to do is keep the highest part of the dam under 15' anything over has to be approved by the state. you can did the pond 40' deep but the dam can't be over 15 ' tall. We've only been shut down once in many years. Had a helicopter taking some very nice arial photos of the jobsite and the wetlands that we were in. the next day the nice white state truck came out a gave use a little pink sheet that said stop work!! Homeowner gave someone a nice check a we were back to work in a week ointhead
few more digging up stumps in a yard so that it can be filled and leveled. Before Driving the machine down the road to the loading site loading site. about 25 quad axle load will be hauled to the yard. Some very nice looking red clay! After
After Talked the owner of the loading site into building a pond This morning Before. After all cleared I had to move it all with the skid steer
Just started the first cut, 3000 more yards to go... 5:00 somewhere
Great pics Dirtman! Looks like you get to do some interesting projects, nice work!
It also looks like you take on some pretty large projects also. Do you usually bid them out or do it by the hour?
Awesome pics! Your job looks like fun. Nice, quite, and peaceful.
Most of our work is done by the hour. Seems that once everyone sees what can be done I a short amount of time they awlays find more things to do, so we just do it by the our. I like doing these smaller jobs, 2-3 weeks at the max then move onto another project. This way you don't get bored (too often ).
Nice pics and work. Just shows yet another difference in location though. Around here home owners try to eliminate all ponds and standing water on their property. It brings on the mosquitoes and other unwanted pests. When I bought my house I must have hauled for a month to fill all the little ponds in.
I've only filled in one pond in my life, but have dug/ wroked on a couple hundred. I probably worked on 40 ponds last year.
great pics:thumbsup you do nice work, in some great locations, from the size of the house in the one pic, your clientel must be wealthy people? especially if they own property like in your pics. probably picky people to work for but you know their checks are good.
"If ya wanna make money you gotta work for people that have money" yeah are in the wealthy section of NC. Development sign said " quality homes starting at the low 750's to the 1.3 million" Actually the people we are working for are not picky, just want the job done as if it was my own. It is nice to get handed a check at the end of the job. sometimes you get a little cash folding money
pond construction day 2
few more for today
Great pics, as always. You have a helper or do you run the hoe and jump on the Tak as needed?
That volvo excavator is nice. It looks like your doing a good job. I always like pictures.
oh yeah, I need help when there's this much dirt to be moved. Plus 8 hrs of bouncing in the skid steer makes for a long day. Feels like I'm moving a mountian with a teaspoon. He can move about 600-700 yards a day with the skidsteer in 7-8 hrs.
Do you put core trenches in if a dam has to be constructed? Also if you do, how do you tell if the clay material is suitable to hold back the water and not saturate and leak through?
Right on, so you're running the hoe and not in the Tak blowing your back out :drinkup The only "skid steer" I could ever run more than 8 hours a day was the Cat 277B we had, the undercarriage gave it such a smooth ride. One day I punched out 18 hours in that machine during a clearing job and I wasn't feeling too bad by the end of it.
Yes a core will be dug for the dam ( we will probably put the dam in on friday so stay tuned for pics) The best way to test the clay is to get a handfull of the dirt that has moisture in it. then roll the dirt around in your hand to make a dirtball. If the dirt stays packed in your hand then it's good enough for us. CascadeScaper I'll run the volvo anyday over the tak:drinkup
day 3 rained and site was flooded. Had to pump water out to finish digging the pond. final cut digging the core filling the core/ building dam out of compactable clay
Here is a project that I did a couple years ago. Just started off as building a pond in the front yard. Then it progress to two years of off and on work Pond I built Then I cleared 3 acres of land in the back yard for horse pasture. hauled off every bit of it, then build a 200' 70' horse arena. This was the first Time I had ever heard of a horse arena let alone thinking about building one. But with the blue prints drawn on a sheet of notebook paper I was ready Took just over a month to build it. Had to cut 4' from the high side and add over 6' to the low. Once the base was built we covered it in the black fabric then hauled in over 500 tons of screenings in to make a solid base. then surrounded the thing in over 80 rail road ties, Had a tractor trailor bring 44,000 lbs of shreaded rubber from over 600 miles away to cover the top and mix with the sand. rubber was $0.14 a pound Check out that crown going down the center. Not bad for a 18 year old who has never ran a motor grader until then huh. I have to brag about this one then I built 2 40' X40' areas on each side of the barn
That is a nice looking pond.
Who is 18, YOU?
I was when I did that job. That was almost 2 yrs ago when I built that arena.
Finished pond, built dock, and pond is full. Not bad in a week and a half.
buring a trash pile Front yard graded
Bury it so deep, God can't find, that's how I've always done it. That Takeuchi always looks sexy in the mud.
Are you guys keeping busy ? and what do you charge those machines out per hour if you dont mind me asking
We slowed a little last month, but as of today we have enough worked lined up to stay busy until summer. Excavator $135 hr, skid steer $90.00 hr
My new project... 16 acres of figgin stumps All will need to be removed eventually, but due to cost only half will be done now. My skid steer operator and I were worn out after 10 hrs of bouncing around on stumps. I had to atleast dig up 200 today ( all 8-12" in diameter) another 5000 to go:Banghead But it's work Should start some nice fires on monday, hopefully I want smoke the town out, a whooping 200 people. Man were in the sticks... only one place to eat.
End of day 1, Start back in the morning. This 120 mile round trip makes for some long days.
120 miles round trip, set up camp, you got tons of fire wood for some good old fashioned camp fire ghost stories and songs!
Why do the stumps have to be removed? If you are out in the sticks I am surprised the people have money to be spending it having stumps removed. It looks nice and private out their where you are at though.
Does the skid steer just move them around once they are dug up? The excavator has got to be the one to dig them out.
All the stumps must be removed so that the land can become more cow pasture. Yes the skid steer is used to move all the stumps and brush to the burn site once I dig them up with the hoe. Day2 Cleared about a mile of fence line. Piled more stumps and brush up, gonna have ourselfs a little camp fire on monday:drinkup the cows love to lick the tracks for some reason... Grease must taste good
few more
That's gonna make a good fire.
Got any vids of it?
I'll get some of the fire tomorrow. Here are a few previous jobs Digging up a big stump http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr5rjgJ8tVk Burning brush http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPLaJzxNDDM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JTi110WPwk Here's a real good burning fire! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxxPBEyR21M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjxAYR1oiUo
Wow, Chris, you do the coolest stuff with your machine and on your jobs. Keep those awesome pics and videos coming, man.
Time for some burning The locals say I'm smoking out the county... o well Guess I doing something then!
my biggest pile
Burn baby, burn!!!!
Do you have to get a burning permit to have all those burnings? I know around where I live a burn permit is almost not possible to get.
It's real easy to get one. Only takes 5 minutes at the fire dept. Just fill out this little paper that tells you some safety crap, sign yer name and commit to smoking out the little town. Gotta love the small town rules! I don't think we got one for this job, were working for the captain of the sheriffs department in the area so nobody comes asking any questions.
Looks like you do allot of business for some wealthy people. I would love to get some jobs like those. They look like fun.
just curious is most of your business referals, word of mouth etc or do you advertise and what type of advertising works best for you . Do you find you are slowing down like alot of people or is business good in your area Keep the pictures coming Sean
It's even easier than that around here. You call the Forestry Office, they give you a permit number and your done. The longest part is waiting for them to pick up the phone.
For a permit in michigan all you do is call and leave a message and youre good to go.
You have to go the ranger station here.
Dang, you beat me.
actually were going wide open, already have about 4-5 more good jobs lined up to do after this one and the phone is still ringing. I've been working 10-12 hrs a day 6 days a week. We do advertise in the phone book, but seem like most of our work is from referals, we make sure that the people are happy before we leave the job. It really pays off when they refer you to someone who has a month of solid work for you to do. We also do alot of work for repeat customers.
Sounds like how we used to be, just a nice small add in the yellow pages, and the sign on the building. Actions speak loud and when you do a good job it shows and people talk. When you live in a huge ag community all the farmers talk and they all know who has done what. I remember when I was younger dad did four different projects(timber clearing, small drive, and 2 building sites) and never loaded the dozer up, just drove from one farm to another. Great pics as always Dirtman. :drinkup Trbo
so true, I walk in the little store and people already know who I am and who I'm working for. I did not even know anyone knew I was back there:beatsme
So do you just have the 2 excavators and the Tak. or do you have more equipment? Which hoe do you like better the Volvo or the Dawoo?
We have 4 excavator's. 2 Daewoo 220's, 1 Volvo EC210, and a Takeuchi TB135 Mini. We also have the tak 150 skid steer and a Kobota tractor w/ loader used for fine grading things. I guess I'm just around those 3 machines the most I going to have to say the volvo
taking a break from stumpland to do some little jobs. Here is a job we did last year. hauled over 300 quad axle loads of mud out of this pond and dumped in a feild. Finally dry and time to spread. Fixing a washout area.
few pics of the pond we did
nice job! :thumbsup
I bet you had some fun on that little dozer!!!!!!
i did not read the whole thread but I gather you do alot of pond dams ect. ?? Very nice job!! I was on another forum and saw someone looking someone who builds dams/ponds in NC i could recommend your company to them or find out what part of NC their in.
Thanks Send me a PM. We are Located in Raleigh NC.
New project, 4 acres of stumps that need to be removed... who could we get
Few more pics to keep ya'll entertained. Ready to burn This is how you do a pit burn. First dig the hole where nothing will ever be built. Get you a bail of hay and pour about a gallon of diesel on it so it soaks through, then light. This will act as a starter log. Next slowly put about 5 or 6 grapple full of dry limbs and small sticks to get some hot coals Finally heap it up and kick back and take a nap while it burns down and continue the process.
last pics for today
That's an excellent idea for starting fires, just like a camp fire, but BIG! I always have dug the hole, cram a whack load of wood in to it, pour gas/diesel around the perimeter while giggling like a pyromaniac, then light a flare and watch the pile jump. Your method seems safer, I dunno why.
Hey Chris, the burning ban in North Carolina is crazy isn't it! One week there is a ban and the next it is lifted. I wish they would make there minds up!:Banghead:dizzy
Chris, awesome series of shots about how to start a fire in a pit. really cool man. you do some awesome stuff. keep up the great shots. and you are right, you are a tree huggers nightmare. lol
tell me about it. Oneday I can burn the next day I can't, suck when you have a nice hot fire going that will burn wet stumps with no problems then they inforce the ban again:Banghead As wet as it is here there should be problems with fire spreading Not much progress today. It's been raining alot this week and all the stump holes are turning in to sink holes. With the grapple down you just float across until about mid-track lenght then wham, there she goes. Probably could have got it out using the grapple and pushing back but there's no need to strain the machine when you can easily dig it out with the excavator. I almost lost a boot getting out of the machine
Even stuck up to the cab, that Takeuchi looks sexy.
sexy???? please explain
Using an industrial fan blowing through a steel pipe at the centre of the fire speeds the burn and reduces smoke. Remember to construct an earth berm to protect the fan from the heat, ie bury the pipe in earth!!........C ya......Ray
Thats what i was thinking. The way it used to be done around here. They would take a forage blower, for blowing silage into a silo. Runs off a tractor pto, run your silage tube into the pit. Its the same idea as the fan.
Yeah, it's been raining in western N.C. alot to! It seems like all we get done is eroison control work, than acual grading. We are constantly cleaning out silt basins, cleaning behind check dams, and fixing temporay down slope pipes. I like the rain, but it doesn't help the job get done any quicker!
Never tried a bale of hay. Around here, everyone uses tires. Stick a rag inside the tire and soak it with diesel and let her rip.
Dont get a bail of hay, get a bail of Straw......its cheaper and burns better.
In california air quality would have your business if you lit a tire off, even burning construction waste like wood shingles and 2x4 is a no no.
Doing a little bucket replacement, I think it's time, those shanks & teeth are heavy when you have to go pick it up and put it in the truck after it breaks off! This is why you don't buy a cheap bucket, they'll fall apart 2 yrs later. Gotta love working for the family business, access to all the equipment whenever the need arrives, for free doing a little stream work at the house, Placing some stumps on the bankside that is washing out.
cool!
What make is that new bucket?
That is a very weak looking bucket, no way would that ever be on my stuff.
would it have not been cheaper to cut that cutting edge off the bucket, replace it? there had to have been some exteme pull in one spot there to have caused that bucket to snap like that. my dad used to have decals on the dash of all his equipment...they said "there is no piece of equipment you can't tear up if you try hard enough"
No every shank was cracked and bent, the back of the bucket had major cracks along the welds. bucket had been fixed before and it just failed again so there was no need to spend money on patching when we could go buy another one with the money that won't break. We've been digging up 16 acres of pine stump about 12" in diameter so it was putting most of the strain on 1 or 2 teeth when pulling. I broke the middle tooth off on purpose, it was bent down over 12" out of line with the other teeth and really slowed down digging, since the bucket was going to be trashed anyways I just reached over on a stump and broke it off. nedly I'll look tomorrow and see what brand it is, I know we had it custom built to fit the machine and line up with the thumb.
