JD 240 series II , bottom pins( bucket) will no longer take grease. How do I remove those pins or what is the required fix. I would like to do this before I wreck the bushings. The zerks are not clogged, I checked them already. Any advice would be appreciated.
I would unload the side of the pin weight wise and try to clean the area under the fitting with a pick and spray solvents , maybe even a 0 angle pressure washer aimed in the hole before I pulled pins out.
Is the machine parked outside in the winter? If you could get it in so that the pin is room temp or so that will help some. Also keep the greese gun in the warm will help alot. There is also a tool that squirts diesel into the zerk to free them up, I think the name is "greese joint rejuvinator"
I have used a small gas torch like a plumbers to soften the old grease then pump warm grease into the zirk.
Here is what I do. First remove existing fittings and see iff clogged, then repl with new and try to pump in grease. If that not work, remove fittings and take a squirt can with marvel mystery oil and squirt in the holes only after taking a pick and removing any dried up grease, then let set for a bit. Put fittings back in and retry, if still clogged, remove fittings again and first start by heating pin, use caution as materials inside will burn and cause smokey condition, look for oozing grease out sides of bushing, then heat loader arm bushing, keep switching back and forth, with gloved hand and pliers, thread fittings back in, connect gun and force until gun pressure pushes blackened heated grease out, and new grease is observed. If freed up, let cool then regrease and cycle loader, and clean exterior mess, also can clean and repaint if disired. Get into habbit of greasing machine every day you use it, especially the areas that are in the debris area to prevent dirt and water contaminating pin and bushings. Hope this helps.
Thx guys , I will try that. FWIW this machine never sits outside now that I own it but I think it did prior to me buying it. It was around 5yrs old when I bought it, but only had 231 hrs on it.