I have a question regarding pin and bushing replacement on an excavator. I would like to do this job on a small machine (Takeuchi TB015). I have looked over the web to understand what is the best approach. I have seen people pushing with big hydraulic cylinders, people cutting the bushing with a sawzall or cutting with a torch. It seems heating is the secret of succes. Is it possible to confirm this affirmation I'm looking on the best heating strategy. Is someone have ideas to share about it? I'm scare to damage metal behind the bushing. Thank you
I use a stick welder to weld two or three beads axially along the length of the bushing, as fast and hot as you can. Let it cool completely and it will come out easily. Or cut with a torch, doesn't even have to go most of the way through, just a slice will heat the rest of the bushing enough to distort it the same as welding so it will be loose when it cools.
Thank you for your advice. Do you think forcing fast cool down with water may help?
Let the weld bead cool naturally for the best results. I "Think" the weld bead as it cools shrinks the bushing toward the ID. This is the same as welding a piece all on one side instead of alternating sides.. The final position will be pulled toward the weld bead. Fast cooling will freeze everything in place instead of letting the stress relieve itself. The same effect happens when welding cast iron, the CI does not move, so it or the weld bead cracks.
Good. I will test that on Friday and give you news
Hi I tried your trick. It is amazing how it is working great. I have removed 4 bushings in 15 minutes. Thank you very much.