Back to the office... Few stumps yesterday My big project for today, remove this concrete sign and two bushes. and hour later
nice work dirtman!Will you replace your daewoo for another one?
I think so, we just sold the our older daewoo for a new yanmar 55 mini excavator
it's a North American Attachments. Made in NC Well were back to stumpland for another fun-filled day. 50 degrees with a light wind.... good day for a fire:drinkup
Great Thread....... Awesome pics.... Keep it going dirtman!
Still staying busy with no end in sight... that a good thing, more pics to keep you entertained. Not many pics this week, not much free time to go picture taking but here's a few. 4 acre plot of land that was stumped and now getting ready to seed and straw. Here's my grading blade doing it's job Today. 600 Lbs of seed and 240 bales of straw. Also high temp near 90 result.... one tired dirtman
Maybe Dirtman should hook up with Beerman after work.
When we were bushing back in 75 we used a D6 for everything. Boy times have changed! We used to push our stumps and limbs up into long windrows about 300 yards apart and light em up. After they burned down you would go and roll the piles and burn em again. Now a day's you would probably get a ticked from some pencil pusher with all that smoke!
Finally finshed up this stump job for now. cleared about 8 acres, burned everything and moved the ashes. We will return later this year to finish the remaining 12 acres and possible build a 1 acre pond. That is when the owners funds build back up Now we have several small projects to do before we start an interesting pond dredging job the first of next month. I mean Very interesting!!! Moving the ashes stuff is still hot and would start to catch on fire under the machine... had to keep alert and dump some regular dirt down under you to be safe. Short video of moving some ashes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ4319IKsxI
Time to do some much needed clean up. Put the pump in the cow pond and go at it. Rules you clean your own machine... crap can I use the skid steer
As always Dirtman, great pics. Fun looking projects. I can't wait too see the pond dredging. If I ever get a new scanner, or go to mom and dads, I will get the few pics my uncle took of me with the 312 in the bottomless pond. Good luck, and thanks. Trbo :drinkup
All I'm going to say about the pond project is it was up for bids for about 3 months.... we were the only ones who gave a bid
Back to doing what I love, Playin in the mud. No freaken stumps, dust, and burning to worry about. 85 degrees today, had to break out the shorts and flip flops Had to be creative and dig about a 40' x 15' long area and leave a dike so that every scoop would not be a pile of mud. then bust the little dam and fill the hole. Couple videos of busting the dams http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO_3qJulkuE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nawv2QiOWDA
That's a pretty darn good pic of the water coming in after busting the dam.
You the Magic Man?
Thanks, It's a pretty cooling looking sight to watch a hole of that size fill up in less than 30 seconds. I'll try to get a few more on monday when I finish up.
Hey Dirtman, Im also from Raleigh. Awesome pictures you have. Im very impressed with your pond work!
Nice to know someone else from around here is on this site:drinkup You do the same kind of work?
Similar I guess. Been operating equipment for years but just started my own business in late 2005. (what the hell was I thinking?!?!?! ointhead ) I do mostly small clearing jobs. I have an ASV RC100 with a Loftness carbide head and rent the bigger stuff when needed for now.
I know what Burnout means about greasing the stick pin, bucket cylinder and stick cylinder pins on the solar 130. The solar 140 is just the same, i park the machine next to something i can stand on and fold the stick right in so i can get a gun on the grease nipples. Looking at pictures of the new Doosan DX140, it looks like nothings changed.
Your Equipment Am I right in thinking you don't always run the same machine, sometimes the Volvo, sometimes the Daewoo. How do you deceide which machine you're going to use for a job and why don't you run the same machine all the time. I like the look of that Volvo by the way.
Thanks, Your right sometimes I may be on a different machine everyday, It just depends on wha were doing. I've been known to run 3 of the machines in oneday on the same job (volvo, skid steer, and the mini excavator) We try to use the machine that's closest for the next job, sometime our jobs are spread out within 150 miles of one another so it's the cheapest just to move the one closer and let the otherone sit for a few day until we can get back to the job. most of our equipment is paid for so it's not really a problem if a machine sits for a week or two. for the last year or so I've just been working for our company but every now and then I may help some friends for ours if works slows, onday I maybe their laboror, then the next I'll be loading trucks with their excavator. It's never a dull moment here.
Thats some nice work there:usa I always enjoy seeing you pictures:drinkup Someday hopefully I'll get into to somthing like what your doing :usa
Mud, Mud, mud Everywhere! had about 5" of rain over the weekend and it really turned this jobsite into a mudhole. Finally dried enough today to get back at it. Got a lot done and alot of mud on the machines! Started off trying to finish digging the pond and then started laying all the muck back to where it needs to go.
Hard to get anything done when you are spend more time trying not to get stuck so here's what I've done from the red line to the bank got deep in one spot. That's not from swinging into the pile Well my helper had my camera and caught me trying to go where I did not need to go, mud was a little deeper than expected. He thought I was stuck so he pull out the camera and started rolling. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szA00s7C8uM
Great pics and video Chris, Keep it up!
I've been playin on the little stuff this week trying to kill some time and do some little jobs until were ready to start our very interesting pond dredging job that's about 4 hrs away from home. Here I'm doing a little dredging of some sediment in front of a drain flare.
Ok here is the job I've been talking about, looked at this job almost 6 months ago and it was up for bidding for over 3 months... we were the only ones to give a bid. Heres what we have First picture is the head of the pond ( above the bridge) notice all the sediment and how the entire pond is only 6" deep. next picture is the lower section ( below the bridge) As you can see we have very limited access. unload the machine in the street and then straight down the hill you go. this pond is connected to a very big pond on the other side of the road. we were not allowed to drain the lower pond so we were forced to install a temp. dam in front of the pipe and pump the water out of the pond we are working in. see that nice dock on the edge... well there are some very good looking women would like to run the trails and then stop to take a break on the dock and watch us work. This is very distracting for a young fellow, they don't realize your 8' below them and have better than normal view:naughty
You dawg!
some of these new engineered septic systems are retarded They wanted the syetem raised so we had to put in a pump tank to pump the effluent up 3 feet.. o well.. Ill get some additional pictures up tomorrow, we did a complete job clearing and grading about 3 acres on top of a hill at a complete site job we did two years ago. Really opened up the views. It gets old real fast after pushing brush on the dozer for four continuous hours. After about 20 mins of working i had to unhook the backup alarm.. ointhead
A little stream work today. Digging and removing all the sediment and debris that has filled the creek channel Before After Before After Before
After Getting ready to unload the tak back at the shop Just loaded up the skid steer, it's also going back to the shop... What a perfect sky
Great pics Dirtman. How is the Yanmar holding up?.
It's been good so far, I'm up to 53 hrs on it as of today The only thing i don't like is it being a zero turn machine. They are very unstable and tipsy as heck. It's like riding a roller coaster some times, but atleast you don't have to worry about swing into things... I still look everytime before I swing though
I know the feeling. They are not real tipsy they just feel that way. I've been on ZT for so long now that on occaision (about once a year) I get on a traditional tail swing...well...Look out! I hit everything and then some .For us its rare that we do a job where ZTS is not a distinct advantage. But I know what you are saying. You do get used to it. I'd just like to get on the level occaisionally ointhead
Yeah I guess I'll get the hang of it after while. I guess when you have run regular swing excavators your entire life you just remember to look as you have about 3' of tail behide you. Maybe it's just feels tipsy cause it sits higher up than the takeuchi, I still braced myself a couple time the other day though!
Nice words on the boom there.
Whats the reasoning behind the hay bails on your trailer? In both pictures you have hay bails stacked in front of the machine. Dose this have a function or ..?
No I just had to swing by a jobsite After I dropped off the mini excavator and finish seeding and strawing a yard. Notice how there are only 3 remaining when I picked up the skid steer.
We also use hay bales to control erosion in addition to silt fence sometimes.Just drive a couple of stakes through them to anchor them in place.Ron G
we use it to make grass start coming back in faster.
Here's a few more mud pictures Just put the volvo in the lower section daewoo in the uppser section. Some Spoiled rich kids threw some bricks through my windows on the mats digging a drain ditch Here is my new toy! Komatsu track off road dump truck
Please enjoy these few pictures. While filming the inside of the track truck and showing what everything did I managed to drop my camera as I can't mulitask and drive the truck too. Were not going to finish while were up here anyways so I will have a new camera when i return! Here's what we got. I'm on the daewoo and the bossmans on the volvo pushing the mud under the bridge. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWlOWQk1enA few pictures before the camera crapped out Here I am laying the mats down
Nice pictures Chris, what a bummer about dropping the camera :cussing :Banghead Looks like a good job and that tracked dumper is a nice piece of kit. I used a track dumper on a job a few years back Now you see why I have guards to go over my windows, stops the stupid kids smashing them
:thumbdown Ha ha I tell you if had seen it happen well.... we'll leave that alone:guns I just understand things like that, there was plenty of old glass bottles they could have smashed from a trash pile on the powerlines, but NO... They had to throw a god dang brick through my two side windows and send a million little glass jiblets all over the cab. It really suck slicing your finger on one of those glass slivers. Track truck was fun to drive for about an hour!
Yeah I'm with you there, let me catch anyone trying to smash something up :cussing It's the same over here, you can't leave anything without some dumbass kids wanting to come along and smash it up :beatsme Don't be without a camera for too long
rig up a camera in the cab with a live feed.
I can't complain too much it's only the second time it has happened in 11 years. I'm just glad they did not bust them all out. Those two window glasses cost enough I've already got a new camera! More pics on monday
Nice Pics. Just found this thread and have really enjoyed your pics Dirtman. I have worked on many pool and restoration jobs here in the UK, and can really appreciate the work you do and the challenges faced. You have certainly got most angles covered there, with some decent timber mats under you and a tracked dumper to assist. I spent 4 months on a Yanmar C80 tracked dumper during a large pool construction, and the machine saved the job. Nothing else would run on the ground loaded, and it would easily outperform a D5 lpg for traction even loaded!! You run a nice range of machines and all appear well equipped for the job, this must certainly help maintain your workload and reputation. We don,t get to play with thumbs on machines in the UK, but they certainly seem a useful addition. I always opt for a tilting bucket where possible, as the time saved and finish achieved is considerably better than continually repositioning the machine. I drove a Cat 320B for 2 years, and had it sent away on a self drive rental one morning. It,s temporary replacement was a new 210B Volvo. The difference was noticeable in terms of actual Dumptruck loading performance, but the Volvo more than made up for that in fuel economy and ease of control. If i was to buy for myself, the economy of the Volvo would be a big factor. Never used a Daewoo, only rescued one (sorry Solar140!) but hear only good about them. I,m starting a pool clearance in a weeks time with a Cat 312c and tracked dumper, and will try to post a few return pics. Thanks again
Thanks, We... or maybe I should say I try to keep things looking good. I just don't like sitting in or runing a machine that looks like an monkey was in it. Like you said we always try to have the right or get the right equipment for the job, nothings worse than trying to use something that in not fit for the task at hand. Keep tuned... it's going to be a busy summer! Mud, mud and more mud. YEE -YAW:Cowboy
Time to bring all the equipment back home!
Nice tractor pulling those excavators!!
My new mud holes to play in for the next week or so. I have 3 silt ponds that need to be dredged and reconstructed into a wetlands area where water plants will be planted. Well it rained last night and I'm out on the track of the volvo trying to open up the valve and drain the pond down. Pond is drained and I dug a trench and built a berm along the edge hole hold back the slop.
I love your pics...it looks like you get A LOT of pond related work. Very cool. Keep 'em coming!
I think that is what his company does.
We do just about everything, demo, clearing, burning, basements... and yes pond work seems to be more often! Here's a few pictures from today My new task is dredging out 3 silt ponds and reconstructing them into an engineered designed wetland areas. Way too many diagrams/ elevation lines to look at all day, so I just copied the main one and that’s good enough for me! here's the print All the 500 yrds of mud is removed and piled into the side of the hill. Time to start building all those little steps. everything had to be within a 1/10th of an inch.
Thats the only thing keeping me from entering that kind of work, too much schooling I assume to learn grades.
Pay attention in high school and you'll understand fractions. Applying that knowledge to meet strict grade requirements comes mostly from experience in the seat.
