Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Plastic Enclosure on a Mini Ex?

1toomanyhobbies ยท 2010-09-11 15:11

Just wondering if anyone has used the plastic enclosure on their mini Ex. I'd like to get mine fully enclosed but I am low on cash because of purchasing attachments/trailer etc. I thought esp for winter time it would be nice to keep out rain or help with cold. Thoughts?

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies20
  1. #1jrtraderny2010-09-11 23:00

    Yep, had one on a Deere 27C. Sure beats being out in the weather. jr

  2. #2strott2010-09-12 14:40

    Better than nothing but not too good if your working in confined spaces or near obstacles as the plastic is not easy to see through so when reversing so you are not sure how close you are e.t.c because the ripples is the plastic distort your view.

  3. #3245dlc2010-09-12 19:09

    I have seen guys with open rops track loaders like Cat 939 size make they're own enclosures with plywood and plexiglass for the side windows. I imagine it wouldn't be to hard to do something like that for a mini excavator. And maybe routing a couple of coolant hoses into an aftermarket heater core could help keep your feet warm. If anybody knows how to survive in the cold it's us Canadians.

  4. #4Hendrik2010-09-12 23:11

    Just get some cling wrap and..........

  5. #5KDL2012-02-07 15:26

    Hey Guys.. been lurking around for a while and finally decided to join up. Great site! I have a 2009 Kubota KX41 that I'd like to get a plastic enclosure for but I'm not having any luck. Any suggestions?

  6. #6jrtraderny2012-02-07 17:28

    try these guys. http://www.fremar.com/

  7. #7KDL2012-02-07 18:39

    Thanks, just sent them off an email. Hopefully they'll have something that fits.

  8. #8Jlillie22012-02-08 14:54

    Or make your own with **** layin' around the job site. Thats what I did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTfVhrXEhb0&feature=related

  9. #9KDL2012-02-16 03:54

    So I haven't had any luck finding a cab or plastic enclosure for my Kubota KX41, if anybody come across a company that does custom work please spread the word. @ Jlillie2 - Appreciate the suggestion but I'm not much of a craftsman and I just purchased the machine brand new so I don't want to end up butchering it just yet. Although if I can't find any other alternatives I might just have to give it a go.

  10. #10jrtraderny2012-02-16 07:23

    see if you can find anyone in your area that does boat canvas, most of them can sew in the vinyl windows too. jr

  11. #11Jlillie22012-02-16 08:18

    I didn't remove or cut anything, so 'butchering it" wouldn't be how I'd classify the cab I built for mine. The machine itself hasn't been modified in any way. ( I wasn't interested in having my ROPS's give way.) I've had soft cabs on other machines before, and looking through the wavy clear plastic is not good for visibility. I'd rather not have a cab at all than have on I couldn't see out of. (But I'm not fond of snow on the seat.) B-)

  12. #12KDL2012-02-16 16:39

    Just to clarify, I didn't mean that you had butchered your machine. What I meant was that if I tried to piece something together, I would more likely than not end up butchering my machine. And yeah I feel the same way about visibility being top priority but with all the rain we get down here the no-cab thing gets old pretty quick.

  13. #13KDL2012-02-16 16:43

    Thanks.. I'll be checking into this.

  14. #14Jlillie22012-02-16 16:51

    Yea, I just wanted to make sure you knew that I didn't mess with the structure of the ROPS, thats a great way to die. And not quick and painlessly either.... B-) Home depot sells sheets of acrylic you could use for the windshield, just don't use glass. (Unless you have access to safety glass.)

  15. #15KDL2012-02-16 16:53

    Thanks.. I'll be checking into this.

  16. #16TCM2012-02-18 20:30

    X2 on the marine canvas idea. Canvas boarder with clear vinyl windows, snap on and off quick. The price would be right and it would look good too.

  17. #17Hendrik2012-02-19 18:29

    Well they do make cabins for the KX41, pretty rare over here but reasonably common in colder climates. If you don't need to remove the ROPS to access tight jobs, a proper cabin would be the go. However finding one would be very hard. I would hate to think how much Kubota would want for one?

  18. #18Jlillie22012-02-22 13:34

    It was about $4000.00 (US) for a used one for my machine, thats why I built one.......

  19. #19dloiselle2012-02-23 15:31

    You should be able to get one without a problem. I had a 121-3 that I got one for. My buddy has it now and he loves it. The visibility left a bit to be desired, especially ona frosty morning, but it sure is nice to be in out of the wind. They will actually build up a little warmth too.

  20. #20Colorado Digger2012-02-24 13:33

    just connect some 4 or 6" ads to the front of the radiator and pipe the heat into the cab. take some cardboard or blueboard and cordon off the sections down by your feet. rhwn use some visquine or 40 mm pondliner and wrap it around the back. i would not build an enclosure but just a way to keep warm while operating. carhart artic coveralls seem to help as well.