Hello , I have an older meyers plow with quick attach setup, 1/2" NPT quick couplers coupled down to 1/4" plow hose fittings. When operating plow left / right it goes much to fast... Looking for some inline flow restrictors,I've heard of inexpensive fixed ones,but can't find any... Bobcat has 3/4" washer like orifices but no 1/2".... I found one, see link http://greens-machine.com/catalog/i8.html , they are closed for the holidays... does any one have any info on where to find these.....Thanks
If you have a Northern Tool and Equip store near you, they should have an adjustable needle valve that would do the trick. If it works fast in both directions, just a needle valve will do. If it works fast in only one direction only, needle valve with free reverse flow is required. Keep in mind though, restriction valves of any sort will cause oil to heat up with continuous use. Restriction valves should only be used for momentary use to prevent heating oil.
You can get fixed restrictors in different thread and orifice configurations here: http://pressureconnections.com/default.aspx?page=Item+Search+Results&txtSearchText=restrictor&ButtonSearchHeader.x=0&ButtonSearchHeader.y=0&SearchFieldsList=Keyword&SearchSource=ProductSearch Adjustable restrictors are available here: https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7960-4&catname=hydraulic I also recommend you consider adding a cross-over relief valve when adapting a truck plow to a skid steer. That safety function is built into the truck plow hydraulics but is not available when plumbing into a skid steer unless a separate valve is added. You can see how I did mine here: http://personalpages.tds.net/~thompson_wp/bobcat/bobcatplow.htm Merry Christmas! Rod
Thanks for the info folks, I'll have to decide to go with fixed ( I've read several comments that 1/16" is a good orifice opening?) or Adjustable.... Merry Christmas! Ron
The thing about a fixed orifice, speed may be too slow or still too fast. Adjustable would allow you to "dial it in" to desired speed.
The ones we buy for work are nothing more than a standard hydraulic fitting with a hex socket type plug screwed into it. Then they drill a small hole into the center of the plug. We use them anywhere we have to worry about the end user increasing speeds to unsafe levels. If you go this route, start with a small hole 1/16" (as you stated) and increase it in very small increments until you get the speed you want. A small increase in size can make a huge difference in speed.
We had the same problem about 20 years ago. We took a short pipe nipple and filled it with solder, then drilled a small hole. If and when you need to make the hole larger be very carefull with the drill shavings.