The steps are just contour lines representing the grade at any given point.The actual surface of the ground will be smooth.The closer the lines are together the steeper the grade will be.The farther apart they are the shallower the grade will be.Each line appears to be one foot change in elevation which is a common number on a topo map.Ron G
Nice pics. Thats pretty cool how that scatternational morphs into a kenworth in the end.
Gotta save the best for last, owner of the truck just put is 7" stacks on it Pond is finished so I move on to the next one Here's pond # 2 Down in the mud trying to stack the muck on the side so it will drain over the weekend and also dug a drain trench to the pipe.
Chris, I just found your thread and even though it's a Saturday, nice out and I have a very long list of things that I need to do, I couldn't stop reading your posts until I was to the end!!!! Amazing pictures and comentary. Thank you very much for taking the time to share them with everyone. Eddie
Great pictures again Chris, thanks for sharing them :drinkup
How do you attach the grading blade to the bucket??
That piece of I beam, How do you keep it from coming loose all the time
Nice work to by the way... Gotta love diggin ponds... Have you guys had any problems with water getting into your planeteries/ track motors??
Simple, just remove one of the cutter blade bolts, cut a a cuople holes in your I beam, loop a chain through and stick a 3/4" bolt through the ends and tighten her up. Take about 5 minutes to do. The blade can go up or down about 6" to help float things out and can also tilt about 15- 20 degrees to help grade slops. This was way better than a blade that would not move. here are a couple pics.
Thanks!! I've been busy lately, good thing I din't post every picture I take, you'd be bored out of your mind! :drinkup As always, more pictures this week!
When will the fun ever end? DEEP mud pushing with the takeuchi!! Be sure to watch in HIGH QUALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEg5dCfCCqI Swingin mud with the volvo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMMg4G5zguM
Is that at a new housing development Chris? Are you going to leave all the mud there to dry out? Col
Yeah it's a new subdivision, almost finished though. Yes all they mud will remain there so someone else can clean it up when it dries in about a year!
i would hate to clean out the tracks on that every day.... Where's the rookie??
All that wood being burned up. Hal
Started hauling in the 700 yards of topsoil to build the pond up. All finished!!
Here is the print for the second one I just finished This is the first pond I finished last week, all water plants have been planted and it's starting to fill The third and final pond I start next week
are these water run off ponds?
yeah, every stom water drain for the subdivison has to run into one of these ponds for the silt to settle out before it runs into the creek.
Just a few clearing pictures of a job we are doing this week. Around 2.5 -3 acres will be cleared and hauled away. before( this morning) I'm on the daewoo loading the truck and clearing the trees while the truck is gone, skid steer is keeping the pile pushed up and root raking the lot.
once again I've just about worked myself out of a job, but we have plenty more to go do. This was suppose to take 3 full days but I managed to get 85% done in two days. few more pictures from today. Loading the truck Skid steer with the new root rake Couple videos Video's Knocking down the trees http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N21-_d9q81Y skid steer knocking down trees http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pXMeEp2akk
what kinda root rake you all use chris?
The brand name has slipped my mind at the moment. They have a website, it's like the one on skidsteersolutions.com but it was far cheaper. Rake is an 84" and cost less than $1000.00
Similar in the UK As promised Dirtman a few pics of a pond pond clearance here in the UK. We had a little luck with the weather, so a JCB dumper was hired at a considerable saving compared to a Tracked one. Unfortunately i only took the camera after all the slop was removed, but you will see how much we had to get out. The 312 and JCB match up really well, and I used a large tilting bucket to follow all the contours of the hard Clay. We start tomorrow to re-shape and extend the pool, with the assistance of a CAT tracked skidsteer loader. This is a really rare item in the UK as yet and i have high hopes of it's ability. I will keep the camera handy for some better working shots.
Eddie that looks like some good work. I like that dumper how much it hold 5 or 6 yards? (forgot my metric conversion factor bear with me) Nice piece of ewquipment wish i had one here on the farm.
Dumper Capacity Thanks Bear, We have made a start on the re-grading works, and the CAT tracked skid steer is working really well. I hope to post some action shots shortly. As for the JCB Dumper it proved an excellent tool, hardly producing any surface damage combined with quick cycle times. As for capacity it is rated at 14 metric tonnes or 14000kg, some bright spark will now post a figure in 'yards' for us both I'm certain!! In reality the CAT312 with it's 4ft bucket loading from ideal conditions will see it gone in 7 buckets. I'm certain it would be handy around any large farm, but they don't come cheap!!
Hobbling back to work Can't do much hand work or maybe I should say foot work, but I'm ready to move some mud! Get to dig more stumps on another job tomorrow with the daewoo. Here's what I'm doing About 550' of shoreline needs to be dredged to make it more than 12" deep. I dug out all the dirt, and used it to extend the shore and add "character" to the shoreline all done. Check out the smoke in the background from the 40,000 acre wildfire that is in eastern NC, over 4 hrs away! owner was so happy at the finished product that they now want a bid on dredging the entire head section of the pond.... Lots of mud to be moved here!
Another day, another job... Today I started working on a building a new pond for a homeowner. First off, clearing all the trees that are going to be in the 1 acre pond. We are leaving the big oak tree and will dig the pond so that it stick out into the pond, should look kinda cool I think. Before pond area is cleared and piled After A video I took yesterday while working in water inside of the pond http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8g_i1jPx_g
I always love seeing your work, and I hope your toe feels better!
Oh cool, it should look good! Can't wait to see it!
so I guess you are feelin a little better? looks like the job is goin good.
be careful not to damage the roots. I can't stand seeing a home being built and all the trees totaly destroyed and the contractor says their fine........few years later they're bone dry. Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. lol Anyway GREAT work!!!
Thanks, It's hard to tell in the picture but the tree is right next to the creek bank where the pond will go. I plan to extened the bank where the tree is by just adding alittle dirt. When the pond is full the water will be a 12-18" below the ground where the tree is at so it should be able to get plenty of ground water.
Thanks Not really feeling better, it actually hurts more now that it ever has but I'm not going to sit at home and wine about it. I just take my pills every 4-6 hours and it makes the pain go away some, It says I should not drive or operate heavy machinery on the bottle.... I guess the remaining trees don't stand a chance tomorrow!! :drinkup
Nice work as always Take it easy and stay safe Col
chris out of curiosity about how much does it cost to have a pond like that one built?
Time for some more pictures Still clearing for the pond, piling all the brush up and begin to burn it.
Still burning the piles. Dozer arrived for a test drive, works ok but I think we need somthing bigger if were going to buy one.
good to see you're back at work and rippin up trees like you love to do. you're right, those remaining trees don't stand a chance with you on those pain pills tomorrow. let them have it, chris. take it easy man, and stay out of harm's way.
Starting to DIG! After one digging. I set my camera up when I was clearing just to see how it looked, love the sounds of trees cracking, birds singing and the sounds of goats in the background! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZR6RQ4pL4o
killer video. you're just a monster in that cab, trashing up the forest. just move in deeper and deeper and rip out more trees. no wonder the tree huggers hate you. LOL. love to hear the cracking of the big trees falling. looks like you're moving around pretty good, in and out of the hoe, despite the toe accident. I did notice your foot up on the dozer though. take it easy and keep this great stuff coming.
Chris: I loved the one with your commentary about how to take down a big tree with the excavator. Especially the part where you said, put the bucket about 12-15 feet up and push--there it goes. That's great. Would you do one with your commentary wrecking a house some time? That would be killer to see and hear. Thanks for all the great stuff, man.
Great pics dirtman! So I guess you guys don't have a summer burn ban? Makin' me jealous. How's the foot?
Will do, just find me a house and It's game on!
Nice pics! How do you like the dozer? Looks kinda week. I saw a really nice new Komatsu dozer that's clearing nearby. How's that soil? Looks really bad.
That's funny, would you believe that we have 40,000 acre wild fire about 150 miles for where I live and we still don't have a burning ban:beatsme The fire was started by lightning so their still letting people burn. It's crazzy when they do enforce a burning ban, when it's nice and dry out, not ban, your waiting for a rainy day so you don't set the woods on fire(been there done that) and they day before the rain they set a buring ban up for a month. that's when you just go ahead and set it on fire and play dumb when they come out. 100 dollar ticket is better than waiting a month to finish the job. foot's doing better, looks like crap though:Banghead
Hey Chris, I enjoy your pics and videos. I have not read all your post so you may have talked about this before. How do you guys transport all your equipment? I know I could get work for a big excavator but the thought of all the extra expense just for transport is not feasible for me right now. I also love working out in the rural areas. Nothing worse than a congested commercial site with everyone in a hurry and no place to park your rig......but when thats where the money is, thats where I'll be!! Greg
We hire a lowboy to move all the larger equipment. We have a good friend that has a lowboy and he usually moves all the equipment, If he can't move it at the time we just get someone else. He only charges $150.00 for the local moves.
Dozer or TrackLoader Great work and pics as ever Chris. Just interested in your reasoning for trying the Dozer? Is it to be used for finishing works and small scale muck shifting in LGP form, or equipped with a rake to aid your clearance works also. Just wonder as I would probably take a look at something like a CAT953 with wide pads to compare for your applications. I have fair experience of both, and would fall for a tracked loader every time apart from obviously finishing work in difficult conditions. However you are well aware that versatility is the key these days, and next to an excavator there is nothing more verstile than a 4 in 1 equipped tracked loader. The backhoe probably beats both, but not in your applications before someone else jumps in!! If you get a big clearance job on price, rent a 963 and you probably won,t regret it. It will certainly put a smile on your face!!
You too huh? :idea:cool2
Man I ruined a pair of boots oneday. It was a little too dry out and we were buring in a valley where we were building a pond. the valley was surrounded by pine trees with that nice 1-2" of nice dry pine straw underneath. You guessed it, I was moving dirt, looked out the window and saw and area that had just started and was about 75' into the woods and only about 50' from the neighboors new barn. I go running thru the woods with a shovel and start stomping and raking it into itself with the shovel. Finally got it out, looked down and saw my new tan boots were burnt black Now I use the machine to put the fires out...:cool2
Thanks! Yeah we were trying to find a good used dozer to help out when doing larger jobs. we've been using the skid steer for jobs a d6 should be doing. I think if we get a dozer its going to be a Deere 650. We have a job next month were going to test one out on and see how it does.
Hmmm...talking about setting the woods and other things on fire- I guess the best of my worst as far as setting the woods on fire was this: Now this was many years ago and things have changed quite a bit but we lived in the country and this is how things were done back then. My dad was a homebuilder and I worked for him every summer through my youth. This was a "big" development for the time, ya' know 5-8 houses under construction at a time. Anyway, we didn't use dumpsters or the landfill or anything like that. The trash was hauled, by me in a one-ton, to an area at the back of the development and piled up. Everything was hauled - drywall. lumber, shingles, paint cans- everything it takes to construct a house. When the pile got "big enough", we would light it on fire and burn what would burn and bury the rest. (you can get the fire hot enough to burn the paper off of drywall and everything else just crumbles - but you gotta have a a hot fire) One dry, hot summer day the "powers that be" decided the pile needed to be reduced. Always up the task of setting something on fire, I was ready to go. Everything was going well - nice fire and clouds of smoke. One thing I did not mention was the waste pile was located in a cut about 35' below an existing neighborhood located adjacent to the development. Well you guessed it..... I caught about 4 neighboring rear yards on fire. The FD showed up as well as some very upset neighbors. When the smoke settled, everything was smoozed over since the "kid" decided to burn the pile. Funny now that I think about it, how much heat I was actually blamed for. (Pun intended). Now times have changed and you have to get a physical, back ground check, FAA approval, Pentagon level 5 clearance and have a $30K air curtain just to get a burn permit. That's why I got into the dumpster business - changin' with the times.
ha ha, sounds like it was fun. Still pretty easy to burn things around here. Nothing better than knocking down an old house (or shed as pictured) and setting it on fire. then dig a hole and get rid of what ever is remaining.
Makin' me jealous - again! So what's your preference in the red jerry can? Gas or diesel - or diesel first with a gas starter?
I call it Dirtman's secret starter stuff, AKA- DSSS ointhead Best I could come up with:Banghead There might have been little gas in that can I just topped it off with diesel It's amazing just how much fun you can have at work, no wonder I'm a party pooper when I'm out with friends, they really don't know what fun is! This what I call fun!
That's impressive getting those kitchen cabinets out intact!
It's all in the hands... or should I say wrists Ever thought of picking up a 20oz cut and stacking it in a 32 oz cup? get's boring when your waiting on trucks... have to do something http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un9YG5B-_So
been workin hard started digging the core for the pond dam on monday. dug good red compactable clay out of the hillside and pushed it down to the pond and built the dam. digging the hole filling the hole back up dam is done
pond looking the other way.
removed stumps from this yard, removed the dirt, graded yard and rough graded a circular drive. started on another pond today, had to start clearing all the trees. buddy brought over his 160 to help knock this job out, we have a whole lot more work to do.
few more pictures for tonight
Lookin good Chris, nicee 160!
