Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pittsburgh Police S.O.A.R. program

digger242j ยท 2010-08-28 22:43

S afe O perations A re your R esponsibility I only got word of this program yesterday, so I didn't have time to post it here as an upcoming event, but I did have the time to attend. I have to say it was REALLY worthwhile. :thumbsup I didn't take a truck, but just stood around watching and listening as the Officers did their inspections. Also, there was plenty of time to ask questions, and get authoritative answers. There were all sizes of trucks there, from pickups towing trailers full of lawnmowers, to 18 wheelers, and inspection teams from Pittsburgh and many of the other local municipalities, as well as quite a few from the PA State Police. If they ever hold a similar event in your area, I'd highly recommend going.

Replies1
  1. #1Truckie2010-08-30 20:17

    Digger it was good to see you there, like I said before I just wish we had more time to talk after words but we were being pushed out so they could get more trucks in. The truck I had taken to the program was the rig I use to own. It is a 2003 Mack Vision now owned by the company I work for. They pulled us in and the first thing that happened was the rad decided to crap the bed. It started leaking real bad. So that was the first write up. They went over the truck and found 1 right rear brake out of adjustment. They also found a couple airlines chaffing that needed to be separated. I bob tailed to the event and they did not like the fact there was no reflective tape on the upper outer corners of the mud flaps. So that was a write up. They also pointed out that the seal on the steering box was just starting to seep. Nothing to be wrote up or red tagged bout brought to out attention. They also checked out our 5th wheel as it was a custom build for there truck with some of the trailers we pull. All in all it was a worth while event to go to. You could ask questions while the inspection was going on and were able to be side by side to see what went on. I just wish I had more time to look around after my inspection. Like Digger said if your area ever sponsors one of these it is worth while to attend. We left with only write ups of things that needed to be fixed. No citations were handed out that day. It was a free pass day.