Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please Help! D5 dozer won’t start

D5YELLOWCAT ยท 2011-11-27 20:05

I was pushing up a pile a trees today on a significant incline and lost power. I own a CAT D5 dozer. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies7
  1. #1Ronsii2011-11-27 20:37

    Hello D5Yellowcat and welcome to the forum. Just off the top of my head how much fuel was in the tank If the fuel was less than half I guess the first thing I would do would be crack one of the injector lines and look for air, other than that I am guessing oyu have good oil pressure and the rest of the common stuff. What year/ser.# is the machine btw.

  2. #2rare ss2011-11-29 05:51

    I'd be thinking the transfer pump pressure is low, common fault as on dozers it will still gravity feed the system enough to run but under full load or on up a slope it wont be enough to get full power I'd check the fuel screen for debris and then check your transfer pump pressure

  3. #3Ricemiester2011-11-29 21:23

    Also the hand priming pumps go bad and causes pump to suck air. I've came across that a few times

  4. #4rare ss2011-12-02 07:59

    i also had a similar fault on a D350D artic dump truck, it cut out and wouldnt run at all, stuffed around with it for awhile (fuel filters, screen ect) then in the mixt the service truck came along and did the daily service, topped up the fuel and the thing fired up.. GOTCHYA checked the tranfer pump pressure and it was 0psi, with more than half a tank of fuel it'd run ok but under this level it'd stall and wouldnt start, stripped the transfer pump and it was U/S, reman one on it 32psi all sorted see ya later

  5. #5Nige2011-12-02 08:11

    I would check the simple things first. Open the drain valve at the bottom of the tank to check for water, inspect/clean/replace the fuel filter, check the fuel lines are not plugged with crap that's accumulated in the bottom of the tank, especially if at the first step you get loads of dirty water out of it. Once that side is checked out OK move on to stuff like fuel pressure. By the way it's recommended to drain the fuel tank of water and sediment daily ........ I'm sure you do that, right ....??

  6. #6sledgehammer2011-12-02 09:39

    yup-- same thing happend to me with my komatsu 228. the lower the tank got the worse it ran. also if you think you might have an air leak somewhere in the fuel system just pressure up the tank. fuel will start spraying out of the leak.

  7. #7D5YELLOWCAT2011-12-11 11:29

    I appreciate very much your responses, and was able to Get it going....for a little while, at least.