Just a few pics from the begining of this week. Started buring on monday. Clearing and buring the brush pile. Here's the deere pushing up the fire, About 20 minutes later the machine burnt to a stop after some embers caught the the trash that collects in the turn table on fire
Alright been too busy lately to post pictures so here we go! Had about an acre of real dense trees to clear, haul out, then demo this old building. No pics of the clearing but here are some of the demo. Before 5 minutes later Seperated all the tin from the concrete and wood. Looks like a little junk money for me! Video of knocking the building down http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ8iExUBaUI
Now the skid steer is digging a hole to bury all the concrete and block Loading up the concrete and block loaded up a load of logs
Started digging for the basement, 85' by 60' with an average cut of 6-7' Couple from last week of the 14,000 sq ft horse arena I'm building
Interesting soil layers you have in those first couple of basement pics...what kind of material is that, sandstone?
It goes topsoil, redclay, then a pinkish red clay, then a lighter colored powder clay material. No rock in sight...
Eh, you like to burn, isn't. Where's the braai-vleis, ek se? Uyasebenzisa amaTLB? ie: where's the BBQ meat? Do you use TLBs? I see all your ex's got thumbs, homebuilt or factory? Not used much in this country, but I'm tired of doing things the African way. ie, with basic, standard machines.
Nice pics Dirtman, specially the truck is awesome!
Any new news about your buddy's Deere 160?
yeah the machine was recovered and hauled back to the dealer where they wrote it off as a total loss. They figured all in all there was about $90,000 in damages with the revovery charges.
Ready for some more pictures of my back breaking labor?.... Alrighty then All 14,000 sq ft of this friggin hot black fabric was laid down and stapled every 10' by yours truely. First load of the 300 tons of screenings need to build the base. Spreading out the screenings
Trucks just keep on comming Digging a hole to bury all the roots and junk dirt dumping the good dirt at the barn site
6-7 pieces of equipment and two operators on the jobsite.... Block that bad boy in every night!! It's dusty pushing ahes! Time for a wash
More back breaking work. laid down all the 6x6x8' timbers around the perimeter of the arena in 100 degree NC heat! oh yeah 90% humidity too
First load of sand arrives. then the PAIN IN THE AS* Frameless dump that can't go off road had to dump over the edge of the arena and screw up my nice timbers:Banghead
90 tons of sand and a 25 HP tractor with the bucket that holds about 4 wheelbarrows... lots of fun:drinkup
Equipment line up my little stream crossing here's where the pond is going ARENA IS FINISHED !!!!!!!!!!! :drinkup
Awesome pics Chris, and very nice work. The tac. ctl couldent drive on those graded screenings? Thats alot of work on that little kubota!
Hey Chris, did you use treated wood or a compositon material? Great pics as always man!
Nice pics. Man u guys load the dog crap out of them trucks! How much net can they haul. Just looks like alot for a highway truck.
Excellent pics and very nice work.It looks like a professional job every step of the way.Thanks for posting them for us all to see and aspire to.Ron G
It's all off road hauling, for the dirt. here's a video of me loading one of the trucks http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=YCbrK4zIF8o It's not a load unless it's rolling over the sides!
Thanks, It's all treated lumber. On the last arena we built we used Rail Road ties instead of the 6x6's
nice video--smooth operating nice video. great how you position the camera in there to get those great shots. man, you are a good operator--smooth and fast. awesome. keep it up!
looks like a dressage ring. what kind of slope did you put on it? what are the dimensions? you always have the most professional looking job! keep it up!
You guys ever look into using composite material?
It's nice stuff, but it usually cost more then what the owner wants to spend. I just do what ever the homeowner wants, if she wanted pink sand for the arena, well... it might take some time but i'd get it
I know no one likes to pay for it, but at least once you put it in, its final no maintence.
No such thing as no maintenance with horses. Even low maintenance is pushing it. I start my days taking care of 6 horses at 5am, and end my day taking care of the same horses. It never ends.
Dirtman, what do rich kids have that you could throw a brick at? Sorry to be so behind, but those rich kids really were bored! Probably still are if you give them half a chance! Other than that, really, really cool work. Gotto get another Doosan, or Daewoo, or what ever, as long as its orange and come from korea, cool! Again, sorry to be so delayed!
heard that!
It's about time for an update! Dug a pond at the horse arena
more from digging the pond Installing the drain pipe
The dirtman himself working hard.... Pond dam is graded
Then I finished up another pond I started at the begining of summer
all done The I started another pond dredging
moving more mud
little drain work
All done Another pond dredging Before
few more
Little spillway work
Concrete work
Now were grading a parking lot
more dumping
working late
My hats off to you Chris. You guys do beutiful work!!!!!!!!!!!!
I second that! I like the frame dump, who makes it. Is it yours?
Great pictures as usual! Look like your really busy with a variety of jobs.
Still love the volvo. The yanmar looks nice dirty also.
I see you grading that parking lot, and my first thought is: where is the grader? Anyway, some real good stuff you doing there. And moving the concrete in the ex's bucket, rather a good idea. Also, what brand trucks do you use, coz those are some pretty beasts?
Whatever happened to komatsu tracked dump you guys picked up a year or so ago? i saw a few pics the first day or so and then nothing. I'm assuming that meant the experience wasn't too pleasant.
Oh we were just renting that truck for that job. with a price tag of $200,000+ we could not justify buying one.
Dirtman the third pix down looks like a place I know in chapel hill, NC ?? Where is it ??
That job was in Raleigh NC. Just a simple pond dredging and a little drain pipe installation.
Thanks for the reply I saw a place like that in Chappel Hill while back and that looked like the first stages of one of the nicest place I think I have ever been. I purchased a little BD2G II from the fellow there and he showed me and my wife around. The picture looked like a shot from the side of his pond with the driveway to his house through the woods.
Chris good to see that business is still good for you all down east in NC. It's slowing down in the western part. I'm still on this D.O.T. job in Marion, NC. I recieved word that we are starting a new job in Charlotte, NC, building a school for C.M.S. Our company has never ventured to the Charlotte area for work, so that tells you how hard up we are for work. The furthest east we have been in Roxboro to clean out a flyash pond for Duke Power at one of there coal plants. I miss working there!
Hey were in Raleigh and we've done a few jobs in Charlotte and several in Greensboro. Nothing like 2 hour drive to work in the morning then about 3 hours to get home ointhead
Yeah good thing is they put us up in hotels if its more than an hour away from home. Right now I have had a 50 minute drive to and from the job since this time last year, so gas prices are killing me.
where at in Marion? i'm down that way all the time.
I'm working on Hwy 226 where it intersects with Interstate 40. Love's Truck Stop is there. The one good thing with being close to the truck stop is i get to see alot of types of equipment rolling in all the time.
It's already been a month! Since my last picture update Been busy I guess... That's a good thing. here are the last few pictures of the building pad.
last pictures of the building pad
Good pics Chris! We are starting a new job next week, so I hope to have some pics posted in the next couple weeks. Nice Dozer buy the way.
Then it was a mad dash back to the horse arena project to disc, and drag the pasture to get it ready for the hydroseeding guys. Little wet near the pond:Banghead The pond is full now and everything is graded off.
Here is a large project that I have been working on for a while. This project was to make the road across the pond dam wider and consisted of clearing the trees off, hauling in over 100 loads of fill, grading and stone, rip-rap the front, new spillway, new overflow system, digging the pond corner out, ect. Oh yeah and it was a $500 fine fore dropping trees out of our work area and disturbing surrounding trees over the line. Thanks tree hugers ointhead Of course I did not have one tree fall over the line:drinkup Before
Clearing and cutting logs
Ah a nice and cool morning. Last load of brush All cleared
Cutting in the benches in the back of the dam for the fill dirt.
Here comes more dirt Digging on the pond
All the dirt has been hauled in, time to grade the back slope.
moving more mud
few more shots Here somes all my stone! Self spreading
The job is almost done All the dirt and stone work is done!
man, you are one of the cleanest operators around. i have never seen a finish hoe hand. well done.
great pics Chris, looks like the job went well! Keep em commin....
Wow! How long did it take? Really cool. i dig the 'cool morning' pic. are those all your trucks?
Beautiful job!!! Absolutely beautiful!!! OCR
Thanks, it one of those thing where you work for a your small family business, you must be able to operate every machine you have, and do a half-way good job at it.
Job took almost 3 full weeks to do. No the trucks are not ours, that's the last thing we need is to try and keep 5 trucks busy this time of the year:Banghead
Here are a couple little jobs I did at the end of the week just to be doing something. On this little pond I dug out the bottom of the pnd to the correct depth it needed to be, added all the dirt to the side slope. Then it was graded off and mulched over, some seed and straw and the one day job was done.
lastly one of my tank contracts with the gas company. saturday work but easy money:drinkup 500 gallon tank that was 65% full of gas, alittle heavy!
Ok here are some video's I've been taking Dropping the trees on the pond dam http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hgxuzGoqIbY http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=hgxuzGoqIbY Breaking the dam and flooding the area I dredged out http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=54habITHlKw Dumping a load of wet, sloppy mud! http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=WFQuH-5HGVA Grading the backside of the dam with the dozer http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=P1KD6iDVVhc Complete slidshow video of the entire project start to finish** Must watch** http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xNe1V9kyt5s
Great shots Dirtman, as usual, how many hours on the Daewoo, did you guys get a yanmar mini, or have you had that?
Thanks. I've got almost 5000 hrs on the daewoo. We've had that yanmar for a while now. maybe 7 or 8 months.
dammmnnnnnnn you dug that tank hole big
See those two orange marks in the first pictures. That's where it was marked out to go. I was just told to dig out between the lines, so that's what I did. Usually someone has to go down in the hole and set some blocks under the legs if the ground is somewhat wet to soread the weight out some. That's when it's nice to have some extra room.
hello i'm gaston i'm serching 320 cats to buy
my e-mail adress is [email protected] I thank you for information.
i'm just bustin your balls....have you ever had to dig a hole for a sign? The most strict hole i have ever dug was for a sign at a car dealership, the guy actually measured my bucket to make sure it was 3' even though i told him, then old eagle eyes stared at me the entire time and even went as far to criticize me for running the hoe at full throttle when digging your walk back to the dozer wasn't as fast as my dash to the hoe in my video i posted on the other site...haha
I have never seen a propane tank underground, must be south thing.
I had to reset a propane tank the same size that floated up out of the ground one wet spring. Tanks are buried quite often here in NY too. On the job I did I installed clear stone around and under the tank with a perforated pipe to collect any water and piped it out. This will prevent the tank from floating again.
We bury tanks all the time up here!
I get paid by the hour, no need to rush.:cool2
Looks really good. You can always tell how someone operates buy how well maintained there equipment is.
We are starting to see some of them around this area. They are not very common though. I like the idea of not having a pig to look at every day, then again I wonder how it would hold up. Considering some of the builders around here, it would not be safe until the skytrack is off site. Seen many of them take out brand new septic tanks. The other thing that concerns me is how would it hold up in some of our aggressive soils. Im starting to see a lot of twps and cities moving away from ductile iron water pipe in the sandy soils. This is due to the reaction between the iron and soil eating thru the pipe.
In all new construction they wil bury the tank around here. I've never had a problem with one going bad, of course with eveything you bury in the ground it's going to have a life span in which it will need to be replaced. I've only had to dig up one that was leaking and that way because the backhoe operator hit the tank when installing it. This lead to a weak point and the tank began to leak about a year later. It was pretty cool, the propane leaking form the tank cause the ground to freeze solid as a rock around the bottom of the tank. It was the middle of summer and I had a big blob a frozen dirt that needed to thaw!
Here we had a 30" concrete overflow pipe that was not installed correctly. Instead of the water going through the pipe it was going "under the pipe" So we dug down and around the pipe and poured 10yards of concrete around and down the sides to create a anti-seap collar around the pipe. Then we backfilled and packed with a compactor.
Then the daewoo has hauled over to a rock stock pile so I could sort through and get the correct size boulders for my next project.
Where is that rock coming from. You all don't have rock down that east do you?
My lord do we have rock Raleigh NC is the heart of rock country. The is a huge vein of rock that runs from here pretty much to the VA border. but is runs in spurts, one side of the county you can dig down 25' and not hit anything, the other side of the county you don't even bother digging, because the rock is stick out of the ground! I don't have much of a rock problem when building ponds as I'm usually in the nice low areas where everthing is nice and soft, plus we don't go down that deep. But the the few times I've dug a basement I usually hit rock and have to hammer it out.
