Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Plowing Snow 2012

CAT140H ยท 2012-12-09 17:33

Last winter made only 1 complete round, this winter made 3 rounds already.

Replies59
  1. #1grandpa2012-12-09 19:08

    Last winter I made one complete round,,,, this winter NO complete rounds.

  2. #2biggrader2012-12-09 20:14

    Geez guys, I made 3 rounds last year and none this year. Some years I could make 3 rounds in a week. You both need some work on how to milk the job!!

  3. #3Cat 140M AWD2012-12-10 23:31

    Well i was out for 5 hrs today glad I put the v plow on had several spots where snow was 4 to 5 ft deep I got them all open for now my ditches are full so the next snow storm could be some big time drift busting.

  4. #4rm guy2012-12-12 09:37

    Haven't been out at all this winter.Snow is not far away but not a problem here.Got a nice 2 inch shot last evening.Starting to get like last year I never did do a complete round

  5. #5Greg2012-12-17 18:18

    Had 3.0" week ago which is all gone. Now talking 7.0" to 11.0" for Thursday the 20th. See what happens

  6. #651kw2012-12-17 21:32

    Made 1 round so far this year.

  7. #7rm guy2012-12-18 12:16

    talking 2 inches today but still nothing to get reved about.got nice snowmobile covering not like regina sk where they have a foot

  8. #8Cat 140M AWD2012-12-18 22:58

    Was out again today had 5 inches of snow that fell no wind with this snow so didn't have any drifts on the roads just lot of snow on them got a good 10 hr day in today.

  9. #9tigtim2012-12-19 19:18

    had 10 inches of wet snow got 15 1/2 hrs today. had a great day down some hills backwards

  10. #10buckshot_862012-12-19 23:46

    Have not been out since late November, did three days of plowing snow. At least two of those were on the weekend!

  11. #11CAT140H2012-12-20 08:24

    It's been kind of calm here lately, no snow plowing. We have 7 straight days of Hoar Frost so far.

  12. #12leachrod2012-12-20 17:32

    looks like fun, just had first snow of season or should say ice ,v plowed all cars to ditch oops.

  13. #13Cat 140M AWD2013-01-09 19:57

    got to do some more snow plowing today no real big drifts yet

  14. #14leachrod2013-01-10 07:46

    Rain that's what we get. Doesn't seem right. We need moisture but what the heck, it's. January .

  15. #15rm guy2013-01-10 08:41

    have had 5-6 inches christmas to now been out a little every day mostly cause everyone is spoiled and haven't had to deal with winter here for 2 years.Don't get me wrong its our job 2 keep the roads open but do we need every road open.Hardly any country folks any more,only a handful of school age stops in the whole rm,do the busses need every short cut.No matter the weather everyone still seems to make it to town to whine in the coffee shop.

  16. #16leachrod2013-01-10 08:52

    Love the coffee shop trips, when I have to clean snow all the farmers go to the coffee shop and complain about the roads. Soo funny, I tell them stop knocking my signs down with there combines and Ill see if I can find their road.

  17. #17bill onthehill2013-01-10 21:25

    That seems to happen a lot around here as well. Nobody ever knows but the field just got harvested 1/2 mile up the road.

  18. #18Cat 140M AWD2013-01-10 22:36

    I just tell the ones who complain about the roads that since your complaing I'm doing your road last works pretty good

  19. #19roadrunner2013-01-20 15:16

    Looks like we will be geting alot of rain this June with all the Hoar frost!(if you believe in that!) I sure do!

  20. #20leachrod2013-01-20 15:23

    Weird weather patterns this winter, still no snow past a day in wichita 50s all this week

  21. #21grandpa2013-01-20 16:20

    Seems to be getting back to normal patterns around here... Highs for tommorrow 17 below zero... the low's I don't even wanna talk about.

  22. #22leachrod2013-01-20 16:38

    Oh!!! Hope no wind

  23. #23CAT140H2013-01-25 13:42

    Condolence's and Prayers to the family of the Grader Operator that was killed in a Grader Train accident on Jan 24, 2013 in Northwestern Saskatchewan.

  24. #24leachrod2013-01-25 14:07

    Sad news, prayers to his family and friends

  25. #25tigtim2013-01-25 16:23

    Sad news indeed Prayers for him and family

  26. #26Tinkerer2013-01-26 07:02

    Sad news indeed. here is link to a newspaper article describing what happened. http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2013/01/20130124-141149.html

  27. #27562C2013-01-26 09:54

    That sucks. Trains hit stuff every day, pretty regular occurence.

  28. #28leachrod2013-01-28 06:39

    Can't believe this weather, 70s here today

  29. #29Randy Krieg2013-01-28 19:19

    16M Feeding the Blower at 30 below 0 and with the windchill it's was pushing -60, but we try to keep the road open. The things we do to find more oil?

  30. #30leachrod2013-01-28 19:22

    Omg!!!

