Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pipelayer Cat boneyard

JTL ยท 2011-01-23 15:28

I drove by this place everyday for 3 months about 10 years ago, so this past summer I finally went back over there and took some pictures.

Replies20
  1. #1JTL2011-01-23 15:31

    I belive this is a D9. Not quite sure what the basket is for.

  2. #2JTL2011-01-23 15:36

    Looked to me like they just walked this one in. I don't think I'd like to be sitting there if one of those cables broke.

  3. #3JTL2011-01-23 15:41

    A few more of these ole girls in randon states of disrepair.

  4. #4580bruce2011-01-23 17:41

    There was an auction not long ago in Eastern wa.Moses Lake I think,much of the stuff they had lookes just like that.

  5. #5JTL2011-01-23 18:04

    I took these pics last July, just north of Pasco across from the rail switch yard.

  6. #6fast_st2011-01-23 18:42

    Wow, awesome pics, a little history there for certain!

  7. #7Buckethead2011-01-23 18:53

    The tractor with the basket on the front looks like a D8. The brackets on the sides would have had welding machines. I think the basket is for skids.

  8. #8EGS2011-01-23 19:35

    The basket in the front is for the bending crew. It would carry skids, about 8" x 8" timbers. Looks like some nice older machines, is this at a pipeline companies yard?

  9. #9Buckethead2011-01-23 19:51

    Notice that one tractor has the left track frame extended out away from the machine.

  10. #10surfer-joe2011-01-23 19:56

    Looks like some of the stuff a former employer of mine is still running. Pipelayers never wear out or become obsolete. All they gotta do is raise the pipe, and lower the pipe. Not especially difficult use. There are many pipelayers out there over fifty years old still working every day.

  11. #11JTL2011-01-23 20:29

    That basket Cat is most likley a 8. It just looked bigger than the other ones to me. I don't know if the yard is owned by a pipeline outfit or by the wrecking yard next door. There was a bunch of other old iron setting around there.

  12. #12EGS2011-01-23 20:33

    On a side note those timbers that go in that basket burn great in my outdoor wood burner.

  13. #13Usernametaken2011-01-23 23:09

    Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

  14. #14Jdigger41302011-02-11 01:33

    Thanks for posting these JTL. Of special interest to me is pics of the offset finals on the 8s! The CAT equipment dealer in my area (Peterson) are the team that designed that for Bechtel in 49 for there "Super inch" pipe line project. Buster Peterson figured out to move the track out 53" adding A 20' boom and 10K of hyd counterweight. Machine increased tipping capacity by 50%. I have never seen one around here! Thanks!! If you happen to see one his SxS D9s or A Quad track SHOOT THEM TOO!! Schnitzer steel is said to have one here in Alameda Ca but I know noone or have A way to get on to there shipping pier!If I can I will post it though. Count on it!

  15. #15JTL2011-02-11 14:38

    I had a feeling that Peterson had a hand in the development of that offset final setup. I've seen a few sets of quads around the area. Scarcella Bros. has a couple sets. Don't know if they are Peterson or Cat built. Never seen SxS, other than in pictures.

  16. #16Dr. Ernie2011-02-12 09:18

    The Strech 8's that were purposly built for the NAVY using D-8, 9-a's and 14a's also used a axil extention that looked idintical to the one pictured, it would be interesting to see some more close up pictures. Just one more step closer to building a replca Strech 8...

  17. #17JTL2011-02-26 20:04

    Well since I'm back in the Tri-Cities working again, I thought I'd drive by the old boneyard and have a look around. Low and behold, this is the only machine left on the site! They have cleaned up everything, even the sage brush!

  18. #18Louis 955 jr2011-02-27 20:23

    This is awesome! Ive never seen one up close, but id like to run on of them one of these days

  19. #19Lee-online2011-04-10 15:29

    Really cool pictures of the old equipment just sitting out in a field. We have an old 583H in the shop now. It is a 61A300 serial number so i would guess it is a mid 1960's machine?

  20. #20d8howner2014-10-27 09:58

    Anyone know where I could find a sideboom for my D8H? just the boom, already have the winches and cw assembly round or box doesn't matter and max load is 25,000 lbs. at 10-15 ft.