The only thing we get is shale. No matter how deep you go, even with a 20T excavator, you still dig up shale. If we do want good rock however, we have to get it from the highveld! Oh, and , have you ever thought about picking up a camera proffesionaly? You take some damn good pics. I was just thinking about that guy that took pics of the Boston Big Dig every day, and had some real good shots.
Haven't seen the Volvo lately...
I have not ran that machine in over a month. It's been sitting on a big dirt pile that we've been getting dirt from for varoius jobs. I should be back on it in a couple weeks. I'm kinda getting tired of the daewoo
I just set a 500 gal. tank on my site and the propane company wires bags of zink to the tank. The zink takes all of the oxidation and it leaves the tank alone. Pretty smart!
Yep you can see one of the two bags in the picture of the tank in the ground. It's a good Idea!
hey dirtman you do great work gotta love red clay
I would never get tired of a daewoo, but it seems that you sure are kept busy.
dirtman, I see many of your ponds have docks. Do you build them if so could you give me an idea how to build one
Yeah I also build docks too if the pond owner wants one. The comon docks I build are int eh shape of a T. the first is a 6'x 12' wide one that flares off to a 16' 8' on the end. I take the chainshaw and cut a point on the end of the post and drive them in the ground with the excavator bucket. once I get them all in, I cut them to the proper hieght and frame it up just like a deck.
Thanks for the help.
how long of a post do you normally use?
I use 6x6 posts. usually the ones right at the bank are around 5' tall, I like to try and get 3' in the ground so in this case 2' would be stick out. Then depending on how deep the pond is I'll either use a 8' , 12' or 16' one. It takes a beefy man to hold up a 6x6 16' long until I can get the bucket up top to push down.
Are you slowing down much in your area Chris or are you fairly busy? Great pictures.
I've been pretty steady this year with very few days off. I've got work till the end of the year but then it gets a little ify. Hopefully someone with some sense will get elected and put use back on track and the work will continue to come in.
Started a new project this week. Clearing and buring until the fellow tells me to stop. These were suppose to be planted pine trees but it seems that there are few pines and many other trees instead. So I'm ripping them all out and setting it all on fire.
Getting the fire going. Leaf blower in action
thats cool i never would have thought of a leaf blower
that last pic is awesome:notworthy it should be in a calendar:drinkup
Still clearin and ah burnin.
I hate this time of year, The days are too short!! Some pictures at night
last few pics
Great pics, really like the night shots, what time are you working until, here it's dark by 5:15 or so. How many hour days are you working?
I'm working until about 7 pm or so, just because were burning and I'm try to get as much burt as possible hile the fires are going. Any other job and I'm gone before dark!
Just read this thread from end to end very impressive works. Not wanting to blow sunshine up your arse but your quality of work and the control you have for someone so young is awesome. I started my earthmoving business from scratch at 23 starting with a kubota R510 backhoe that i drove from job to job(at 7 mph), to 7 years later with a 4.5 mini, CTL, attachments out the butt, Dozer, Dumpers, Wood chipper, Dump truck and Tag trailer. So i understand your comments about multiple machine driving to get the job done. Now i want a 20 tonner. keep up the great work coverage for us to enjoy
yeah the pictures are just great, man. keep up the good work and the great pictures and videos. still waiting for that "how to" demolition video.
Thanks man, it really mean a lot when someone can tell how hard you work to do the absolute best job possible. I do every job to my standards, even if theys seem out of reach sometimes.
Alright time for an update Here's the clear job after I graded it all out with the dozer Here's the pond were in the process of dredging out.
So this is how day 1 of pond excavating went... not to good. But we finally got it out and got back at it. Here's where the muds going now. I'm going to extend the shoreline about 20'
Now I'm digging out the shoreline to extended it out about 20'. Then I pile the mud in behind the dike. Mud is still 7' deep Time to go home and :drinkup
Still playin in the mud. I'm making some progress Time to fill her up 5:00 somewhere
Great pics,Chris! (like always)
man you guys do some very cool stuff, need some help? lol
BCB, our company is out of Asheville. If your looking for a job, let me know.
Im looking for a job that is more consistent, can you be closer to Mi? Also, im going to want that grader you are running.
Your just going to have to bring yourself and the family on down here. You'll like our winters and our year round work. Whadda ya say? You have to start off on the bobcrap and work your way up from there.
Looks like a fun job!! Cool pics. Obviously mud is cooler when you are grown up, than when you are little!!
sign me up..when can i start. dirtman you do great work..:notworthy
I know a guy who refers to them as Skid-Swears.
nothing wrong with a bobcrap, heck I know some operators around here willing to pick up the rake and shovel. ointhead
I will pick up a rake and shovel... To move them out of my way LOL!!
ha at least you have the option of running something else all me and dad run is a S185 and a 430 mini. trying to get into the full size stuff but nobody has any work here.
Few more pictures Now were transfering the mud back to the head section of the pond. Making some progress
More digging and mud swinging fun:drinkup I almost got stuck! Skid steer hauling mud out to the other storage place.
takeuchi moving more mud All dug out
Great pics as always Chris... did you get your friend's tracked Dumper again for this job?
I just used the skid steer, it was only about 400 yards to move. I just used the skid steer and knocked it out in about 6 hours, buddy I was moving some mud!
Surprised your getting ur work done after all the rain we got last weekend. We are just now drying out ourselves. Is that pond your working on being drained or is it just low?
It's mud, it can't get any wetter than it already is! yes the pond was full and we drained it down with our siphons pull it down over 6' We used a 6" siphon to drain it down and installed a 3" to get up with the water that's running into the pond. Want to see how a siphon works? I made a video for those interested. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8lXl7tdJ7iY
i like the siphon idea. might come in useful one day
sheeet...i'm 55 yrs old, never seen that done before, thought i'd seen it, done it!!! that's just slicker'n snot on a doorknob. we do a lot of sewage lagoon projects, and rent pumps to equalize ponds...i'm going to save gas, pump rent, and headaches wondering whether or not the dang thing quit in the middle of the night....that's TOO cool dude...you learn something everyday.: thumbsup:thumbsup
yea man those siphon pumps are pretty neat...i have learned a ton about them in some of my hydrology classes...usually water and gravity work against you, not the case here....thats actually the first time i have actually seen one work "in the field"...as long as the outlet is lower then the water level suction will take its course... thanks for that dirtman you have any problems flooding woods or peoples down stream houses when you drain such a large pond?
Thanks! Yeah it's free for you to run but you always charge the customer an hourly rate for gravity It's simple and easy to use. Just make sure your lower end is lower than the water your trying to move and it will work. Pumps and fuel is costly. You know how much fuel a 6" pump running wide open for 24 hours will burn? A LOT! Whats so nice about this is it's quite, and you don't have to worry about burning up a pump if it runs out of water. It will just simple cut itself off.
your welcome. I've never really had a problem with flooding anyone downstream. I usually try to put the siphon in where the water will drain into the creek channel and flow back downstream. I have had people walk up to the ponds to see where all the water is comming from, most of them are happy because I just filled up their pond downstream as we still have ponds that are low from our drought last year.
Neat I never though of that to bad it won't work around here the land is to flat.
Chris, that syphon idea is just amazing. The only thing is I'm now recalling all the jobs it would have worked on without trying to get pumps to remote places and the worry of leaving them unattended! I'm actually starting a silt clear out tomorrow with a Cat 312 and the guy has had his pump in to empty the pond out for a couple of days as instructed, I feel a fool using one now!
Chris you have great pictures keep them comming!!!!
Chris, where are you? You haven't been on or posted any pics lately. I know it's rained a lot, but you said that usually doesn't stop you.
I've been working too damn much! I've got tons of pictures I need to post... I'll try tomorrow.
Ok I have nothing else better to do tonight so here we go After I dug out the main part of the pond I took the machine over to another cove to clean it out. I extended a drain and used the mud to extend the shoreline out.
Shoreline all graded out Then I took the mini and the small mud mats back to the other side to grade all the mud I added to that shoreline out. Before After
Before After How I clean my tracks
Then I had nothing to do oneday so I built a dock at the horse arena project i did over the summer. I had already drove the posts in the ground with the excavator when I built the pond
My latest big project This job I'm making a parking lot addition for a dance studio. I will cut this hill down, moving roughly 4000 yards of dirt. I will truck all the dirt down to the other end of the site and blend it into the hillside. almost 30' high! Darn Kudzu vines are everywhere I fell down so many times! Silt fence is going up Installing my stream crossing
Time to get rid of all those vines. Put the rake on the skid steer and went to town.
Loading out the brush
Still hauling the dirt
A Yanmar is a great machine for that. For a small size excavator it handles very good.
You take very good pictures Chris. What camera are you using? Bill
I syphon drained a pond a few years ago. I used what I had available at the time. It was a 75 ft length of 4 in corrugated plastic drain pipe. I capped each end with I believe a couple of discarded round plastic bleach containers taped on with duct tape. After positioning the drain pipe over the embankment I made a small opening in the pipe at the highest point on the bank an pumped it full of water and then sealed this hole. Then I went to the lowest end and started removing the cap while signaling for my wife to remove the cap on her end that was under water in the pond. This was a mistake. I should have been on her end. I got my cap off a few seconds before she did and the suction pulled her arm in the pipe and she started yelling for help. Luckily her body was larger than the the drain opening. I helped her get free and then took a lot of heat for the mishap. Didn't take long to drain the pond though. Bill
Chris- Do you make your mud mats or buy them? I need some for my next job and I have never used them before. Keep the pictures coming!
I bought a used D68E-8 Komatsu dozer. I want to change the transmission/torque converter oil. Does anyone know the type and amount needed? I may need to start a new thread for this info. Thanks, Bill
I buy them, I switching over to the 8"x8" timber mats that are 5' wide and 16' long. them seem to hold up to my abuse better than my previous mats made out of 2x8's. If I ever get a clearing job that has a bunch of big oak logs I plan on taking them to a board cutter so he can cut me some timbers and I'll just blot them together myself.
You'd bether ask somewhere else. Our D65/85PX-15 has the following demands for oil: Gearbox 48litres, Shell Donax TC30 or Donax TC10W. Dampherbox 1,7litres, Shell Donax TC30. Both covers Komatsu KES 07 851. Last comment here tells you the demand from the factory. Theese specs is from the Norwegian dealer. Dozers is 2005/2006 modells. Hope this helps.
Few more grading pics Here are a few more of the grading and dirt moving pics. Scraping the bed out Tracking the slope in loading more dirt
The dirt is on the move Man that's a bunch of dirt I moved
Fixing and grading the slopes
Parking lot is all graded and the slopes have just been seeded and strawed
As always Chris, very good photos of another very well done and professional job. Your end result is your signature and your best "billboard" of advertisment. Doing good, cost efficient work and in a timely manner bring more business than any amount of radio, or new paper or phone ads can any day. Well done once again. Trbo
man how do you get these jobs? Nobody around here has any money to do anything, and if they do they about want you to pay them to do it.
Chris do you have any other pictures of the volvo and the track loader on trailers?
Pretty much all of the pictures I've taken are in these 26 pages. We pull the mini excavators and the skid steer on our 3 axle trailer we pull behind 3/4 ton trucks.
We have a pretty good size ad in the phone book, Bossman just had an ad filmed for the internet phone book that states who we are and what we do.
Chris, I have a few questions for you, is this your business, on this page it said me in one spot and we in another ? How do you get anything done taking all these pictures, there are 3 guys on my crew, the 3 of us can't take that many pictures. Why are using such short mats, for what you are doing I would be using 20' wide mats and have 5 with me at all times. I was running a 35 ton Marion crane pounding piles had 25' x 5' x 12" mats and 6 of them to work with. I look forward to your comments. Dan
It's a family business between myself and my uncle who owns the company. sometimes I can the stuff mine as I'm the one who pretty much runs the equipment for the majority of the time, but in reality it's not technically mine, even though i treat it all like its my own. It will be oneday though. AS far as the mats, 20' long mats are just to wide and get to heavy for what I need them for. I perfer the 16'X5'x8" ones for mud work. These are still hard to get out of the mud when they sink a couple feet below the surface. 4 mats is really all I need, and extra one or two is nice but not nessasary. For the pictures, that's not really that many in my book. I take 5- 10 pictures a day, sometimes more depending on what I'm doing. It's easy, hop out of the cab when nature call, grab the camera and get a picture, I'm a steady worker but Every so often I need to get out for a couple minutes and get some blood flowing in the legs again
What kind of truck are you guys using to pull the excavators?
For the compact stuff we either use my F250 or my bosses F350.
