I’ll be retiring possibly next year and plan to buy a TLB with lower hours while I’m still working. I'll be clearing wooded bottomland and digging ponds until I run out of $ for diesel or croak. My 580M non-turbo has almost 9K hours and still runs great but I’d like a machine with extend-a-hoe, more power and possibly 4-in-one front bucket. My buddy had a 580 Super M series 2 that handled a 36” bucket as well as my standard M handles a 24” and was much stronger when digging up big roots. I’m looking for a 580 or 590 Super M with 4000 hours or less. Any recommendations on the pros/cons of the series 1, 2 or 3? I’ve had two machines with the Cummins 4B and never had the first bit of trouble but since that engine is limited to the series 1, low hour machines are hard to find. Anyone with experience with the 590s? Low hour 580 Super Ns are actually cheaper around here than the Ms but I’ve been advised to avoid them. Any thoughts on the 4-in-one bucket? I’ve been told the 4-in-one buckets are great until you “warp” one.
Would much rather have a clam in an Extendahoe. Got a 4 in 1 for my skid steer and was very disappointed. I ran a Case 580 E with a 4 in 1 and thought it was pretty good but bucket wasn’t deep enough. It had a clam on the back and I found that more useful than a thumb but I guess it all depends on what you’re doing. I will say, if I could get a 4 in 1 for my backhoe for 2k or under, I might think about it. Only thing I didn’t like thought, always felt like I was picking up only a half a bucket full.
If whatever model you buy has a power-shift transmission find out if the module that controls the transmission is available if you ever need to replace it. Here is thread about an owner of a 580SM and it has a defective module in it. HeavyEquipmentForums
I run a cat 4-1 80" with teeth on my 259D3 and had a construction attachment brand before I got the cat brand. I love it ,it is my primary bucket. Only time I get 1/2 a bucket is when there is only 1/2 a bucket left to get LOL but like I said it is my primary bucket so I have had lots of practice with it, I am like a ninja with this thing. If it blew up tomorrow I would go buy another. What I like most about it is not having to run in to a pile or the pile spreading out as you do. When the pile starts to move I start clamming it. When I get down to the last bits I will open it up and pull the remaining stuff in to a line the come at that pile from the side clamp open then back drag it then clamp shut. I also like the dozer part of it. And when I load in to a truck I can open it to dump instead of tilting the bucket. The only time it sucks is if you having chunks that prevent the clam from closing all the way and the smaller stuff falls out but I will just open it back up let it all fall out and take a different bite or close it up on hit it from the front My friend was disappointed in his also and was none to happy with me for recommending it to him, but I don't think he really gave it a chance
The transmission is a good point I hadn’t thought about. I definitely want the 4-speed. I’m told the Ipeco engine is a Cummins design turned backwards. Between the 580/590SM, and the series 1,2 and 3, are there any models you prefer or would avoid? At what point did emission controls, electronics, etc., really start impacting reliability? Are any of the early “N’ models OK?
I had a 2011 590SN, fully loaded. Simply an awesome backhoe. Wish I hadn't sold it. I would look for an older N series, pre DEF, over a late model M series.
The 590SN with extendahoe has 5' further reach with the backhoe than my 580M. On a lot of my farm work, this would be a huge advantage. There are times when doors on both sides of the cab would also be really handy. That's on my wish list, too.
They are heavier, much better at pushing material, they stay planted, tons of power, great lifting specs if that matters to you. It had a 1.25 bucket so you could actually move some serious material. I replaced a couple hoses and that was it. I bought it at 1100 hours sold it with just under 3K hours and got all my money back when I sold it. However, I should have never let it go.
Why a SN over a late model SM?
There were some boom problems on the 590M's. The N fixed that, and the N has a lot more lift capacity at the boom. The machine is more refined overall.
How are those FPT engines for n long term reliability?
I think they make a very good engine. I am not aware of any issues, these engines are also in CaseIH farm equipment as well.
The engine I was calling Ipeco is actually IVECO but you folks probably knew that and are just being nice. So, is the Iveco design related to the old Cummins in any way? A parts guy at my Case dealer told me it was built to a Cummins design.
Iveco was used in the newer Fiat-Allis equipment they are not a bad engine but can be very complex and require a bunch of special tools. Oh and parts can be a problem too.
What kind of boom problems did the 590Ms have?
cracking the boom
Cummins and Fiat had joint venture to develop engines that I believe started between Cummins and Case IH in the 80s. The JV was dissolved around 2010, but up to at least 2016(last time I spent considerable time around FPT engines) they still looked like a Cummins when you squint.
I found a 2010 590SM with 5300 hours nearby for the low $40s which is more hours than I want. 4WD, extend hoe, plain loader bucket, aux hyd., 2 doors, 4 opening windows, ride control, pilot controls, adapter for M backhoe buckets, Powershift. I did a quick check of the Case website, Broken Tractor, etc. and significantly less parts available than for my 580M. No internal engine parts, rebuilt engines, or transmissions.
Sounds nicely loaded. Does it look like it was maintained well? As a 2010 that must have been one of the last of the M series.
Might be loaded but they need to drop the price at least 10k, especially with that many hours.
I mistyped; it's an "N" not an "M". According to the serial number it was built in November of 2010. I didn't run it as it's more than I want to spend. It's definitely overpriced. KSSS, how did the 590SN compare to a 580SN in backhoe work? If anyone knows of a solid 590SN with 4000 hours or less let me know. I'm not in a hurry.
When craning precast its lifting ability with that system it has to prioritize power to the boom is huge (if that is something you do, we liked it for septic systems and setting manholes and french drain components). The control feel is very similar, but with the extenda boom extended out it handles the weight much better, without feeling unstable. It's added weight helps everywhere really, push and loading material, and handling bigger dig buckets on the backhoe end. A 580N WT is very similar to the 590, that might be a good option as well.
I hadn't thought about a 580 WT. Looks like they're similar to the 590 but don't have the longer reach. How is the wider track accomplished? It looks like the wheels are deeper.
The frame on the WT is bigger, heavier (it is the 590 frame and axle combination, than a regular 580. Axles are wider and the tires are larger than a 580. The 580WT is pretty popular here, but honestly, it is so close in spec to the 590 N I am not sure why it exists. I have never run one.
The 590SN is definitely a monster backhoe. Per Case specs, a 590SN tier 3 with cab, counterweight, extendahoe, and 4WD weighs almost 23000# . With my talent for getting backhoes stuck I'll have to be really careful. I've had to pull my 580M out with the dozer more than once. Most of the time I can push/pull/lift myself out, but I've never seen clay like what's under my bottomland topsoil in some places. It "pumps" when the lightest bit wet but if I don't clean it off my dozer tracks before it dries it's like concrete.
It is really hard to get in a regular 580 after running a 590. But if you don't need that much BH, a 580N is a good machine. If floatation is an issue, you might be able to put larger tires on a 580N. The front is pretty easy I think, I am not sure if the 590 rear rims would just bolt up, but someone at Case would know.
Replacing my Big Tex 22GN is part of the pre-retirement plan. I'm really happy with my Texas Pride 20K gooseneck dump trailer so I'll probably get their 36K gooseneck equipment trailer. That's more than my old 7.3 F350s will pull but I have access to a truck that will handle that.
BTW, I notice that Broken Tractor sells new aftermarket welded steel booms for the 590Ms for $7500. Obviously, there's a market.
When I was looking for a 590, I considered an M, the Case salesman told me about some issues with the boom on those. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known either.
Probably because the cast booms can't be successfully repaired. $7500 seems like a pretty good deal actually.