Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pitman Polecat question

hughjazz ยท 2015-01-17 00:30

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help. I have a 1985 pitman polecat digger derrick. 34' reach p1333 maybe? The problem I'm having is it leaks out of the turret area. Like a steady drizzle when spinning. I am not able to see where it's coming from, but it looks like the same issue was addresses a few years ago before I purchased it. I think it was a seal on the rotator gear. Sorry I don't know the terms. Anyway, I was looking up in there today and it looks like there is noticable play when spinning one way, then the next the smaller gear (not the slew ring) seems to shift side to side. I am guessing that is not normal? I can handle the leak for now, but am I damaging anything? It doesn't make any unusual noise. So at 30 yrs old, can this assembly be rebuilt? Any Ideas if the whole boom has to come off? Can parts from another pitman boom fit? I'm just looking for a game plan to get this working. The shop says "swing it by" but its 80 miles away,and $120/hr so I'd prefer to get my ducks in a row if I can first. And I don't really have the time. Thanks john

Replies1
  1. #1td25c2015-01-17 07:22

    Just drove our digger derrick in yesterday for some repairs ( oil leak's ) . I need to repack one out rigger & also have a mystery leak from the turret area . It's a 1977 Pitman Polecat PC 4 F . May be totally different setup from yours ? If it's leaking mostly while swinging the boom I would look close at the hydraulic swing motor shaft seal . Looks like we go to these guys for parts http://www.nueco.com/altec-nueco--new-used-parts