Good deal. I am pulling my cat track loader with a 350. Hasn't failed me yet and has plenty of power.
Another nice job Chris, have you purchased that Komatsu Dozer? Another question that is going to have an obvious answer, but we don't do over here is the Straw. Whats it's purpose?:beatsme Also I use 15Ft mats and find them a perfect balance, easy to handle and transport but giving plenty of floatation. Three is usually all I need but more come in handy to make loading areas for dumpers etc.
What do you guys use over there if its not straw? Do you use the fabricated rolls of the netting/straw/seed? Or mabey that green stuff that is blown out of a truck?:beatsme
That green stuff blown out of a truck, hydroseed, is some awesome stuff. Itll even grow grass on metal, fire hydrants, and concrete, sidewalks, if it gets enough water.
Ive heard that the green stuff is very pricey.....but when you see all the labor cost involved in rolling out, and staking down the straw rolls, mabey the costs balance out by only having two guys run the blower truck.
Dirtman, I noticed in one of your pics of what looked like a Finn towable straw blower, how do you like it? I have Kincade tailgate mulcher that works good for what we need it for. Eddie the straw is used to help hold the loose dirt and seed in place until the grass seed germinates. It also helps hold moisture closer to the ground to help germination. From my experience, I am not a real big fan of hydroseeding. I have a small 300 gallon hydroseeder we use occasionally but I have better results out of seeding and mulching. Traditional seeding and mulching is cheaper, easier and quicker. Hydroseeding seems to be hit and miss with the germination of the seed. Sometimes it does great and other times blah. I have had the same results when the "professionals" are hired to do a large site. Down south this time of year, you just can't beat winter rye and straw mulch. You will have green in 10-12 days.
It was a Finn B 70 I think, we just rented it for a day. It was awsome, blew the straw a good 50+ feet. All you had to do was cut the strings and it would take it just as fast as you could put in in there! We put down a contractors mix of Rye and fescue. It comes up pretty quick with 60 degree days.
Whats been going on Chris no work or no time to put up pictures?
more pics! and more youtube videos!!:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy
Time for some more pictures Here's a update on what I've been doing lately. Been pretty cusy so thats good. Hauled in my 4" of crushed concrete for a base for the parking lot Then I spread about 2" of stone over the area. All done!
Wow nice job. I saw the video of how you spread the stone that was cool. keep up the great work
Onto the next project. This was a overflow pipe on a pond at the golf course. The pipe rotted and cause a massive hole on the backside of the dam. I'm replacing it with a new 24" overflow with a 24" flash board riser so they can control the water level into their irrigation pond. The flash board riser Loaded up the excavator and took to the street.
Yeap there are all those lines that were not "suppose" to be there Setting the box
Tiem to dig out the old pipe and backfill with dirt. Now that's a bucket full!
All Done
Great pics as usual Chris. Just wondering how your company stays busy? Is it the advertising, or people just knowing you? And it looks like it would be a good time to clean that pond out while you have it drained and have the equipment there.
Find any golf balls when draining the pond? Great pics as usual
Its our small family biz with a Very good reputation. We've never not been able to complete a job, and we have taken on some jobs that nobody else would bid on. Do good work for a reasonable price and you will be succesful. Clearing more shooting lanes. Fellow was so happy with the work I did last year and the amount of deer it brought out of the woods that I'm back to clear some more Before After Before After
That's gonna be a fire! Then I'm off to play on the dozer. I'm filling in a old pond thats leaking and just will not hold water. Owner is tired of messing with it and wants it filled in.
Thanks Sitting in the machine I could see about 10,000 of them. need some? lol
What is a "shooting lane?" Is that where the deer come out of the woods to move on the path and he hides in that tower and shoots them? Pretty neat trick, I guess. If that were the case, I think my driveway would qualify as a shooting lane. Only problem is, can't shoot nothing (legally) in this county.
Horse Arena!!! *Drool*
Hello Dirtman, Those pictures look good. I was wondering what kind of camera you are using. I have been looking for one that I can use on the job, not too fancy if you know what I mean. Glad to see you've got some work. Things have been running a little tight. Trying to get my 3 replies in so I can get some info on a Case 721B that has gone bad on the rear differential.
What is the box for? I've never seen one before and was curious what it's purpose is. Great pictures, you're posts are very informative. Thanks, Eddie
The box is a damn. You can control the water level of the pond with it. Worked on a wetland project in Columbus Oh that had two of them. They were a little different though, they had electric lines ran to them. They were also wired to a phone system. The city could control the level of the wetland from an office, or from any computer for that matter.
Thanks, Like Turbo said its to control the water level. Say they wanted to lower the pond all they would have to do is over the lid and pull out one of the boards with the handel. The boards are 5" and 7" tall, this way you can get the water within a 1" of where it needs to be by adjusting it with the boards that are taller or shorter.
Thats the plan. works good to, the deer come up out of the swamp to graze in the little paths, when that big 10 pointer comes out, bam. Got something else to hang on the wall
Did a little clearing project around some old barns. Owner had a tree fall on one of his sheds and destroy one of his new trailers so he decided to remove all the trees within reach of his building It felt good to actually use my brain for a day, not the easiest thing droping big trees that are so close to structures without hitting anything. Any fool can dig a hole, tree clearing will show what your made of. Heres some pics Before The bif red oak Making some progress There is the big tree, right next to the barn. I had to dig all the roots out from under the barn so when I pushed the tree over the barn did not go flying up. LOL
here is a pic of me standing next to the 36" red oak I just cut. Thats little close in my book All done, Sorry the damn sun blinds everything this time of year I also set the pile of brush on fire on my other clearing job. Couple new videos Burning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bmbe-iVqtc Falling the huge tree http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P_k-Wi_c9E
great stuff man! is your company expecting a slump in the work load as perjected for 2009? i think i might be lucky i started my aprentiship for excavator operator ffor a company puting in a new subdivision 3000 homes project is set in woodlot,marsh and river bank. any tips for a green horn you could give out? im running that JD in my avatar.
hey chris enjoying the snow?
I saw your video of the truck in snow looked like fun. We didn't get much of anything in Wilmington.
It was really nice to get a good snow storm today. We have not seen snow in 5 years. Few pics I took
bah you SUCK chris!!! we didnt even get a flake up here...I LOVE SNOW...i am going to snowshoe next month tho so i will see some...I had the dozer blade installed on the RC100 today too...just sitting and waiting....
I took this day off and made the best of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KrqFCqMRu4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_0z35_w-hM Ok I'm ready to go back to work:drinkup
We only got an inch here where I live. Just a pic from my front window.
you guys are lucky! i gots 3 feet here :Banghead
actually i would consider YOU the lucky one...3 feet would be AWESOME
Mmmm I Love Snow =] . Good thing I live in Maine =D
Holy crap thats winter there? Hey I'll trade ya. I've got a nice 450D John Deere or a 14H Grader you can come run in -40 degree weather and I'll play in the Daewoo
Yep that's winter down here, one of the many reasons why I live here. :cool2 I don't like to blow the leaves off the driveway much less have to shovel snow out of it. Yesterday it was high 60's and partly cloudy - had to turn the A/C on in the truck.
What do you mean...this is pretty cold for us around here I've never seen temperatures below 0.... I will be perfectly happy if I never do:cool2 You can have the daewoo... I rather run the volvo. Its got a heated seat for those 20 degree mornings:drinkup
A heated seat thats gotta be nice on these cold days we have been having. I wish I had a heated seat on my excavator.
It was -40 here last night... I'll take the Daewoo hoe off your hands though. I have some fond memories of Daewoo's. How about this you send your float up here and we will trade you the "woo" for a 2007 Deere 240D LC with thumb, hydraulic wedge lock coupler and heated seat.
if i were chris id drive it up there myself for that deal!
If he don't...I'll send my lowboy on the way rightnow!
It was 40+ here today... Wow thats 80 degrees warmer! Bring out the shorts Sure that sounds like a good trade, I'll take the deere. Run it a few days then trade it in for a new Volvo 210CL:drinkup Sorry but I'm not a deere guy... I'd still take it over the daewoo though
I wonder why he does not like the deere? I thought he was a deere fan You want to ride with me?
lets go...if you dont have a cdl i do!
You can drive then. I'll buy you lunch:drinkup Burnout.... What time you want us to be there?
I see why you want to trade now.... I can't believe you did not tell us about your little "accident" with the machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb8G3BkfRCY&feature=related
sheesh that figures dont it chris....there goes the trade in value! on a side note...that sure is a cute little bucket on there...maybe burnout will toss that in with the 270 we can use it on the mini :lmao
What accident did I have with the 240? I am in camp right now and I can't open links or right click to watch the video. I am a Deere guy but that 240 just isn't my style. And I had some good memories with the Daewoo's. You can be here anytime between 7pm and 7am I will be on site either in the 350D or the 14H. I have yet to screw up that 240, but I did get to right a couple rock trucks last night with a 350....anyone need a bent lift cylinder off a Deere 300D?
ahh just messin with you. the video is of a New deere 270 (thought it was a 240 before I read the discription) that had been flipped over. They set it back up with two other excavators. what do you not like about the 240?
Ohhhh yeah I couldnt see the video. I don't know what it is about the 240.... just not my style. I'd take a 270 though. It's a good enough little hoe but I like my 450 I managed to spend a couple hours in the 450D last night and I kinda like my Hitachi 450 (equivelant of a 450C) a little better, i find the joysticks way more comfortable. But man is the 450D FAST! While we're at it.... I'll trade you a new 350D as well. It has some little issues though... like about 2" of vertical movement in the swing drive:beatsme
Now how did you manage to do that???? I tell you ya'll are rough on some stuff LOL Now get back to work!
we will have to get you a cdl chris..looks like we need two trucks...i would like to see you get that 350 out of a pond mr mud magician!
Burnout- Glad to here you like your 450 D. I love mine! How many hours are on yours and what size bucket? I got the 4.5 cu yd bucket. Nothing like filling the tri axle in 3 passes.
chris...was in your area today..went right by raleigh to drop off a Jeep I sold on Ebay...nice bit of country down there!
cool, Yeah its pretty nice once you get out of the city. It can be quite the cluster sometimes. What part did you go to?
i actually passed by on the way to cary..met the guy at a grocery store parking lot..i was looking for a tak or woo or volvo on every side street but never saw ya haha...i did however see a volvo and woo in a field about 15miles back up the interstate and almost ran off the road tryin to see what model they were!! :Banghead
We have 6 450D's, the one we have here is kickin in around 4500hrs already, and another with just over 2000hrs. We give em lots of hours in a short amount of time. Our big buckets are 4.00 cu yd buckets but if I get the new 450 comin we are asking for a 4.5yd. The other operator on site blew up our Zaxis 450, so sadly..... they have sent mine up here to be molested. I got to watch him karate chop ice with my baby for half the day... so sad so sad. As for the 350.... I am very proud to say I have only spent about 40hrs on it, and it had that play before I jumped in it. Our company is a good company, lots of nice equipment but they have a lot of operators that are hard on machines and don't exactly take pride in the iron. It seems like everyone's favourite line around here is "I don't own a bolt on it". Which is obvious because we have 2 guys on site with 450's... both seem to think its perfectly acceptable to karate chop the ground with hoe's this size.... yet no one can figure out why our stuff is forever broken. I watched the one guy take my nice CLEAN Zaxis 450 today dig for 10 minutes with it.... and then swing it into a big frozen bank. I have a nice dented panel on her now and he told me at lunch "Your 450 has waaayyyyyy more overhang than mine". Meanwhile the machines are twins... the only difference is my stick is 2ft shorter and my machine WAS in better shape. Now we might as well just slap a Komatsu sticker on it and call it a piece of crap.
Cool, yeah you were pretty close. If you came down route 1 you passed my jobsite. Just had the tak though. You wouldn't be able to find the volvo or daewoo, they are tucked away out in the woods on some finished up jobs.
musta passed right by you...next time ill look around a little better
lol! "Your 450 has way more over hang then mine!" wow someone has no clue what they are talking about. What motors are you running in them?
wow looks like you get some really nice work!!!
They are the all Hitachi machines. No Deere engine'd machines for us which is sad. I love the sound of those big 12.5's behind ya.
so whats going on dirtman not working?
not at the moment. things have really slowed down this week. I've got a few pictures I will post later.
