Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Plumbing a Rotating Grapple for a 442

6.4twins ยท 2013-06-06 00:03

Hey guys! So we have had a 435 Bobcat Mini Ex for a about 5 years, we purchased a Rotating Grapple for it model 30. It works great for placing boulders and for dry stack retaining walls. We recently purchased a 05' 442 now we've been thinking about adapting the Grapple to 442, we can make the bracket pretty easily the only thing would be the plumbing. The 442 is already has plumbing for a Breaker. So we would need a Dual function Hydra Valve? The 435 uses the Swing Boom Hydraulics. If anybody has any info Thanks ahead of time.

Replies15
  1. #1pondo2013-06-06 19:54

    Hey. Do two more post ie test forum and maybe intro forum and then website will allow us to post picture. Pls post pic of two machine with setup.

  2. #2245dlc2013-06-06 21:20

    I would plumb in an extra valve despite the extra cost so you can still have all your regular functions. But maybe you could plumb it the same way you have your 435 setup and have a solenoid activated valve to switch back and forth? Is it a dangle type grapple by chance? Or does it use your bucket linkage?

  3. #36.4twins2013-06-06 21:54

    We were thinking about taking apart the 435 and copy cat it just looking into it before hand. Its a Bucket linkage here's a link, I dont have pics of ours right now http://www.tristatebobcat.com/rotating-grapple/

  4. #46.4twins2013-06-06 22:08

    Here's what the 442 Plumbing looks like right now http://zizengineering.com/imgs/a/a/x/z/x/bobcat__442_b_2006_6_lgw.jpg Im trying to find a pic of the 435 with the grapple.

  5. #5245dlc2013-06-06 23:17

    Well you'll need at least one more circuit probably for the grab function, I see you've already got the case drain line for the rotating part of the motor or at least that's what it looks like.

  6. #6cdm1232013-06-08 15:37

    Use the thumb circuit

  7. #76.4twins2013-06-08 18:56

    Are you familiar with the 442? Do you know which circuit it would be

  8. #8cdm1232013-06-08 21:52

    I have one but luckily haven't broken it enough to be familiar lol. but on the pic you showed of the stick with the hydraulics on mine the line on either side nearest the cab is connected to the thumb. I have know idea how to change the flow for say a hammer etc. But if some one does let us know...or when I get the time I could find the book ...if I have to...I guess.:laugh

  9. #9245dlc2013-06-08 22:03

    There is no dedicated thumb circuit it's just a regular auxiliary hydraulic circuit. When Bobcat first started marketing these 442's they were made available with a dangle type clamshell bucket, the auxiliary circuit you have in your picture is designed for the rotate function and that's why it has that third line as the hydraulic motor to rotate the bucket has to have a line to drain the case of the hydraulic motor. The bucket linkage wouldn't be hooked up so a ball valve would be turned diverting oil to the jaws of the clamshell. With what you want to do since you do want to use the bucket linkage you need an extra valve whether you install an additional valve block or use some kind of diverter valve on one of your other circuits. These 442's were actually manufactured by what is now Terex they use to be made by a company called Schaeff which was a German company. They are now called a Terex TC75.

  10. #10cdm1232013-06-08 22:17

    I knew that bobcat, Ingersaul rand and terex were all mad buy Scheaff but a thumb and a hammer would use different flow and pressure , no?

  11. #11245dlc2013-06-08 22:38

    I'm not entirely sure as I've run machines that had thumbs, hammers, and hoe pack's and I didn't have to do anything different to hook them up and use them. Thumb's and most other attachments except hammers use double acting hydraulics, however if you have a hydraulic motor you often have to have a low pressure case drain as a small amount of oil escapes the motor itself in order to lubricate some of it's components. But the confusing thing is not all hydraulic motors require a case drain they might have a different setup to lubricate those components.

  12. #126.4twins2013-06-10 23:16

    Ok so I had a little time this weekend to play around. I connected the grapple to the 442, like 245dlc stated the 442 has a rotation faction which is great! Now we just need hydraulics to the open and close the grapple. So maybe if we tap into thumb circuit? Or would it be the same circuit as the rotation circuit?

  13. #13245dlc2013-06-11 00:26

    That would likely be the same as the so called thumb circuit. European machines aren't generally designed to have a thumb as they prefer using grab's similar to what you got as they are far more versatile. I suppose you could put a diverter valve on your swing boom valve like you did with the 435, but I couldn't tell you if that would be cheaper than putting another auxiliary valve onto the machine because either way you still have some plumbing and probably some wiring to do. Hope it all works out.

  14. #146.4twins2013-06-12 00:41

    Ok so lets say we go with adding an auxiliary valve do you think we can use the same joysticks that the 442 has or would we need a kit, also price wise how much would it run? Thanks!

  15. #15245dlc2013-06-12 21:33

    Depends if you have any spare buttons on your joysticks as for cost I have no idea, you'd probably have to talk to your dealer or whoever does that kind of work in your area.