What are the big differences & positives/negatives of each? What do most operators prefer?
Most operators don't like to wobble when they are trying to pilot the machine! Just kidding. Both are great but I prefer the wobble sticks just because I have finer control. I always seem a little "off" when I get on the newer Cat 420e with pilot controls. My older 426c seems easier to do finish work with. There seems to be a control difference between the two that I can't quite identify but some of these other operators probably know about and can easily explain.
The Pilot controls are awsome, we have both controls on backhoes at my work place. I would take pilot controls over wobble sticks any day, the pilot controls are alot less operator strain on shoulders and once I tried it I never want to go back to the old wobble sticks.
I was sceptical when Case first introduced the pilot control machines as I grew up around the old Case pattern, not even wobble sticks. I am a lifelong Case mechanic , not an operator but after being around the pilot control and seeing the preciseness of the lever controls I was impressed. I like the idea of being able to adapt easily between and excavator and the wheel hoe so equipped. Just a mechanics observations.
Both are fine, but if I was buying a new one it would have pilot controls.
i had a case 590 super r with pilots ,ok for general work if you do not try to do too many functions at once but if you need "feel" through the controls then its sticks , i have gone back to sticks ,so has another operator who had a NH110B with pilots