Very Neat Nothing Like a Nice Neat Worksite. Well executed
**** no kidding if it werent for the new local subdivision thered be noting to do for any one. whats your outlook for the summer? i will be a recent grad of a traning school soon, starting to think it might be a waste of time...lol
It wont be a waste of time, things will pick back up. Just don't know how long that will be...
not a lot to show but some is better than nothing ointhead finished filling in a little 1/2 acre pond with the dozer
did a little pond dredging on one side
some snow pictures lol Then I was sent out to go do another pond dredging
moving mud
more mud Then I did some much needed equipment cleaning http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/Letsdig18/?action=view¤t=wash.flv
spotless:drinkup New project, redoing a 600' driveway. hauling in crushed concrete. $50.00 a load not matter how big it is. 30 tons on a tri
all done
Nice work as ever Chris.:thumbsup I doubt you will be ever that short of work with the quality you turn out and obvious experience. I'm hoping that like yourself being able to tackle jobs others shy away from, by knowing what to use and how to use it and finally always leaving it as if I were paying for the job myself will see me through this difficult time. Just a small point, on a lot of your projects we in the UK would utilise a site dumper in the six or nine tonne class (some ten tonners are now being utilised). Are these not common over in the States? As they are a most effective way of moving material over a short haul at minimal cost. Operators only have to have basic skills, however it's always easier to have a skilled person on one as it will save a lot of damage and tidying up! For you applications a 6 or 9 tonner with some good wide tyres would I believe be a great addition to your fleet. Plenty of really cheap ones over here and the exchange has swung completely in your favour! Hope you keep busy Eddie
I hope so man, I hope so. I do the best I can. As far as those little dumpers they are not very common over here. Most the off road trucks here start in the 25 - 30 ton range. Those little stings would probably get stuck in all the mud we work around to.
Few new videos skid steer cab cam http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXIKeQ8aTvg better one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCQbjOZK0rc swinging mud out of a pond http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKLay-WB5PA
Hey Chris, what size bucket you running on the volvo? I am amazed at how stable it is when fully extended with a heaping bucket of muck! I run a cat 320cl with a 48" bucket, hyd. thumb, and quick attach, and it is pretty tippy. Great pics. and videos by the way. Keep em comming!
thanks Its a 48" bucket.
just wondering if you knew why the truck is set up with the barn door when dumping gravel? were you guys doing brush some where?
my work some of my work with my terex 760 with 4ft. bucket. these are footings for a tilt up buliding. Bass pro shop in so. cal.
he was hauling some trash the day before. Its a pain to change the door for just 6 loads.
yea i know its a pain:Banghead i was so happy when i was driving a truck without one, i got stuck in a truck with one for a year it sucked to have to switch it back and forth a couple times a week
nice pics!
Hey Chris, Hows it going? Got any work goin on it this tough time? Well just figured i'd drop by and see how you were doing havent really noticed any new pics. Tyler
Yeah I've been playing around here and there. Just started a nasty big job today, should be very interesting. Nobody in their right mind would even think about taking a machine where I'm getting ready to go! here is a little wall I removed and regraded
Finished, then I rounded up some old buckets at the shop. I've got three now that need to be scraped. I might just use this one on the takeuchi as a bucket for bulk dirt
Clearing and burning 3 acres of stumps for a house lot 5000 hrs on the daewoo
More
Then the neighbor wanted me to push up his little trash pile and dig him a little water hole. My god I have never seen so much junk!!!!!!!!!!!!
Swamp digging Ok On this job I've been brought in to clean up and bust a bunch of beaver dams that are flooding and killing around 12 acres of timber. the creek is a little over 1/2 mile long that I will need to redig also. the fun begins It was so clean new mud mats I have to go here
more mud swinging some channel It was clean
great work as usual chris! is work picking up now that were closer to spring?
Great pics as always Chris :notworthy congrats on the Daewoo :thumbsup Out of intrest when you do a job like this one clearing and burning, do you do it on price or hourly? I dont want your rates I am just intrested to know if you have done enough of it over the years to have a per tree / acre or hour figures you work with.
we try to give people a set price and say what we can do for this certain amount. some rather do it by the hour, then when they don't want to spend anymore money we stop. this gives them the option to add more work or do less, most of the time it is do more
any problems in the 5000 hrs on the daewoo?
The only things that have been replaced was the alternator, two batteries, and a part for the A/C. thats it Now the top cylinder is leaking and will need to be repacked. already ordered the kit.
Thanks Chris. Really you are using your experience of whats gone before to sort out a price, so does it come down to by the root, or quantity of them to the acre? sorry, just facinated, DONT want prices.
Chris, wheres the updates?
Yeah I've got a bunch of pictures to update, it just takes so long to do 5 at the time, upload one by one.... I'm just lazy too right now ointhead
may i sugest a public photo bucket ablum? or something of the like. as you have **** loads of good stuff.
naa screw that...keep it here chris.....best thread ever!!!:usa
Ready for some pictures? So I finished up the big land draining job I was on. Mud, mud everywhere!
A little silt pond rehab with the takkie. dredged all the sediment out and installed new rip rap.
Some dam and pond cleanup.
when will the fun ever end???
I was right down the road from a big pond I built back when I was in high school, so I stopped by to check it out. still needs some more rain to fill it back up.
It snowed again. Can't let it hold up progress though. the Machine did look good
Had a warm day and some free time so we repacked the top cylinder on the daewoo.
power washed and degreased the dirty daewoo ointhead Changed the worn out sprockets on the skid steer
another pond shore cleanup
nope not done yet.
Loaded the beast up again and when to my latest clearing job
with two thumbs up from my buddy, lets get the show on the road! More clearing
nice pics as usual. thats a real clean and nice setup lowboy.
So when your pile get so big that you can't reach the top, you just climb on up there some more and stack it higher! So I just about had a tree fall on the machine, I did a quick swing and pinned it with the boom up against another tree. I had to get out and look over the situation. the I grabbed the takecuhi and held the tree so that I could get the excavator out of harms way. quite the pucker factor for a couple minutes that's going to be a big fire!
Started to dig a big burn pit
Ok the very last one! here's the last one, I have a bunch of new videos that you can watch by following the link in my signature
Chris awesome pics as usual. I don't for a fact, but I believe you have the longest thread. We'll have to hear from one of the administrators on that. Five got layed off our crew Friday, because our business is slow. It's bad when you hope for rain to prolong the job! I don't know if they will have anything after we get done there. Good to see your staying busy.
great stuff chris
So what is the purpose of the big hole beside the big pile of trees? Do you have to burn in the hole? If so then why go to all the trouble of making the enormous pile? There must be something I'm missing. Great pics. Sure is a low water table! Look forward to seeing more. Warren
The reason for the large pile is I wanted to get everything as close to the hole as possible. I knew the fire would burn good so i wanted to limit my time next to it. with a pile that big and tall, right next to the hole. All I had to do was just reach over and pull it right into the fire. I don't like working downstream of the smoke as all those red hot ashes as they fall on the machine. that's how they catch on fire, I know from experience!
Isn't that how that Deere you posted pics of burnt? That's bizarre, I'm glad we don't have to burn in a hole in my county. What a make work project. Of course it might not be that bad as we have to bury all the rocks. Hmmmn Again, some great pics. Warren
We don't have to burn in a hole. It's just if you dig a hole and burn in it, then you don't have to deal with a huge pile of dirt and ashes. All you have to do is just cover it up and call it done.
Chris I was down your way the last two days, I wished I had time to come by and visit, but no time.
:notworthy I just knew you had a very good reason for burning in a pit, but hell if I could work it out :Banghead :cool2 :drinkup
Hey Chris hows work coming along? i noticed you got a new video on youtube and have been uploading your current jjob pics to ********.com what happened to showing here, dont tell us your forgetting about us over here lol.
Well that is the difference between being able to LINK images to a forum and not.
On edit The forum will link to other images at present...but I'm not sure if the auto-resizer works on linked images since the upgrade...which was the reason for the original restriction. Also..some websites are restricted because of questionable content. I'll update the appropriate thread when I get some more info.
Hey Squiz, you gonna get some more block and finish that wall?
Nope!....we used steel http://costone.com.au/files/images/Byford 02_0.preview.JPG
Pictures of my work: Hello Chris, My compliments on your nice web site... :thumbsup I was just browsing through a little, looking at some pictures, and noticed you have a TV 145. We happen to have one too, and I was just curious as to how you like, or possibly, dislike it. Best regards, OCR
eemm I don't have a website. I've got a takeuchi tb 135 mini if thats what your talking about
Thats pretty much the reason. Takes for ever to upload 5 pics at the time when you have as many as I do to share. Everywhere else allows you to like the image from photobucket except this site. I will update when I get time but until then you gotta look at the other sites to see all my pics. Been going 6-7 days a week now, things have finally picked up:drinkup
Pictures of my work: No, I'm sorry Dirtman2007... I was looking at the wrong name... Again, my apologies. OCR
are you booked till christmas yet? *** we could all only wich so much
I think he means me. :drinkup:drinkup:drinkup Sorry Dirtman, better luck next time. HAHA.
You know what farmer, I hope you skid out on your tractor in the snow and hit at tree! I'm enjoying my shorts and flip flops. Don't ya wanna be just like me LOL
I wish, but I've got a ton of pictures to post when I get some time LOL
Hello Chris, I am uncertain about the above statement in bold. I did some tests and it took some time to upload/resize etc from my computer (minutes). However, when I posted the URL (from photobucket etc) for 5 pics it took just seconds to re-size and load. I wondering how you are trying to load pics that takes a long time. I might add that in Firefox I just right click on the image to "Copy Image Location" and paste it into manage attachments. Including all the Cope/Paste it took 32 seconds to load 5 images:beatsme. ..or am I barking up the wrong tree??
uploading pics when i upload 5 (high res) pics it only takes 3 or 4 minutes, i guess it would be quicker if they were lower res or i resized them ( i dont know how to resize them) if i do them via the URL it takes only seconds.
:lmao :lmao :falldownlaugh
Yeah I do the link through photobucket. It takes a about a minute or less for 3 pics, not long to some but if your doing 25+ pics it takes some time. But I'll stop my whining, its not that bad, I'm just impacient. thank for taking the time to do the test tho. What I was saying was you just can't link the pictures from photobucket using the: thing on there.
Yes, that is correct, the forum doesn't allow Inline linking because when you, or anybody else, moves those pictures in Photobucket or whatever the host site is, then the thread to which they are linked is trashed. It also chews up the bandwidth and slows the forum down...pretty much for the same reasons why sites like Wikipedia don't allow it...here's an extract: Please remember, there are over 8000 members here now and that could mean a lot of Inline Linking after a period and imagine all the dead links after a year or two. I checked all the forum functions because we want it to be as easy and accessible for members to post pics as possible....however, the integrity of the forum is usually placed first in deciding policies for these things. Its one of those cases of trying to have our cake and eat it too...
Pictures of my work: True, true, true... I thought it was you... fArMeRkNoWsBeSt... LOL And the tractor you posted is the one I was referring to... But you didn't answer my question... And Chris (Dirtman2007), your pictures and posting skills are second to none. I think I've made a comment or two in some of your past posts. Some where with in those 40,316 views and 556 replies, I must have opened my mouth at least once or twice... :cool2 You too, Burnout....some of the very best pictures on the site... :thumbsup Keep up the good work... you're all a great asset to the forum... :thumbsup Now, if I could just figure out the rest of that stuff about posting pictures... :bash... LOL Paul... (OCR)
LOL, don't bring Burnout into the picture. last time I heard he had traded his 450 hoe in for a CTL... isn't that right Alex??? HAHA! and farmer is just jelous at me cause more people like to watch me dig dirt on youtube than watch him plow dirt with a tractor. booo ya LOL. oh btw warren, I got my Pin # from google today, the I can feel the money rolling in as we speak! so Enough with that, I've got over 50 new pictures to share, Lets Get R Done! Filling in the burn hole, getting stuck and root raking the field. I'm guessing that would be where that big stump hole was... 3 inches of rain and it made the perfect sink hole, and I found it! might as well smile, drug it out in less than a minute with the volvo.
Cleaning and raking all the underbrush out from around some trees. Then I had to leave the country and do a lil job in the big city... these houses are just way too close together
digging some more drain ditches.
Back out to the farm, home sweet home! Found some rock where I was clearing...
Clearing for some more farmland
So I've got a bunch of green wood to burn... how can I start this... oh yeah!, take the skid steer and steal a couple round hay bails LOL It worked!
Some more burning Oh so nice and peacefull, the you look in the background and see progress!
Ok it's been over two months since i've seen or started the dozer, still no need for it but I wanted to go out and start the motor and let it run for a little while. It's screaming for some dirt to push. So we loaded up the volvo and hauled it over to a job at a horse farm this is where the pond will be going
Started clearing and piling up the trees to burn. Loaded up the daewoo and took it to a small pond dredging job
Chris, I´m having a tough time deciding if you´re better with a machine or better with a camera. Great thread. :usa
Thanks man. I like my picures lol. It's fun go look back on all the stuff I get to do later down the road.