  31. #31AKSNOW2013-02-05 17:21

    Hey Randy Krieg you on the haul road? I just quit after 10 years with Thompson Pass / Valdez DOT. Kind of looks like pulling and blowing we did with a 160 m sloper and Oshkosh "H" series blower (Cat C-15 blower motor).I will try to posts pictures but am having trouble with mine posting (I have Apple)

  32. #32Nige2013-02-05 17:57

    Randy, I hope that new 16M Cat gave you to play with is better than the POS we've got. Right now I have 2 out of 4 down with transmission failures .......

  33. #33Diagonal Brace2013-02-05 22:09

    Failures? Wow! Whats letting go? How many hours?

  34. #34Nige2013-02-06 06:19

    Clutch failure. Usually either forward, reverse or 2nd speed. Average transmission life to failure is 4000 hours. I think on our 4 we've changed about 8-10 transmissions so far. Also there are major issues with tandem seals leaking, plus steering problems. As far as I'm aware all of these problems are being experienced world-wide.

  35. #35leachrod2013-02-08 07:00

    Looks like a long weekend shaping up in the east, you guys be safe and warm.

  36. #36KevD8152013-02-08 11:49

    Could be looking at 2 feet here in central CT. We have some light snow and a couple inches at the moment but its gonna be interesting tonight.

  37. #37leachrod2013-02-08 12:13

    Those two storms meeting up over tonight and tomorrow could be very difficult ,

  38. #38KevD8152013-02-09 01:53

    Yep its ***king mayhem. I think the town might have to take the onamental V-plow off the front lawn of the Highway dept and put it on a truck!

  39. #39entasis2013-02-09 05:53

    chuckle

  40. #40trucker12013-02-09 06:09

    I'm in southern Maine, about 15 miles from the ocean. At 6:00 AM the local news reported that the town next to mine was reporting 30 1/2 inches of snow, with 6 or so more hours to go. Boy I hope they measured wrong. George

  41. #41leachrod2013-02-09 10:14

    Holy cow!!! You guys work safe.

  42. #42tigtim2013-02-10 07:43

    Yes 30 plus here had fun until 8.30 pm .then the motor went sparks ,flames out the exhaust then seized 20 plus miles from town .had a great day planed for today but no machine it was a Champion 720 VHP may rest it in piece.

  43. #43leachrod2013-02-11 20:35

    Hows all the snow work, looks pretty nasty back east. Work safe

  44. #44Cat 140M AWD2013-02-12 09:46

    Well ben out for the second day here in South Dakota no real big drifts about 5 ft was biggest I've ben through all year.

  45. #45tigtim2013-02-14 11:06

    Turbo went took bottom end of engine with it

  46. #46nateberry12013-02-14 15:26

    Yeah at my house in Scarborough we ended up with right around 34" +/- a little bit.

  47. #47Cat 140M AWD2013-02-25 20:50

    well this was 2 weeks ago but did find a few fairly deep snow drifts here in SE South Dakota

  48. #48Randy Krieg2013-02-26 13:35

    Change in Wind Direction Cat 140M AWD The wind is coming out of the south now so I think we're plowing and blowing the snow you had 2 weeks ago.... While plowing a parking lot in Deadhorse after the last storm I spotted this; it's the State of Alaska DOT's 16M which they left parked outside at the Deadhorse Airport. Glad I don't have to try and restart that one. The wind will change directions here again in another day and all this snow will be headed back your way :scool Regards, Randy

  49. #49grandpa2013-02-27 13:55

    Hey Randy,,, I'll trade snow with you. I've plowed here for 52 years now.... need to look at different snow here as it all seems the same anymore. This is a tree nursery we spent a week with two loaders cleaning out between. http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/parkrapids/0130131215.jpg

  50. #50Cat 140M AWD2013-02-27 14:07

    Lol Randy I wouldn't doubt it you guys can have the white stuff I'm ready to take the wing and v plow off and go back to blading roads again. I wouldn't want to be the lucky person who gets to try to start that M again looks little frosty there

  51. #51D&GExcavating2013-03-12 17:37

    This is what I had to deal with last week in my 163H. The townships wanted some big drifts busted but the rest of the roads were just slop.

  52. #52leachrod2013-03-12 21:54

    Looks familiar, been washing equipment off so I can see again

  53. #53Cat 140M AWD2013-03-12 22:04

    D&G I've ben there before hate that slopy mess looks like it's going to warm up hoping to get out and do some blading next couple of days

  54. #54leachrod2013-03-12 22:10

    I cut roads today, had 2" rain over weekend finished melting out snow in southern kansas still bad nort h of us they had more snow over weekend. I was surprised at how well my roads drained off and worked

  55. #55CAT140H2013-12-08 13:04

    Last winter we had plowed 4 full rounds already, this year we have hardly any snow and no plowing yet. No pictures yet. I'm sure it will come soon enough this winter. - 30 these last couple of days.

  56. #56Cat 140M AWD2013-12-08 13:11

    I've ben out twice so far this yr used the v plow more in these last 2 times then I did all last yr going to be a long winter for me.

  57. #57tigtim2013-12-08 17:09

    Well down here they cut more plows they parked my grader guess its not going to snow this winter here

  58. #58CraneInnovation2014-04-28 14:58

    Is this the view when you're working in Antarctica?

  59. #59Rowdy162014-04-28 22:45

    Yup, but if you drink enough of that crappy Kiwi beer it don't matter much.