Guys, I have a 1979 Ford L9000 Dump truck that recently has been intermittently darting to the right. Also, when changing lanes on a crowned road it will suddenly pull to the right. It does not happen all the time and does seem to be worse when loaded. I was heavily loaded going down a sharp right turn on a country road and it grabbed and went to the right twice. I have new rear tires (not retreads) and a new steering box, the front tires have passed inspection although I suspect I will need new ones pretty soon. Can you guys tell me where to look for the problem? I have pulled and tugged on the front suspension components and nothing is obviously loose. Also can you tell me what type of rear suspension I have (hendrickson)? I have attached pictures so you can try and spot any obvious things. Thanks in advance for your input.
Hi Jim.You might check for loose u-bolts on the steering axil & possibly a broken center bolt on the left side steering axil spring.Another thing to check is the king pins.If a king pin is tight it can make a truck jerk around abit as the steering box is always fighting against it.Looks like you have the hendrickson suspension on the rear.Thats a good looking 9000 Ford.
It does sound like the front axle loose, broken spring center pin or bad spring end pin. We did have quite a bit of trouble on a big ford with the steering box coming loose and moving around. Did it do it before the box was replaced?
maybe a wheel bearing locking up?? When it jerks to the right, is it un-controllable?? Pj
Guys thanks for your comments. It did do it before the steering box replacement and no it is not uncontrollable but I don't feel good about letting somebody else drive it and it makes me nervous. Sometimes I wish I had spent a little bit more money and bought a newer truck. She picks at me a bit (always seems like something is going on). No show stoppers but irritating.
ry checking your power steering pump. My mack did the same thing. CHecked everything and couldn't find anything wrong. Then we checked the pessure from the pump and it was fluctuating and making the truck uncontrolable. We changed the pump and it drives like a new truck. A good truck shop should be able to check this for you.
I like your truck. Here is mine.
Have you checked your toe in? If too much toe in will make the truck dart.
Grandpa, no I have not checked toe in, but my driver's side front tire is wearing on the inside more than the outside. What an out of whack toe in cause that kind of wear? Thanks for your input.
Rather interesting to see hydraulic disk brakes on the front of a tandem truck. Must be a plumbing nightmare with that and air on the rear. I have a single axle L8000 with hydraulics disk on the front and when a brake caliper started to hang up the truck would grab every little groove in the road. Acted like a bad tire and it would do similar to what you describe.
Guys, I wanted to thank you all for your help and give you a follow up. I had 2 new front tires installed and the front end aligned. The shop said the alignment was way out and also they put that balancing fluid in. The truck is much better all though on sharp right turns it still will pull to the right. But it is 90% better. The shop also thinks my rebuilt steering box has too much play in it. Thanks again.