This tractor was badly burned. The previous owner said it was in good shape otherwise and not worn out like all the other old backhoes. That was NOT the case at all. The transaxle was full of water and all the bearings were bad, so I had to rebuild that. Also I rebuilt the shuttle. It had worn parts as well . The clutches were worn out at the splines. I just painted the engine for now and hoping It will be fine. The tractor was stripped down to the frame and sandblasted and primed with epoxy primer and then painted with polyurethane paint. I eventually found another 580c for parts because some of these were so badly rusted. I have some "after' pictures that I will post shortly.
Here are some current pictures. The tires are all new. With the ones on the rear being 14 ply Michelins I purchased with wheels a little over a year ago from a guy in West, Texas. He unfortunately died in that fertilizer explosion that just happened.
WOW! It's a credit to you! Will be better than new when your done - a shame to dig with it.......
Nice job I think you missed your calling
Awsome work jpeters. I repainted my JD last fall. I didn't do a frame off resteration like you did and it was still a ton of work. The epoxy primer and polyurethane paint is much superior to what is was originally colored with. I still look at my old hoe with a nice freeling of accomplishment. I know you will do the same when your done. Looking forwards to more photos as you complete the job.:notworthy
I cant tell from your pics, if it has the "new electric shut-off" top cover on the pump..lol Got your letter..thanks..good luck with your project..TPG
Looks beautiful. I like that you are using new fasteners instead of just painting the old ones. Any idea how much time you have into it at this point? Is it just me, or is one of the rear tires mounted backwards? Steve
One tire is backwards. I didnt notice it till it was painted. The two tires I purchased from the same person I did not notice that when I picked them up. He had quite a few others. At $400 each I was so happy to get them for that price that i did not even look. No pump cover is not on it yet. At this point in time and realizing all the work I have put into this I finally realize that I am totally insane.
Like your work! that is a big job, it's looking good.
WOW! Nice job jpete!:drinkup Any idea what cause the fire? Also your parts machine wooden happen to have a spare parking brake assembly that you would be willing to part with? Our machine is missing everything but the cable, go figure! Looking to put one back on ours. Thanks, Ken
what a job i bow to the master. i'm not worthy i'm not worthy. trevor b
Looks great, have you ever been able to run the engine?
That is truly amazing work
Im gonna need your address so I can bring my 580c over and you can do the same thing to it. It runs good and and works well, but its got some leaks and I want it to look pretty.
In the beginning I did not really want to do all this work but since I left it so very long it rusted badly. I did not realize I was in for such a long project. So far I have not cranked the engine. I goal is to get the loader on the front and fill with fluids. I don`t want to run anything dry.
I was just thinking it could really ruin a day to do all that good work and get it put back together, then find out you have a bad knock.
That is awesome! Not the best machine on your fingers to run all day! A strong running C is one of the sweetest sounding machines you will ever run.IMHO
really nice job!!!!......if my C sees those pic's it will want that treatment too!!!