Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pilot or Electronic Joystick Controls

John C. · 2020-08-13 10:38

I got a call from a client yesterday who was thinking he was getting hosed by the local Cat dealer. He was under the impression that his 304E2 mini excavator had electronic pilot controls. The shop foreman was telling him that they would have to replace one of the controllers and do some other hydraulic system work and that the bill so far was about $12,000. The foreman was adamant that the joysticks were hydraulic pilots and not electronic. I don't have access to Sys so have no way of looking that up to check the claims. Does anyone know off the top of their head if Cat is using the electronic controls yet in the smaller machines?

Replies8
  1. #1excavator2020-08-13 11:29

    Just a real quick look at SIS and it appears to me that they are hydraulic.

  2. #2Jgm2020-08-13 11:45

    They are Hydraulic

  3. #3DEMLONE702020-08-13 12:50

    Electronic are on next gen mini's cats

  4. #4John C.2020-08-13 17:19

    OK thanks!

  5. #5Tags2020-08-13 18:10

    $12,000 SO FAR.....that's not a good day for anyone but Cat.....was the machine not properly maintained??

  6. #6John C.2020-08-13 20:46

    I don’t know the story yet. The shop foreman at this branch has a reputation of running up costs. Not many people trust him. $12,000 is a big expense on a skid steer for a landscaping guy.

  7. #7CM19952020-08-13 20:58

    $12,000?! What in the world are they having to replace John? Depending on condition and hours that could be 1/4 to 1/2 the value of the machine.

  8. #8John C.2020-08-13 21:03

    I’ll let you know when I find out.