Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Piggy Back

Old Doug ยท 2020-02-29 11:42

Has anyone stacked a truck on anther by winching it up a ramp on to the fifthwheel or driveing it up some kind of ramp?

Replies4
  1. #1mowingman2020-02-29 13:32

    Yes, but it was a long time ago. On one of them we removed the driveline. On the other one, we removed rear axle shaft as I recall. I do remember we had some kind of steel beam built that attached to the 5th wheel and the front axle of the towed truck, then anchored to that. It took a "lifting device" of some type to "undeck" the second truck. FYI: The companies here that haul out the new Peterbilts do it all the time. Jeff

  2. #2Truck Shop2020-02-29 20:11

    I use to stack trucks with my old H750, the best and safest is with one of these.

  3. #3Old Doug2020-02-29 21:46

    I have 3 trucks all at different places to move one a trip. I havent checked yet but i hate to pay out several hundred to have some one lift them.I have a winch truck to undeck them. I think some kind of a ramp could be built.

  4. #4mowingman2020-02-29 22:42

    The main thing you will have to find, or fabricate, is the hitch assy., so you can hook the front axle to the 5th wheel. Three should be doable, and still be within state length limits. I believe you will also need some type of air jumper system so you have brakes on all axles running on the pavement. We moved ours with a one trip tag, but that was 25 years ago. Not sure if that type of tag would cover this now. Something you need to check on.