Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

HELP! Int. 500- Starter motor continues to run after starting?

last1leftnh ยท 2011-11-28 06:08

Has anyone ever experienced this? It happened all of a sudden one day while I was putting the dozer away in it's shed. I was backing it up when all of a sudden the starter motor engaged? So far I have replaced the "Key switch" and firewall mounted "Solenoid" with no change. Here's what I have discovered. If I prevent the engine from starting then everything works fine. If I turn the key switch to the "start" position the starter begins to crank and when I let it go back to the "On" position it stops. The problem is that if the engine starts the Starter motor will continue to run unless I turn the key to the "Off" position, then it will stop. If the engine is running and the key is in the "Off" position and I turn the key to the "on" position OR the "Acc" position the starter engages?? Unfortunately I don't have a wiring schematic for this machine so I'm a little blind on it. My only thought is that somehow the Alternator is backfeeding to the starter? My other concern it that the Battery ground cable is only about 10" long and is bolted to the metal case that houses it. If I lost a ground strap to the engine block would this cause it? Short of getting a wirring diagram, my next two tests are going to be using a jumper cable from the battery ground terminal to the engine block first then removing the drive belt from the Alternator next. Any thoughts would be appreciated. If anyone has a wiring diagram for this machine that would even be better. Mike

Replies2
  1. #1willie592011-11-28 20:48

    I think I would disconnect the wire that goes from start terminal of switch to firewall relay, then run a temporary wire from switch to relay. Then run a temporary wire from firewall relay to starter solenoid in same fashion, see if that makes your problem go away.

  2. #2last1leftnh2011-11-29 06:05

    Sounds like a good plan wille59. I did find a wiring diagram that I think is the correct one? It seems like there is some kind of relay between the the key switch and the starter solenoid on the firewall? The start wire goes to the relay first. According to the manual "The start circuit contains an A.D.L.O. (Automatic Disconnect & Lock out) device which switches off the starting motor when the engine reaches approx. 500 RPM. and prevents it from operating again until the engine stops." Interesting?? Maybe this relay they show on the electrical diagram is this A.D.L.O. they talk about? It also has some wires feeding it from the voltage regulator. That gives me something to look for now!! Thanks. Mike