Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Please help with Lull 644 Highlander 2

Nick_atnite ยท 2016-11-26 12:43

Really hoping someone out there can help me with a vintage Lull 644 Highlander 2 I just purchased for help building our log home. Here are my specs: Lull 644 TT-34 Highlander 2 Serial #: P-118N Engine Serial #: LD 33470 - U500588V These are my current issues that I can't seem to get answers to anywhere (including my local dealer who is stumped :**) 1. My serial # (which Lull as confirmed as valid) seems to pre-date any known digital record, so I can't figure out what year it is. The dealer tells me to use the manual that was last printed in 1994, but the manual only refers to machines made in 1986 and beyond. My serial number isn't available in this manual so it's a bit tough. Guy I bought it from thought it was an 84' but wasn't sure. Anyone have any ideas to identifying my machine correctly? 2. After busting a hose in the inner boom that controls the forks, I figured out that the entire cable assembly that manages the hoses was non-operational and missing parts. I've ordered the missing parts (hopefully - since were working from a questionable manual) from my local dealer, but neither of us can figure out where exactly one end of the cable attaches. The drawing shows the routing of the cable through the three separate pulleys, and I found the anchor point on the front pulley for one end of the cable, BUT the other end of the cable is just shown "floating" out in space. No amount of research to this point has helped me determine where to anchor this piece to. Does anyone have any ideas? Any owners out there with a similar machine that would be willing to send a picture? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Admittedly, I know more about women than mechanics (and that ain't much!) but there's got to be a way to figure this out. Thanks in advance for any replies. Jim Hortonville, WI

Replies9
  1. #1joestewart2016-11-27 17:05

    Can you post a photo of your machine? If it is similar to mine, I can look at the hoses on my 644 and see where it attaches.

  2. #2Nick_atnite2016-11-28 12:49

    Diagram I don't have a photo of it yet, but here's the diagram out of the manual that shows it: Where the heck does the end of that cable attach to?

  3. #3joestewart2016-11-29 18:37

    Looked at your photobucket pictures. Your machine is identical to mine. Well, one end of the cable is on this hook (see photo), but I'm guessing you knew that already and it is probably the OTHER END of the cable that has become detached. My photo is of the extreme rear end of the boom. Had to stand on the rear bumper to take that photo. I could not see the other end of the cable, since the 644 is parked in my dark barn and it was 6:30 in the morning (sun is just coming up here at that hour). Will have to wait until the weekend and haul a battery over there and start the thing up, get it out of the barn and extend the boom. Hopefully can find out for you by Saturday night, unless someone else chimes in before then.

  4. #4Nick_atnite2016-11-30 19:14

    Thanks a bunch. You're correct, the photo you posted is the one I figured out already. It's the other end of the cable that I can't find a spot for. I was up there today putting the assembly back together and spent over an hour trying to figure it out. I did learn that I have a 1979 machine though. If you can get me a couple of photos of that cable arrangement I would be very grateful. Thanks again,

  5. #5joestewart2016-12-01 19:19

    Here is the other attachment anchor point for that cable. See photos. Its on left side of inner boom. A welded steel tab with hole drilled in center. The threaded J-hook that holds the cable is held into that center hole with nut(s) and washers as per diagram in parts book. Let me know if you need me to email you the images from the manual.

  6. #6Nick_atnite2016-12-01 21:14

    Dang! These would be great photos if I didn't have an earlier machine. My j-hook is attached to the front pulley as a tensioner and I don't have that welded tab. Your machine is what is shown in my manual after the first major serial # parts break, but mine is a really early model that is tough to find. Thanks a whole bunch for all your effort though, it's sincerely appreciated.

  7. #7joestewart2016-12-02 07:04

    Bummer. Can you consult the pros at "Web Equipment" or perhaps "Aerolift"? These guys dismantle telehandlers every day, and should be familiar with your set up. Good luck.

  8. #8thepumpguysc2016-12-02 08:18

    Way to go with the extra effort Joe.. we need folks like you around.!!

  9. #9Nick_atnite2016-12-02 17:52

    The Web Equipment guys were very helpful and the only ones that could get me the parts for the "rabbit" that I needed. The one tech that had experience on the older Lull's knew what I was talking about but couldn't remember where the end of the cable went. I'll definitely be calling them again. Haven't tried Aerolift yet but thanks for the suggestion. Worst case, I think I could fabricate a similar set-up to the pictures that you sent. Thanks again!