Chris if your not using the dozer for dirt work, you should by a rake for it and then you could keep it with the daewoo. That way you could keep the Takeuchi with the Volvo. It's not making you any money just sitting around.
baahahhaha, Chris, I like that your post begins with the dozer and how it hasnt pushed dirt in so long and you make it all sad and then you scroll down and it says, so I loaded up the Volvo.. bahaha.. Just seemed funny..
Lets get the pictures a rollin!!!! here we go, Got the daewoo unloaded, dredging out the silt hole in the head of a pond.
Burning down the house Then back to the horse farm to set the brush pile on fire.
Digging some drain lines for all the gutter down spouts to the pond. A little tight My rock wall I built
Tearing down a old retaining wall and building the slope out.
oh we are just getting started! Hauling more dirt in...
grading and packing the clay in place before covering in topsoil.
Ready for some seed and matting
Back to the horse farm to work on the pond.
just to keep things intersting I start more projects at the horse farm. Regrading all three riding arena at the horse farm. I got to Test the ol motor grader skills again! Before Hauling screenings in all graded and drug the second riding arena after it was rolled
the third arena, the inside one! before
another project, take all the rocks I've dug up and embed them into the hillside:beatsme thats what he wanted.
installing the overflow in the pond.
Awesome Chris! Yal sure do nice work! I pick up pointers all the time from just looking at your pics and videos. Keep em come'n brother!
whats your feelings on the grader front?
Awesome work I've been checking out this thread from time to time since it was opened. I'm also glad to see someone staying busy keep up the good work.
Chris you have some great new videos posted. Any pictures? Hope you are doing alright.
Yeah I'm doing great. I have been so busy lately I have not had much time to post pictures on here. Work has really picked up for us. hopefully I can get some pics up for ya'll today!
Well I guess instead of posting 100 pictures is would be easier to just post the two slide show videos of what I've been doing for the last month or so. Horse farm Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9BEftlVeQ8&feature=channel_page Horse farm part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGTLdgfQirA&feature=channel_page
Chris, you haven't posted any pics lately? Hope your staying busy working.
mostly posting at LS
Ls?
lawn site .com is where chris has been posting pics, in the heavy equipment section
I know some of the guys from LS are members here, but not many post(like me).. So who all here is a member of LS and whats your name? I am Junior M at LS btw..
I know we don't "own" any of you guys, and we certainly don't have any hard feelings that you belong to other sites besides HEF, but, like, do you talk on the phone about your one girlfriend while you're sitting on the couch holding hands with your other girlfriend ? :cool2
now that was funny.
good pic on there though i must say...
Dirtman2007 How come you didn't put in gulley traps some thing like this
:lmao I was having similar thoughts but no way could I have expressed it so eloquently , I can always rely on you to make me smile with one of your gems. :thumbsup
yes I've been really busy lately. so thats one good thing. I know I've been slacking on posting pictures here. I'm sure I've got well over a 100 that I need to post. I've been busted... I've been posting on another site
my I've been slacking, you better get the popcorn cause the Dirtman has been BUSYYYYYYY! Installing drain lines
more drain lines
pond is filling up
rock, rock everywhere... used the volvo to dig trench for a 3" pipe
laying some pipe. 2000' to go.
more and more to come
Installing a irrigation system around the arena.
more pipe work
testing the system and building a rock wall.
more work.
more line digging and testing.
haha, well I think I only have about 125 pictures to go... so let keep going Loading up the volvo and bringing in my rusty, trusty, brand new dozer Home sweet home
Blade is back to nice and shiny, took the volvo over to another site to load top soil to bring back to the farm to build a side storage lot.
grading out the storage lot. Then doing another horse arean job, taking all the sand out in putting screening down instead.
pushing and spreading sand
A simple drain line job
Then a little clearing job.
more stumping TO be continued :drinkup
Good pics Chris, looks like that ranch has kept you busy. I know you have it easy when you can wear flip flops to work. I hate to hear you have moved to another forum. Don't forget about us here!
Great pics as always Chris, thanks for sharing... what are they storing in that storage area that makes using topsoil ok?
trailers, a dumpster, a truck or two and the rest of the junk around the farm.
Back to the farm, well I never left from there, more drain lines and stuff
Grading out a parking lot next to the arena.
hauling and filling in for another horse trailer storage lot.
great pics chris got anymore pics of that beautiful lowboy
I'm bored so I'll load more pics, still busy busy busy! Digging and installing some drain lines, guess someone does not know how to locate cable lines... so I found them. they said rip them up... so I DID
Digging this pond bigger and reshaping the pond dam.
More pond digging
Burning
grading and shaping up the pond
Finished
Looking good, Bubba. Nice job.
Nice work as usual Chris!:usa What happened to the front glass on the Volvo?
its probably rolled up into the cab...though i know chris likes to sit in A/C all day so that can't be the case
No, in one of the pics, it looks like it has a few long cracks in it (bottom/middle right side).... The pic is one from inside the excavator looking out.
You damn right I like to sit in the AC:drinkup actually is broke when one of the rare time I had it raised. I went to lower it and when the glass slammed shut I looked up and saw the cracks.... man I was PISSED OFF!
Dug the hole for a pool. Clearing a right of way.
More clearing and hauling away
Installing a french drain and grading a swale out.
swale and matting
cleaning up stumps in a front yard
Any other pool pics?
Oh we are just getting started with the pics so here is a huge garage that burnt to the ground with some so called "jewish lightning" so I've been hired to clean everything up to the slab. the fire got so hot that it twisted this 5/8" thick beam
I love my scraper beam!
Finishing the demo and cleaning up
Now its time to remove all the trees that died in the fire
Digging to locate and fix a broken water line
Clearing trees at a chruch.
Done with the clearing, starting a new pond clearing job.
More clearing of the pond dam
Installing a new overflow and the owner was so happy he told me to clean up all the way around the pond.
Finishing up
Nice as usual Chris! Thanks again for posting. That cracked front glass has got to go. It's mess'n up your pics bro! That's gotta suck, have'n it break and not even hit anything with it...:Banghead What's the price tag on gett'n some new glass?
just a guess but i would say around $600
Some pretty fancy kenny's you guys have, really clean looking. Machines are always clean as well, if their were more operators like you the day would be so much more relaxing.
Read all this thread this past week and its just great, love the work and those foundations cut in the dirt a few pages ago looked like they were finished with sandpaper:notworthy
Some nice pictures I have to Imagine that the demo work would be kinda cool.
Nice get back to the dredging though I like the vids of you playing in the mud.
Been a busy beaver been busy with work, time for another update, yes I'm about 4 months out of date! pond dredging
finishing up the pond and starting another
Doing some bank grading and matting on another pond with the mini
Digging out another little watering hole
Grading off all the mud
Digging up and replacing a crushed and clogged drain pipe. it was installed too low so had to be replaced with two smaller pipes.
Great pics! how many times can you dredge and waste the material on site before you have to start hauling it away?
we keep it onsite as long as there is room. but sometimes there is just no place to put it other than haul it away. they job I'm on now, I'm hauling 400 dump truck loads of mud out of a pond to another dump site, pics later!
We dredged a little pond last year. Hauled all of the muck back to our sand pit and let it dry and stacked it.Man it made some decent topsoil!
yeah that fine silt makes for the best dirt when it drys out... WHEN it drys out haha!
When is for sure! Ours sat 8 months!
Very nice thread! I only got up to about page 28 but it's almost 1 in the morning now, I started reading it at 11
I know right...its like crack!!!!
doing more erroded creek work
more creek work, then clearing off a pond dam
more clearing, area of the pond to dredge out and some new mud matts for the mini!
pond dredging with the mini's
Pond done, clearing and grading project
Very nice pics, mats for the small machine work good? how is the suction lifting em out of the slop?
looks good keep them coming
Cleaning out a retention pond.
Covered the bottom in a compost Start of a new pond dredging and clearing
so I dug a ditch to drain the pond down. then I dug a big pit on top of the hill to hold some of the mud.
more mud playing fun
the fun continues
finishing up
little ditch cleaning up job Before
Clearing some more farm land, piling it up to burn it.
More clearing, brought my dozer in to help out
dressing things up
more burning
I hate spreading ashes with the dozer! more clearing
pushing up the brush with the dozer
i reckognized your equipment with the first look at this thread...i am big fan of your videos on youtube...keep em coming.. greetings from greece
Is that a blower on the back of that tractor?
The blower really gets the fires buring nice and hot when Chris goes to burn the debris from clearing. Too bad you can't burn everywhere--it's an easy way to get rid of all of the waste.
You thinking about getting a rake yet for the dozer? Seems you using it on brush almost as often as dirt any more.
Wow, but you keep yourself busy hey! Love the look of all your equipment. Dirtman, can we please have a roundup of all your equipment, its getting kind of hard to keep track of what you got, lol.
Dang, the joys of living in the south November and still in shorts. Glad to see your staying busy Chris. Got plenty lined up for next year yet or just trying to get through this year? As always, thanks. Trbo
Oh these pics are back from in Sept.- August. We haven't not even gotton into any recent pics yet! I've got another 100 or more to load LOL
Another clearing, burning, and grading job
burning and buring the ash pile
more pics, buried the pile of ash and graded the lot. Installed a creek culvert on another job.
I see on youtube you finally got to knock down an old barn with the track hoe, Chris. You got any pictures of that to post. How old was that POS anyhow? Looks like it came down pretty fast and easy with your big Woo. Nice job, man.
chris great pics and work, I was wondering if you ever move your minis in the dump trailer? I know the dealers say you can but i wanted some feedback from someone that has actually moved equipment on a regular basis in one.
nie pics der!ye seem ta ave nice weather over der!
wow. those were some awesome pics. you do excellent work and have some great looking machines. keep all your pics coming.
It's a shame that this thread slowed down. The pictures and descriptions were a great read.
only slowed down here......
Hey Chris, I just went through the whole thread that's a lot of scrolling with the mouse. lol I was wondering with all the pond, ditching, and drainage related work you guys do have you considered getting a tilting ditching bucket? We use them for pretty much everything up north here except in the winter, I do like the four tine thumb on your machines the JD 200D I run only has a two tine and it kinda sucks when I'm doing demolition jobs and trying to pick out steel pipes. Luckily the boss is talking about welding on a third tine some time soon I hope. Any way great read and keep up the pictures and videos.
Wow 4 months since I've put anything on here. I hope the sever is good cause I've got some pictures to post!:drinkup
Well now that I've looked back I'm back into the spring of 2009! Let see how good my memory is Clearing for some more horse pasture
pasture done and graded
Big pond dredging job. about 4000 yards of mud to take out of this pond and haul off.
more digging, transfering and hauling out mud
Loading, Hauling, dumping, and dozing!
using my mud mat for a 16' blade!
enough mud pics, she's done!
how have things been work wise down there lately? Seems like Michigan is starting to pick up, I'm just curious if you're seeing the same.
That one big mudhole ya found there dirtman. Looks like an ideal pond now, nice work. Does it have a creek feeding it, or rain water ditch?
I'm glad I don't have to clean your tracks after. lol And your machines sure are looking good.
Sweet pics! Seen some repeats and some new ones. Is the green mat grass blanket or some of that rip rap matting you guy's used on other jobs?
Just caught up on all your pics, here and that other lawn site. Very nice, you've inspired me to start my own colleciton of pics as I learn to be a Heavy Equipment Operator!
Well given my time again it is one thing that I definitely would do is photograph more of the work I did, just seemed to busy at the time; now the images are in the grey cells that are diminishing. Of course one must also consider that nearly everything has a camera now and digi-pics are easier to store than boxes of pictures...alot less involved posting them even...
Dirtman, Love your work. I saw your rates for the various equipment, but I was wondering how do you charge for things like putting out straw, burning piles, etc. (time not running a machine)?
Hey guys, know your posts and pics have been up a great while, but it gives me hope that I can make a comeback when the economy takes a turn for better with the residential and light commercial site work I used to do. thanks for the inspiration not to give up.
miss my little fleet like you guys have. I miss my 287b, 257b, and asv50, f750 dumptruck, 2john deeres, and our triaxle dumptrks, and can't forget the 312 cat hoe.
that so reminds of when I lived up in norcross, ga., and we would cleaning out retention ponds for the apartment complexes and subdivisions, but know back in south la, haulng oilfield equipment with one old truck and trailer.
Great 3 day read! No post in over a year? You're just rolling in that you tube money now arnt ya! haha great pictures man, I'm very impressed the level of finish grade you are able to achieve using just the ex. I always run get my dozer to finish up, might have to finish a few using the bucket. Take care n Merry Christmas
Man u something serious with that trackhoe.