Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please Help? Should I get this 580E?

Peter23 ยท 2012-04-07 17:02

Hi, I found this Backhoe on Kijiji. It's a 1986 Case 580E! Super? 2wd. Has 7000h. He wanted 14.000 for it but I told him I would take it for 11.500 and he agreed. It will be my first Backhoe. I went to check it out everything works runs and drive smooth. The overall condition is ruff, has missing lights, some rust, pins are loose, seat ripped, but nothing to dramatic I guess. One cylinder is leaking needs to get replaced. Both front tires are in bad cheap. He has 2 rear spare tires that he inlcudes. I have been looking for 2 weeeks now for a Backhoe and I found many good ones on ebay but they are all gone now. Could someone tell me if this is a great deal? its listed here thank you http://manitoba.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=367407552

Replies10
  1. #1trevor b2012-04-07 18:46

    look's not too bad for that price. has he got the side panel's? tb

  2. #2Peter232012-04-07 19:02

    Yes he does have them. HE took them off because it was very hot on that day. Also could someone tell how long will this machine last with its 7000h on right now, could i easily put 3000 h more on it?

  3. #3alrman2012-04-07 21:40

    Welcome to the forum Peter23! :drinkup It will go as long as you want - it all depends on how much time & money you are willing to tip into it.

  4. #4Deon2012-04-07 22:00

    Are you sure you want 2 wheel drive. If you want to push snow with it you will have lots fun trying to back up hill with snow in the bucket. 2 wheel drive backhoes are not very popular anymore but the good thing is that they are cheaper to buy.

  5. #5bowen2012-04-08 07:04

    That's a 580SE also called a 580 Super E, and very similar to mine except I don't have the cab and mine is low hours. I have spent about $3500 so far with misc items I would expect you might have similar needs unless the PO has already fixed stuff. Here on the farm, I don't really require 4WD but it's certainly a nice feature depending on your needs. (At times I do wish I had it) 4WD adds to the value of a machine, but also costs more to maintain and repair. In this area with a cab, a WORKING A/C would be needed for sure. (Cabs get muggy hot here working in the summer.) In real good shape I would think this machine was worth $14k. The bid deal is learning what it would take to replace all that needs attention. And with that many hours I suppose you have to be bit careful. I would ask lots of questions to see how well the machine has been serviced over the years. Brakes, parking brake, oil cooler leaking, engine noise, hydraulic pump + fan belt condition. Look for any and all leaks underneath including all the hydraulic cylinders, fuel tank, transmission and rear end. I think the 580SE is a good mid sized choice for older units. Another big item to consider is who will do the work to repair it. One needs a large indoor shop of some sort and heavier tools than I had before getting mine.:shf

  6. #6robin yates uk2012-04-08 07:58

    he removed the side panels because it was hot!! Check the radiator, check everything cooling related.You don't say what sort of work you do but 4 wheel drive makes life a lot easier when you need it.

  7. #7Peter232012-04-08 15:32

    The left brake doesn't work he said it's because it needs fluid or it needs to get replaced. Every time you hit the left pedal brake it stays back. I hope you know what i mean. Is this a serious problem? How much would it cost to get it replaced? He is the second owner and he used it only on his property, and the first owner a good friend of his was using the machine also only on his farm. He had it for 2 years and all he replaced was the starter. I was asking him if it had any major issues in the past and he said no. I will use the 580 mostly for digging. We have a pond on our land that I would like to expand a little bit.

  8. #8robin yates uk2012-04-08 20:23

    the more I read about this animal, the more I get a bad feeling.If I were you I would walk away and find some machine which has had an easier life

  9. #9shopguy2012-04-08 20:52

    I think a 2wd backhoe would be almost useless to do pondwork, (I have one and i do pond work)

  10. #10Peter232012-04-08 20:57

    Hi Shopguy, Could you explain this a little more? Why would be a 2wd useless for pondwork? I have never used a backhoe. Thanks